Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Default Re: Peace loving Progressives

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    Is the right to bear arms as enshrined in your constitition modifiable only by an amendment to said constitution or could a simple federal law modify it. or indeed could it be changed at state level?
    As per the discussion so far, Prospero, the theory is almost academic, and the likelihood of anyone attempting to pass such a law getting their head blown off would increase exponentially as a result. I'm exaggerating to make the point, but I hope you see what I mean!

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    Is the right to bear arms as enshrined in your constitition modifiable only by an amendment to said constitution or could a simple federal law modify it. or indeed could it be changed at state level?
    The Constitution of the United States can only be changed through the amendment process. It's the supreme law of the land, & controls the power of government itself. So, if you want to change it, it's no big deal. All you have to do is convince 2/3 of the Congress (both chambers), & 3/4 of the States.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Quote Originally Posted by hippifried View Post
    The Constitution of the United States can only be changed through the amendment process. It's the supreme law of the land, & controls the power of government itself. So, if you want to change it, it's no big deal. All you have to do is convince 2/3 of the Congress (both chambers), & 3/4 of the States.
    I know that's the process, Hippi, but with this particular issue, is it ever realistically likely to happen?

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Senior Member Platinum Poster

The right to bear arms is unlikely to be amended; however what individual states can do, as has been mentioned in other threads here, is regulate the access citizens have to weapons and the types of weapon that can be sold. The language of the constitution makes this clause a slippery one to get hold of, rather like the 'separation' of church and state which one conservative historian David Barton claims is not what the Christian revolutionaries intended...both have historical contexts that have changed: the US is not about to be invaded by the British Army, many Americans are not Christian, and so on. Every age defines its priorities in a context, perhaps that is why the Constitution's occasional lack of specificity has enabled it to last so long.

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    I know that's the process, Hippi, but with this particular issue, is it ever realistically likely to happen?
    No. But that's not to say that a future SCOTUS can't find fault with this latest ruling from 2008. The old ruling, from the '30s, basically said that the 2nd Amendment was a "State's rights" issue, in dealing with the "well regulated militia", & that it was nver intended as a personal right. That was the ruling that allowed the feds to regulate who could buy & own machine guns, sawed off shotguns, & various types of artillery. Everything's still in the air right now. I don't think anybody knows how far the '08 ruling can be stretched.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    I wish assholes would stop guessing at what I would or wouldn't say. If I want to take part in this conversation, I'll deliver my own lines, thank you.
    Past participation makes guessing entirely unnecessary. Or do you not already know more or less what I would say to another one of your attacks on GW? Right... That's what I thought.

"We are irritated by rascals, intolerant of fools, and prepared to love the rest. But where are they?"- Mignon McLaughlin

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

What??? Just don't put words in my mouth and then pretend you're rebutting my argument...that's all I ask.

Last edited by trish; 05-07-2011 at 08:49 PM.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.