Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Professional Poster

Default Re: Shooting Spree in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    And how does a paranoid schizophrenic manage to purchase a gun?
    why would anyone but a paranoid person even want to purchase a gun?

Elvis: I was dreamin'. Dreamin' my dick was out and I was checkin' to see if that infected bump on the head of it had filled with pus again. If it had, I was gonna name it after my ex-wife 'cilla and bust it by jackin' off.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

And why are there political parties that encourage their supporters to carry guns into town-hall meetings and to political events? What message are they making if not the message of intimidation by threat of violence?

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

And why does our president say, "If they bring a knife, we'll bring a gun!"?

What do you want him to say, "If they bring a knife we'll turn the other cheek"?

So I'm glad you agree, Faldur, that the call to violence [is] a major problem and politicians and pundits would do well to retract such language. I don't care who's to blame (though when you start enumerating the infractions one party does seem to stand out). We need responsible debate, carried out in forums where people are not armed, and [we need] stronger gun laws.

Last edited by trish; 01-12-2011 at 02:54 AM. Reason: [Edits in square brackets]
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Both politicians and media pundits -- whether they be on the left or the right -- need to tone down their rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    What do you want him to say, "If they bring a knife we'll turn the other cheek"?

So I'm glad you agree, Faldur, that the call to violence a major problem and politicians and pundits would do well to retract such language. I don't care who's to blame (though when you start enumerating the infractions one party does seem to stand out). We need responsible debate, carried out in forums where people are not armed, and stronger gun laws.
    A civil, cordial and intellectual discourse in American politics seems, well, impossible. Sadly.
    It's based on too much entertainment and not enough intellectual profundity.

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post

(though when you start enumerating the infractions one party does seem to stand out).
    Trish, sorry but I have to disagree with you on that point. How many movies have come out depicting the assassination of sitting Democratic President? How many books have come out titled, "The Assassination of" a sitting Democratic President?

We could go quote for quote here and I am sure we would have enough material for a thousand posts. There is a huge difference between anger and violence. One in my opinion can be healthy, the other for damn good reason is against the law.

Guns? If more people carried guns, when psychopaths draw their weapons their ability to hurt innocent people would be greatly reduced.

Faldur says,
    We could go quote for quote here and I am sure we would have enough material for a thousand posts. There is a huge difference between anger and violence.
    Exactly my point. The temperature of political discourse is not the real concern here. As I said, political debate should be heated and passionate. Rather it is the calls (not movies and fiction but actual calls)to violence by actual politicians who go beyond the limits of political dialog and hint at the deeds they would have others perform.

Guns? If more people carried guns, when psychopaths draw their weapons their ability to hurt innocent people would be greatly reduced.
    You've seen way too many movies Faldur. Can you imagine the chaos that would have ensued if everyone drew semi-automatics capable of firing thirty some odd rounds? This was Tucson Arizona. You can bet your ass there were several dozens of people there with firearms and security (if there was any) was having trouble watching them all. But the shooting still went down. There should be NO firearms allowed at public gatherings other than those carried by security and the secret service.

This event was the predictable result of the call for second amendment solutions, and the near non-existence of meaningful firearm regulation.

Ben says,
    A civil, cordial and intellectual discourse in American politics seems, well, impossible. Sadly.
    It's based on too much entertainment and not enough intellectual profundity.
    I too am pessimistic. America will not be capable of civil discourse until white conservative America wins its country (i.e. the presidency) back. On a more optimistic point, Congress is scared. The new conservative congress wants to spend more money. Money on armed guards and personal security squads. What a laugh. If they're scared enough they can pass some real firearm regulation.

Last edited by trish; 01-12-2011 at 04:31 AM.

5 Star Poster south ov da border's Avatar

Nobody's talking about Judge John Mccarthy Roll from Arizona. Our government is causing the same issues they're supposedly trying to "solve". Gun control will do nothing but make crime worse...

too much french fries, not enough shakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Faldur View Post
    Trish, sorry but I have to disagree with you on that point. How many movies have come out depicting the assassination of sitting Democratic President? How many books have come out titled, "The Assassination of" a sitting Democratic President?

We could go quote for quote here and I am sure we would have enough material for a thousand posts. There is a huge difference between anger and violence. One in my opinion can be healthy, the other for damn good reason is against the law.

And every American male should become like a Sylvester Stallone character -- ha! ha! ha!