Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran Poster

Default Re: Did slave breeding occur in the US?

Did I forget to call the waaaambulance for shit that happened before any of us were born?

"Unless there has been an advancement in technology, sucking a strap-on just isn't the same" -Phobun
    I shit you not! http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=909175&highlight=advancement#post 909175

"I'm from the streets" -hippifried

LOL

You're a faggot! Thanks in advance!- PomonaCA

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by PomonaCA View Post
    Did I forget to call the waaaambulance for shit that happened before any of us were born?
    That is of course a good and a fair point. but why pay homage to the founding fathers and and ignore the other side of the coin?

Exclamation Re: slave were called chattel and breedand not coinsidered a person

http://www.epinions.com/review/Celia...nt_67579842180

IF YOU TAKE AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY

you will find out that

1.)blacks where invisible
    no records kept of family or family tree,family separated.

2.)blacks where nameless with a few exceptions of those who escaped and fought against slavery like FREDERICK DOUGLAS

3.)BLACKS WERE NOT CONSIDERED A PERSON

4.)slave women often father children by slave masters
    and so many african americans are concidered to be MULATTOS
    THEY WERE RAPED AND THE WHITE WIFE WAS POWERLESS ALTHOUGHT THEY HAD ISSUES WITH IT
    YOU CAN NOT RAPE A SLAVE GIRL IF YOU ARE A MASTER.

5.)slaves were considered to be CHATTEL
    like live stock

and so much more disturbing facts

Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post
    The said book and what you quoted is very deep and moving. I thought they had 'black history month' in all schools in the US or is it only certain states? do the schools that feed the ivy league teaches it? So they gloss over what happened and only focus on roots which is pure fiction? what about Native American history, isnt it taught in schools because they went throught genocide and denial of basic human rights

One other question. Isnt there is a popular saying: 'I wont be your whipping boy' or 'i wont be your N word' in other words you treat the blacks like that not us? Ist
    Quote Originally Posted by natina View Post
    slave were called chattel and breed

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chattel

THERE IS A BOOK CALLED

CELIA THE SLAVE

IT DESCRIBES LIFE AS A SLAVE BACK THEN

this is why African history should be included in American history and taught in the schools in the USA

McLaurin tells the story of a slave girl named Celia. We only know her as Celia, she has no other name. Robert Newsom, a plantation owner in Callaway, Missouri, purchased her at age 14. Newsom was recently widowed and it seems he purchased Celia with a sexual motive. As he brought her back to the farm, he raped her. From then on, Newsom "visited" Celia often in a cabin he provided for her which was very close to the main household. Over the years, Celia had two children with Newsom, which he considered "his property".

There were four other slaves on the plantation, but they were all men, so it was hard for Celia to confide in anyone. Soon, however, Celia formed a relationship with the slave George. By this time, the girl is 19 years old and is pregnant again. George is aware of what Newsom is doing and gives Celia an ultimatum - either she tell Newsom to leave her alone, or he would leave her.

When Newsom came to her cabin, Celia told him she wouldn't allow him to come anymore. However, Newsom didn't care since HE was HER master. He proceeded to rape her again. However, Celia hit him over the head with a club with intentions to wound him, but it was a fatal blow instead. Thus, the trial of Celia begins.

The rest of the story is history; wonderful history. The author combines a great story with historical facts. This makes the book very interesting. It's not like you're reading a history book, which is just plain facts. This book makes it fun and easy to learn. The information about the trial is factual, but since McLaurin put it in a story-like form, it is very interesting.

This is a great book to read if you are interested in what it was like to be a slave, or even if you need to do some kind of report. The author touches on so many aspects of a slaves' life. Taking place in the 1850's. McLaurin discusses the Dred Scott Case, tensions between bordering states, and regional/national elections. A huge part of this story focuses on the different laws of the time. For example:

-Is a slave 3/5 of a person?
    -Does a slave have rights?
    -Is a slave considered property?
    -Is a slave considered a man or woman?

Celia is assigned lawyers, since a slave isn't allowed to testify in court - Can you believe the ridiculous laws back then? If a slave can't testify, how is he/she supposed to state his/her side of the story?

I don't want to give away all of the details of the trial, but there is one crucial element that I want to discuss a little bit. The issue is discussed of whether Celia is considered a woman. White women had the right to defend themselves against a man who was forcing himself upon her. Celia is a woman, so this law should apply to her as well. After all, she was only defending herself from this man. This discussion was a huge turning point during the trial. The jury and judge had to decide whether or not Celia had this right. It was such a big issue because it would totally change the law around. If she was a woman, she would have this right and it would make slave women more equal with white women. This would, in turn, take away some of the powers of the slave holder. If she did not have this right, things would remain the same and Celia would be hung.

By the end of the book, after much fighting and debating, Celia is pronounced guilty. The story illustrates just how terrible the life of a slave could be. The author put so much into this piece and made it so thorough that you don't just learn about the history while the trial is going on. Instead, he dedicated a couple of chapters to give you some background on the subject and to show the reader what is influencing the judge and jury's decision. (That is the part of the book that gets a little bit boring, because it really isn't in a story format, but just fact after fact on paper). Also, some parts of the book are a little bit hard to understand, this is not an extremely easy reader.

"Celia, A Slave" is a great historical book that is well written and actually fun to read. I really didn't think I would like the book when I first got it, I was actually a little bit hesitant, but it turned out just fine in the end.

Last edited by natina; 12-24-2010 at 08:19 AM.

Junior Poster

Wasnt there a religious angle used to justify slavery? I heard the first slave ship was called 'The Good Ship Jesus'. The church taught that the black race was condemned to slavery and to be servants, by god, when Noah cursed Ham. Churches actually owned slave plantations, which is one great shame of the church. Now does anyone know if the church actually taught this before the slave trade began? Also when slavery began, or at least for the first century, the slaves were not allowed to practice any religion. The church and slave owners believed they had no souls, in view of the said ham myth. Also they feared the slaves would use the gatherings to plan insurrections. So what made them change their minds?

Junior Poster

Since slaves were considered chattel, or property like cattle, did they have to be treated with minimum agreed living conditions? Or could any slave owner do as he pleased? So there was no licensing or quality control, to see if anyone was fit to own slaves?

Another thing, if a slave was too old or sick to work, was the plantation owner legally required to look after them? That would be a drain on resources. They would not keep old or sick animals alive, they would be put to sleep. Do we know if the same happened with slaves? Were there 'hospitals', 'care homes' for slaves? Could any slave owner be prosecuted for mal treating slaves or working them to death or in unsafe working conditions?

I personally feel that selective breeding in regards to slavery is the reason for the genetics/athletic performance commonly present today.

What race overwhelmingly excels in sports that require size and strength?

Whenever certain people are considered officially subhuman, They have no protection & always end up being victimized. The victimization continues long after the lifting of the official sanction because the mindset still exists.

Change the mindset, & you change the world.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

5 Star Poster

wow saint hippie

live with honour

You bet. Just drop your coins in the donation slot.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Junior Poster

Well wasn't Abraham Lincoln who issued the 'emancipation proclamation', was just as prejudiced against blacks as the slave owners he opposed? He did not see them as equals and told free blacks most whites wont respect their former slaves and it would be best to leave the country