Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Default Re: Whiskey Or Heroin?

Quote Originally Posted by danthepoetman View Post
    LOL! You don't know?
    OK, my good Youngblood: "whisky"! not "whiskey". Whiskey is an alcohol made in a hurry, with any kind of cereal, sometimes even syrupy, heavy, gluey corn. They grind the cereal into flour, and put it with water into a continuous still, which makes a tasteless, headache making alcohol. Only the wood it is put in will give it any character. Sometimes, they even allow other alcohols to get into the mix, in order to confer taste to that stuff... Most "whiskey" you find in liquor stores are usually made of about 15 to 40% of good, well made alcohol. The rest is filled with that junk. For the most part, that's what is called whiskey.
    Now, whisky is something else. And if you're talking about -and I'm tenderly evoking it here- Single Malt Whisky, you are talking about an alcohol made of barley that's been germinated to malt, then amourously bathed with yeast to make it into a bear, then finaly distilled with different types of stills (which gives each some unique characteristics to it), and nicely aged for almost always more than 8 years, and usually at least 10. What you get in the bottle you buy, is that alcohol and that alcohol only. No other alcohol of lesser quality. This process of making it creates an absolutely unique drink. It has regional characteristics and differences of tastes and perfumes, just exactly like wines in France or Italy, it is every bit as complex and delicate in flavours. This is why some of the whisky loving people tend to cringe, when they hear or read the word "whiskey"...
    Fancy putting together an anthology on good writing about malt scotch, Dan? There must be a big market for it out there. Joint project?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

LOVER OF BIG ASS Platinum Poster youngblood61's Avatar

My apologies, I'll will remember next time.

LOVER OF BIG ASS Platinum Poster youngblood61's Avatar

I'll take Whisky over H. Gotcha! You learn something new everyday here at HA!

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I'd love that! Here in Quebec, there is practically nothing on the subject. I've had this in mind for a while, now, RObert Louis. ANd of course, the help and advices of someone like you, your participation, would be invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by youngblood61 View Post
    My apologies, I'll will remember next time.
    No sweat, my friend. What I said is true, but I was of course only teasing you. I'm sure you know that...

Quote Originally Posted by danthepoetman View Post
    LOL! You don't know?
    OK, my good Youngblood: "whisky"! not "whiskey". Whiskey is an alcohol made in a hurry, with any kind of cereal, sometimes even syrupy, heavy, gluey corn. They grind the cereal into flour, and put it with water into a continuous still, which makes a tasteless, headache making alcohol. Only the wood it is put in will give it any character. Sometimes, they even allow other alcohols to get into the mix, in order to confer taste to that stuff... Most "whiskey" you find in liquor stores are usually made of about 15 to 40% of good, well made alcohol. The rest is filled with that junk. For the most part, that's what is called whiskey.
    Now, whisky is something else. And if you're talking about -and I'm tenderly evoking it here- Single Malt Whisky, you are talking about an alcohol made of barley that's been germinated to malt, then amourously bathed with yeast to make it into a bear, then finaly distilled with different types of stills (which gives each some unique characteristics to it), and nicely aged for almost always more than 8 years, and usually at least 10. What you get in the bottle you buy, is that alcohol and that alcohol only. No other alcohol of lesser quality. This process of making it creates an absolutely unique drink. It has regional characteristics and differences of tastes and perfumes, just exactly like wines in France or Italy, it is every bit as complex and delicate in flavours. This is why some of the whisky loving people tend to cringe, when they hear or read the word "whiskey"...

I don't know, Dan. Both spellings of the word mean more or less the same thing - alcohol distilled from a grain mash and aged in wooden barrels. I think the spelling has more to do with the country of origin or just how the maker chooses to spell it, rather than it being an absolute indicator of quality, purity, or the type of grain used. The U.S. and Ireland tend to use "whiskey" and the U.K., Canada, and other places use "whisky." There are some fantastic, top-notch American bourbons out there, like Bulleit, that are spelled with an "e," but also, there are others like Maker's Mark that spell it without. Yes, they're made from a corn mash, but that's what bourbon is, and a good bourbon can have complex flavors and good finishes just like you say a good scotch does. I don't drink much scotch, but I had some 12 year Lagavulin a few weeks ago, and I liked it very much. Then there are things like Crown Royal - the Canadian "whisky" which is a blend of alcohols, not a single alcohol, despite being spelled the supposedly superior way. Whiskey doesn't guarantee a headache. I've never had one from drinking Bulleit or Maker's Mark. I just think maybe you're being a bit narrow-minded. And besides...this guy says scotch is on the way out!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ch-out-americ/

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    I don't know, Dan. Both spellings of the word mean more or less the same thing - alcohol distilled from a grain mash and aged in wooden barrels. I think the spelling has more to do with the country of origin or just how the maker chooses to spell it, rather than it being an absolute indicator of quality, purity, or the type of grain used. The U.S. and Ireland tend to use "whiskey" and the U.K., Canada, and other places use "whisky." There are some fantastic, top-notch American bourbons out there, like Bulleit, that are spelled with an "e," but also, there are others like Maker's Mark that spell it without. Yes, they're made from a corn mash, but that's what bourbon is, and a good bourbon can have complex flavors and good finishes just like you say a good scotch does. I don't drink much scotch, but I had some 12 year Lagavulin a few weeks ago, and I liked it very much. Then there are things like Crown Royal - the Canadian "whisky" which is a blend of alcohols, not a single alcohol, despite being spelled the supposedly superior way. Whiskey doesn't guarantee a headache. I've never had one from drinking Bulleit or Maker's Mark. I just think maybe you're being a bit narrow-minded. And besides...this guy says scotch is on the way out!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ch-out-americ/
    LOL! Don't count on it! It's only starting. There are more and more distilleries in Scotland and they're diversifying their products.
    You're right, I was cutting corners a little. What I was saying applies more to the designation "Blended" and "Single". Yet, the fact is, and remain, Max, that most of the stuff sold under the title whiskey are blends. In fact, for many of these "whiskey", there's nothing else, there are no singles, and they are mostly done from what we call a continuous still, as I was describing. It's simple flour made from grain to which water is added and put in this "distillation machine". The big, big difference is that singles are made with real malted barley turned into beers, then distilled with what is called a pot still. It's very different, Max. Very. The pot still can only make a relatively small amount of very typified alcohol at a time, contrary to the continuous still, which makes continuous pretty tastelss alcohol. Some American process involved for instance letting the alcohol go through charcoal wood, which gives a lot of taste to it, but to my knowledge, no where is the whisky made with so much care and true artisanship as in Scotland (except in Japan, which immitates the process to perfection). It really is a century old art that was kept from father to sons. These guys are often making alcohol for their sons, for the next generation, like the previous one had done for them. It's really remarquable. Moreover, whiskey is generally much younger alcohol than single malt scotch whisky. The main reason for that is once again the tastelessness of the grain alcohol. Grain alcohol, to get to have a taste, has to be put in a wood that produces a lot of essences. So in America, new wood is being used to make cask. In Scotland, when they talk about "new wood", they're talking about casks that were filled only once. The alcohol is so delicate, and has already so much character, that real new wood would kill it. Generally, second or third refill bourbon casks are used in Scotland, or former sherry casks, filled several times -because of the process of making sherry, which is very particular (solera). But you see, the essence of wood, vaniline, is very strong; and that, my friend, can cause terrible headaches, believe me.
    So an old bourbon will be 8 or 9 years of age. For a Scotch, 12 years is young. A good single malt matures at around 16 to 18, depending of the whisky, reaches absolute full body at 20, 25, and start getting woody sometime after.
    You're right in saying that the designation is more a national difference in word than an official difference in nature. But the fact is, most of what is indeed called whiskey is grain alcohol to which taste is added by different means. Most of the scotch whisky sold in the world is a blend of grain and malt alcohol, like the Johnny Walker, the Chivas Regal, the J&B, the Cutty Sark, the Balantine, the Famous Grouse, etc. You have to get into bottles specifically marked "Single Malt" rather than "Blended" to find the real stuff of higher quality.
    And believe me, Max, it's not to put anyone down in any way (as you know I myself am Canadian), but the authentic single malt whisky is one thing the Scots can be trutfullly proud of. It's an artisanship they have taken to the greatest heights.

Last edited by danthepoetman; 12-12-2013 at 12:07 PM.

In recent years, it seems American whiskey makers have been ageing some of their product longer (perhaps taking a cue from the Scots). There are a lot of 10, 12, 15, 18, 20+ year bourbons coming onto the market these days with very high ratings.

In recent years, it seems American whiskey makers have been ageing some of their product longer (perhaps taking a cue from the Scots). There are a lot of 10, 12, 15, 18, 20+ year bourbons coming onto the market these days with very high ratings.
    Yes, but the problem is how woody will they be? It's all kept in new wood casks. The level of vaniline in it will be totally overbearing. Unless they've started to indeed use second fillings for the stuff they want to seel at older ages...
    But still, it will always be alcohol made in continuous stills. It's not that it's not good. But it's not quite the same...

I don't know, Dan. Both spellings of the word mean more or less the same thing - alcohol distilled from a grain mash and aged in wooden barrels. I think the spelling has more to do with the country of origin or just how the maker chooses to spell it, rather than it being an absolute indicator of quality, purity, or the type of grain used. The U.S. and Ireland tend to use "whiskey" and the U.K., Canada, and other places use "whisky."
    Max the spelling is legally protected and the Scotch Whisky can and does prosecute anyone selling a drink called 'Whisky' if it is not made in Scotland -just as it is illegal to produce and sell 'Parma Ham' if it is not from Parma, in Italy. In fact a useful means of protecting the authenticity of the product.