Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Default Re: Whiskey Or Heroin?

I've been enjoying a bit of this lately...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bulleit-bourbon.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	656487  

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

I guess for my palate heroin would be preferable to most whiskEy which I find toothachingly sweet and mostly astringent with no real finish.

But if you're talking "whisky", without the "e", it's no contest.

Do you agree Dan? Slainthe!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArdbegUigeadail1.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	656491  

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    I guess for my palate heroin would be preferable to most whiskEy which I find toothachingly sweet and mostly astringent with no real finish.

But if you're talking "whisky", without the "e", it's no contest.

Do you agree Dan? Slainthe!
    Absolutely. The Ugedail is amazing. It is so well aged that you don't even sense the high alcool level. It's strange, don't you think, Robert Louis, that this Ardbeg resemble so much the 16 yr old Lagavulin? And conversely, the cask strengt 12 years Lagavulin reminds of the 10 yr Ardbeg!
    From the first time I had a Ardbeg, I felt it was the most amazing drink I had ever had. It was a 10 yr, but the color, white wine or vino verde, the fact that a drop of water leaves a long, dancing worm of fog in it, and the huge punch of peat all made for a fabulous experience. Now the Ugedail is something else. Already, the difference between the 10 yr and other whiskies, because it is not chill filtered, is very palpable; but with the Ugedail, you have the feeling you have everything the aging whisky has to offer, every natural oil, every little perfume, every one of the windy Islay day's salt and sea perfume... I loved it.

Last edited by danthepoetman; 12-12-2013 at 09:10 AM.

LOVER OF BIG ASS Platinum Poster youngblood61's Avatar

Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by youngblood61 View Post
    Whiskey
    Youngblood, you're starting something, here...

LOVER OF BIG ASS Platinum Poster youngblood61's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danthepoetman View Post
    Youngblood, you're starting something, here...
    Starting what Dan?

Absolutely. The Ugedail is amazing. It is so well aged that you don't even sense the high alcool level. It's strange, don't you think, Robert Louis, that this Ardbeg resemble so much the 16 yr old Lagavulin? And conversely, the cask strengt 12 years Lagavulin reminds of the 10 yr Ardbeg!
    From the first time I had a Ardbeg, I felt it was the most amazing drink I had ever had. It was a 10 yr, but the color, white wine or vino verde, the fact that a drop of water leaves a long, dancing worm of fog in it, and the huge punch of peat all made for a fabulous experience. Now the Ugedail is something else. Already, the difference between the 10 yr and other whiskies, because it is not chill filtered, is very palpable; but with the Ugedail, you have the feeling you have everything the aging whisky has to offer, every natural oil, every little perfume, every one of the windy Islay day's salt and sea perfume... I loved it.
    Absolutely nothing to add to that masterful summary, Dan.

The Ugedail is quite simply the very apogee of the distiller's art. It's perfect.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Silver Poster

Strange to dig up that old thread, Bluesoul. I guess you really are blue tonight.
    thanks danny dan. i says no to the white lady, because she never helped me!

Last edited by bluesoul; 12-12-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by youngblood61 View Post
    Starting what Dan?
    LOL! You don't know?
    OK, my good Youngblood: "whisky"! not "whiskey". Whiskey is an alcohol made in a hurry, with any kind of cereal, sometimes even syrupy, heavy, gluey corn. They grind the cereal into flour, and put it with water into a continuous still, which makes a tasteless, headache making alcohol. Only the wood it is put in will give it any character. Sometimes, they even allow other alcohols to get into the mix, in order to confer taste to that stuff... Most "whiskey" you find in liquor stores are usually made of about 15 to 40% of good, well made alcohol. The rest is filled with that junk. For the most part, that's what is called whiskey.
    Now, whisky is something else. And if you're talking about -and I'm tenderly evoking it here- Single Malt Whisky, you are talking about an alcohol made of barley that's been germinated to malt, then amourously bathed with yeast to make it into a bear, then finaly distilled with different types of stills (which gives each some unique characteristics to it), and nicely aged for almost always more than 8 years, and usually at least 10. What you get in the bottle you buy, is that alcohol and that alcohol only. No other alcohol of lesser quality. This process of making it creates an absolutely unique drink. It has regional characteristics and differences of tastes and perfumes, just exactly like wines in France or Italy, it is every bit as complex and delicate in flavours. This is why some of the whisky loving people tend to cringe, when they hear or read the word "whiskey"...

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    thanks danny dan. i says no to the white lady, because she never helped me!

It will take a huge lever to get this guy off city hall...