View Poll Results: Is Wal-Mart good for America?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 30.43%
  • No

32 69.57%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai
    I'd like to see the numbers on fulltime jobs provided to US citizens (including full health care, pensions and benifits) in relation to the amount of money they make. Almost all their manufacturing is done outside the US for cheap, which isn't necessarily their fault but they compound the fact by offering goods cheaper and cheaper to outprice local competition and Mom and Pop type stores which provide more income and jobs in a neighbourhood.

There simply is no need for many of these goods to be so cheap. A television is a luxury that most can afford but upgrading to the newest high-def, flat screen blah blah or having to have a TV in every bedroom, kitchen and bathroom is something people see as needing - when they don't.

American has a culture of expectation, based on the American Dream - the white picket fence, the kitchen with the mod-cons and the 2.5 children (yeh midgets!) but these things should come through hardwork and saving. However, people now see these things as their "right" to have regardless of whether they work hard (or at all). Walmart capitalises on that need - or greed.
    Now, I'd be the first to argue as an individual, the ends justify the means and like to get my stuff for as cheap as possible, so I can see why people are so enamoured with Walmart but what happens when the money in the US dries out (obviously not America going broke but the American people). You shop at Walmart to buy stuff made abroad for the cheapest possible price - this puts local/US manufacturers out of business and local stores meaning less jobs in the area, less jobs means less income, you go back to Walmart but you're money doesn't seem to go as far as it used to. Meanwhile, other countries doing the manufacturing are getting richer, their workers want more money and better living, and Walmart looks to the next country who will work cheaper...

I'd have to say this isn't all Walmart's fault - when health insurance is so crazy high and the benefits above are punitive it's no wonder companies are looking abroad, look at the car manufacturers going to Canada to save on not paying health insurance. So where does that leave America? With a bigger than ever gap between the richer...who's economy improves and the poor who will also want more.
    seanchai

Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Realgirls4me

Yourdaddy: Are you that stupid, or do you just play that up here for our entertainment ? What a blind ingrate. Here’s some of the things the labor movement not only did for you, but also for the country’s citizens who were never members of a union. Many people sacrificed a great deal (their lives) in the labor movement’s nascent years so clowns like you would be treated with dignity and thus lead a better life.

The 40 hour work week
    The concept of retirement/pensions
    Healthcare
    Overtime pay
    A Safe Work place
    Better wages than non-union shops
    Sick leave
    Training of its employees
    Premium pay
    Supported Civil Rights legislation
    Supported the idea of Social Security
    Paid Vacations
    The concept of – Ta-da! – the weekend.

Now tell us which of the listed you would gladly relinquish ? GM’s problems stem from a myriad of problems from numerous sources and factors (global economy, downsizing, producing cars people don’t want, etc) which go far beyond their pension, worker-to-retiree issues. You can opt out on where your dues go as far as political contributions go, can’t you ? I would think you could in a right-to-work state. I love how guys like you are so quick to color union leaders in bed with crime bosses, but go out of your way to ignore the Ken Lays of the corporate world. Unions would never get a chance to flourish if companies would treat their workers with dignity, respect, and an honest day’s pay for an honest day’s work.

I would never shop at a Wal-Mart. Never.
    LOL, no doubt about it, yourdaddy really is that stupid.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Veteran Poster

chefmike, you are really such a negative, naive, elitist. You believe that only people of your ilk are smart enough to know what is best for the masses. Individual creativity and thought, would be stifled by your outdated concepts, and are the things that have brought most of the positive changes in the world. No, I can't opt out of my dues contributions, without losing my voting rights. Prop. 75 in California is trying to accomplish this.

Veteran Poster

chef, while walking my dogs, I had a truly creative idea. Since your avatar proclaims you as the"Certified Tranny Expert", and since you know everything about unions.......Organize the girls. You can give them a safe work place, overtime pay, healthcare, sick leave, premium pay, PAID VACATIONS, and best of all, "Ta-Da".....weekends off. Of course, they can get kicked out of your union if they take a "job" on the weekends with a non-union client. By the way, I said "unions are crooked". You said they were in bed with "crime bosses". There you go again....1930's-speak.

Platinum Poster

No, dumbass, realgirls4me said that you reactionaries are eager to PORTRAY unions as such. Read the quote slower, even if you have to move your lips while doing so. FYI, I live in a red state, not that it matters. I have lived in both red and blue states, and bushisyourdaddy, judging by the chimps approval ratings (and the recent elections), America is turning blue. And I love it how you reactionaries portray anyone who doesn't tow the right-wing bible-bangin party line as "someone who is against all things American". From rush(the junkie's) lips to your ears, eh.

And since you reality-challenged right-wingers are so fond of my visual aids, here's a few more, pilgram...

America is turning blue...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clinton-back_422.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	34626   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rush_limbaugh_card_130.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	34627   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue-america-map_155.jpg 
Views:	571 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	34628  

Rookie Poster

Wallmart is definately bad. It is for people with no money, and no hope of ever having any substantial amount of money. The products are cheap, and not built to last. Anything you 'save money' on at wallmart will fall apart quickly and end up needing to be replaced, where if you had bought a quality item for more money, it should last. Wallmart perpetuates poverty. Sure they provide jobs, but its jobs to people who cant get a better/real job. They are not actually seeking skilled employees, just ones who will show up for minimum wage or close to it.

That being said, I'd probly rather work at wallmart than a gas station, and I have friends who dont agree with anything I just said, and buy everything at wallmart. Of course their excuse is that they cant afford to shop anywhere else.

Personally, money is not an issue for me, and I dont think i'll spend 1 more penny at wallmart for the rest of my life. (when i was 20 and broke, i did used to appreciate wallmart tho)

Junior Poster

The products are cheap, and not built to last.
    Panasonic, GE, Black And Decker and Samsung are all the same no matter where you buy them.
    Retail Companies in general have horrible wages and benefits. Wal Mart
    is just a huge corporate bulldozer that runs over peoples rights and laws, offers crummy benefits and wages and if they want to plant themselves in your city they will.
    If you are an average consumer who can save $30 on a TV or a Computer
    chances are you will.
    Understand something: They are the largest employer in America and that gives them tremendous clout in buying, real estate and politics.
    Personally I think they-and the other big box stores-suck. But, they aren't going anywhere.

The Only Men That Play With TGirls Are Real Men

Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by yourdaddy
    chefmike, you are really such a negative, naive, elitist. You believe that only people of your ilk are smart enough to know what is best for the masses. Individual creativity and thought, would be stifled by your outdated concepts, and are the things that have brought most of the positive changes in the world.
    Aww, shucks... you flatter me bushisyourdaddy...here's some individual creativity and thought, regarding your outdated concepts, and your idea of positive changes...

whose your daddy?-------->
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	democratideas_342.jpg 
Views:	534 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	34640   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mudslinging_895.gif 
Views:	536 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	34641  

Quote Originally Posted by Shalaya
    Why we gotta talk about walmart?Can we talk about which brazilian tranny has the biggest dick.
    Then you need to start a Which Brazilian Tranny Has The Biggest Dick thread, darlin'.

Right now we're talkin' about the big dicks at Wally-Mart. Pay attention.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

an unmarried Wal-Mart employee earning between $7.50 and $8.50 an hour for a “full-time” 34-hour workweek and choosing the least expensive coverage available might have to spend $6,396.50—some 45 percent of his or her annual wages—on health care. The plan also carries a $350-per-family-member annual deductible before coverage can begin.

Wal-Mart makes new hourly workers wait six months to sign up for its benefits plan and doesn't cover retirees at all." It won't pay for flu shots, child vaccinations, or contraception, which many other firms cover. By keeping deductibles high, Wal-Mart manages to spend 30 percent less per employee on health care than its competitors

Wal-Mart’s full-time pay rate is about 37 percent lower than the national average wage of $15.35 for production and non-supervisory workers. As a result of Wal-Mart’s low wages, many employees of the world’s largest company must rely on government healthcare, food, housing and other aid

46 percent of the children of Wal-Mart's 1.33 million United States employees are uninsured or on Medicaid

The average Wal-Mart costs taxpayers an estimated $108,000 a year for its workers’ children who are enrolled in state children’s health insurance programs. As of Jan. 31, 2004, Wal-Mart has 1,478 Wal-Mart stores and 1,471 Supercenters.

Over the past 20 years, taxpayers have contributed at least $1 billion in subsidies to Wal-Mart stores and distribution centers, as well as to developers of shopping centers anchored by Wal-Mart stores

WalMart's Net income in 2004 $10.27 billion With $256 billion in sales, Wal-Mart again heads up Fortune Magazine's list of the 500 largest U.S. companies

Wal-Mart CEO Lee Scott raked in almost $23 million in total 871 times as high as its average worker's salary

Of course Walmart is bad for America. If it were a good corporate citizen and a true capitalist, it would pay a living wage and basic benefits, not suck at the government tit so much, and would still be hugely profitable.

FK