Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Default 9 Meals Away From Anarchy

Unless I'm short of bog roll, I try to avoid the Daily Mail whenever possible, but, found this interesting.

The scenario goes like this. Imagine a sudden shutdown of oil supplies; a sudden collapse in the petrol that streams steadily through the pumps and so into the engines of the lorries which deliver our food around the country, stocking up the supermarket shelves as soon as any item runs out.

If the trucks stopped moving, we'd start to worry and we'd head out to the shops, cking up our larders. By the end of Day One, if there was still no petrol, the shelves would be looking pretty thin. Imagine, then, Day Two: your fourth, fifth and sixth meal. We'd be in a panic. Day three: still no petrol.

What then? With hunger pangs kicking in, and no notion of how long it might take for the supermarkets to restock, how long before those who hadn't stocked up began stealing from their neighbours? Or looting what they could get their hands on?
    There might be 11 million gardeners in Britain, but your delicious summer peas won't go far when your kids are hungry and the baked beans have run out.

It was Lord Cameron's estimation that it would take just nine meals - three full days without food on supermarket shelves - before law and order started to break down, and British streets descended into chaos.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1024833/Nine-meals-anarchy--Britain-facing-real-food-crisis.html

So, if they turned the water off and there was no food in the shops, how long could you last with what you have stocked up in your larder?

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

5 Star Poster south ov da border's Avatar

as it stands where I live now, not long. Up to me I'd stock the 3rd bedroom to the tee...

too much french fries, not enough shakes...

Bella Doll Platinum Poster BellaBellucci's Avatar

The Lord will save us! Praise the Lord!

~BB~

You'll find me making a break for the hills with as much food and ammo as I can carry! And if the Messiah steps on my hill im putting 7.62 into his narrow ass!

Professional Poster

This was more or less the argument my dad made in support of the Gulf War. You can make a similar argument about fiat currency or a bunch of other stuff.

Veteran Poster

Went longer then that after hurricane Andrew around here without any breakdown of civil order near two months. I don't know how it is over there on the other side of the pond, but over here you get lead poisoning if you start helping yourself to anyone's stash.

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Unless I'm short of bog roll, I try to avoid the Daily Mail whenever possible, but, found this interesting.

So, if they turned the water off and there was no food in the shops, how long could you last with what you have stocked up in your larder?

5 Star Poster

I haev 30 days of food on hand and the means to protect it

If you want to read a really good book similar to this situation, check out One Second After by William R. Forstchen.

"If you don't know, I'm not gonna tell ya" - DSII & DK

Well,...since you've already prepared me for cannibalism...I'm ready.