Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Transgender Woman Sues L.P.G.A.

Transgender Woman Sues L.P.G.A.

Transgender Woman Sues L.P.G.A. Over Policy
    By KATIE THOMAS
    Published: October 12, 2010

A transgender woman filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday against the L.P.G.A., arguing that its requirement that competitors be “female at birth” violates California civil rights law.

Lana Lawless, a 57-year-old retired police officer who had gender-reassignment surgery in 2005, made her name as an athlete in 2008 after winning the women’s world championship in long-drive golf with a 254-yard drive into a headwind. But this year, Lawless was ruled ineligible in the same championship because Long Drivers of America, which oversees the competition, changed its rules to match the policy of the L.P.G.A. Lawless wrote a letter in May asking for permission to apply for L.P.G.A. qualifying tournaments and was told by a tour lawyer that she would be turned down.

“It’s an issue of access and opportunity,” Lawless said in a telephone interview Tuesday. “I’ve been shut out because of prejudice.”

She is also suing Long Drivers of America, two of its corporate sponsors — Dick’s Sporting Goods and Re/Max — and CVS, the sponsor of the L.P.G.A. Challenge, which begins Thursday in Danville, Calif.

A lawyer for Long Drivers of America and a spokesman for the L.P.G.A. declined to comment on the 13-page lawsuit because they said they had not yet seen it. The lawsuit, filed in United States District Court in San Francisco by her lawyer, Christopher B. Dolan, seeks an unspecified amount in damages and a permanent injunction preventing the tour from holding tournaments or qualifying events in California as long as it continues to exclude transgender people.

Lawless is not the first professional female golfer to be transgender. Mianne Bagger, a Danish athlete, competed in the Women’s Australian Open in 2004 and has since toured professionally in Europe and Australia.

The L.P.G.A.’s policy has remained the same even as several sports bodies have changed their rules to accommodate people who are transgender. In 2004, the International Olympic Committee began allowing transgender people to compete if they have undergone reassignment surgery and at least two years of postoperative hormone-replacement therapy. Several other sports organizations then passed their own policies permitting transgender people to compete, including the United States Golf Association, the Ladies Golf Union in Britain and the Ladies European Golf Tour.

“I think the L.P.G.A. is really out of step with other professional sports organizations of its size, and it’s a wake-up call to other entities that we’re not going to tolerate discrimination based on gender identity,” said Kristina Wertz, the legal director of the Transgender Law Center in San Francisco. She said California was one of 13 states, and the District of Columbia, that had laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of gender identity.

Lawless said she had no competitive edge over other female golfers. The reassignment surgery removed her testes, and her hormones and muscle strength are in line with someone who was genetically female, she said. According to her birth certificate, she is a woman. “It doesn’t say ‘female-ish,’ ” Lawless said. “There is no such thing as born female. Either you’re female, or you’re not.”

Her view was challenged by an unlikely source: Renee Richards, the transgender tennis player who won the right to play in women’s events in the 1970s. In a telephone interview, Richards — who wearily noted she had spent more than 25 years fielding calls from reporters seeking comment on such cases — said she thought physically strong transgender women could have an advantage. Speaking of the Olympic committee, Richards said, “they’re going to get in trouble someday because somebody’s going to come along who’s strong in sprints or weight throwing or whatever and streak the field.”

However, Richards said that in individual cases, allowing a transgender athlete to play could be appropriate. Richards noted that she was 40 when she filed her suit, and said Lawless, at 57, probably fell into the same category.

“Maybe it’s O.K.,” she said. “Let her play and be done with the whole big argument about it. She’s not going to be on the tour.”

Although Lawless said she had played golf all her life — as an amateur, she played with a 1 handicap — she became interested in competing professionally after watching the women’s long-drive championship on ESPN in 2006. She placed third in 2007 and won the title in 2008. Sponsorships followed, including one with Bang Golf, which sells golf drivers. She said she lost the sponsorship after she was ruled ineligible to compete in the 2010 championship.

“It was devastating to me,” Lawless said of the rule change. “How can they say that rule was not changed specifically directed at me if you have a rule that allows me to play and you come back and you change it?”

Because Lawless has received prize money and sponsorship payments for playing golf, she said she was considered a professional and could not compete in amateur tournaments unless she applied to the U.S.G.A. for reinstatement, something she is not willing to do.

Because the U.S.G.A. allows transgender people to compete, Lawless could play in the United States Women’s Open. But without entry into the L.P.G.A., she said she has just one chance to qualify, by playing in a local tournament.

“All the girls from the L.P.G.A. that are in the top percentile, they get to go straight to the U.S. Open. I have one day,” she said. “Tiger Woods doesn’t play his best golf every day.”

"Do you remember V. P. Dick Cheney "
    'YES, I DO. I use to call him 'TAINT'.
    "Taint? Why did you call him that?"
    'Because in every picture he was between Bush and Colin'

So I'll play the devil's advocate here. Why are sports competitions segregated along gender lines? That's right, males are on average stronger than females. The strongest and fastest men are stronger and faster than the strongest and fastest women.

So if gender segregation in sports is fair, then why would it be fair for MtF transgenders to compete as women?

Default Transsexual Sues The LPGA in order to play

This is one of those subjects that I am somewhat ambivalent about. I think transsexuals should have the rights afforded to every biological woman but when it comes to athletics...transsexual may have an unfair advantage.

Well now, this is awkward. The LPGA may find itself in the same position tennis did in 1977, when Renee Richards won a court order that allowed the transsexual to play in the women's bracket at the U.S. Open.
    Lana Lawless -- a 57-year-old retired cop who had gender-reassignment surgery in 2005 -- has sued the LPGA over a rule that says all competitors must be female at birth.
    Lawless, according to the New York Times, won the 2008 women's world championship in long-drive golf, but was ruled ineligible this year because Long Drivers of America adopted the LPGA rule. Lawless also applied to play in LPGA qualifying tourneys, but was told she'd be rejected.
    "I've been shut out because of prejudice," Lawless told the Times.
    Long Drivers of America and the LPGA declined comment. The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District court in San Francisco.
    Richards' trip to the U.S. Open didn't last long. She lost her first-round match to Virginia Wade in straight sets, the same way she had been defeated there in 1960, when she competed as Richard H. Raskind.

Source

Last edited by www.tglovers.com; 10-13-2010 at 08:13 PM.
    Come check me out on my free social network at www.tglovers.com

its weird ...most of the mens sports sanctions dont include gender but all of the womens one do...i used to be big into amateur bowling and pretty much any women can obtain a card to participate in their events...in fact women can bowl in any of the mens pba events required that they qualify for the events...

Junior Poster

I dont think she should be aloud. It's a matter of biology, the reason there are men and women divisions is because men are stronger and faster then women. Not being sexist it's true.

Copied from here, as this seems to be the thread that is getting discussion:

So I'll play the devil's advocate here. Why are sports competitions segregated along gender lines? That's right, males are on average stronger than females. The strongest and fastest men are stronger and faster than the strongest and fastest women.

So if gender segregation in sports is fair, then why would it be fair for MtF transgenders to compete as women?

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dgs925 View Post

Cake...Eat it...Init!

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Most female professional golfers look either butch or like they could be trans anyway.

Very few Korean girls are 6'1".

Quote Originally Posted by dgs925 View Post

It wouldn't be fair to anyone who's intellectually honest. All trannies were once men and are gonna have more physical capabilities than most GGs.

...stir it up and pass it around.

When MTF transsexuals take esterogen and other female hormones and testosterone blockers, we lose about 50-75% of muscle mass or so, bringing them in line GG women pretty much..