Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Everyone, upon leaving this life, will know the answer to the question is there a God.
    Nonsense. First, the claim presumes that "knowers" persist beyond death. If there's no life after death, there's no knowing after death. Second, the claim presumes that once you pass through the door of death (and survive as an entity who can know things) the question of God's existence will suddenly become trivial and obvious. Why should that be? It could be the case that the gods are as elusive on the other side of the door as they are on this side.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by PomonaCA View Post
    There have been better arguments against the existence of God and religions still continue to grow. It seems the only ones worshiping your so-called 'knowledge' are the profiteers at your local colleges.
    I don't think I could come up with a better illustration of prideful ignorance than this sneering derision of knowledge.

There is no evidence to support the assertion that religious observance continues to grow, at least on a global scale. In the U.S., however, there is clear evidence that religious observance is declining (PDF):

http://b27.cc.trincoll.edu/weblogs/A...eport_2008.pdf

Rookie Poster

God done gave us e-lectriciteh, and he also done gave us them innernets. He done gave you that there .pdf too. You don't needs no knowledge. Just get on the faith wagon and God gonna give you a whole lotta good shit.

You can git a hole lot more good shit if'n I prays fer ya.
    Just 3 easy payments of only $19.95 gits ya a week of daily prayers from me & all of my adherent. PM your credit card no.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    What if we do? That would neither [be] evidence for nor against the superstitions of religion. Though it would give us someone else to fear and to hate; that's always a plus for religious fervor.

This just illustrate[s] how much science you know__none. It is already the case that science cannot prove there are gods, nor can it disprove there are gods. So far, the hypothesis that there are gods has not shown itself to be useful in any field of science or technology. But one can always hope, right simplicio, I mean PomonaCA? The assumptions of science are only ever provisional. Science doesn't seek to establish proofs in the sense that mathematics does. Ultimately it is observational evidence that provides support for or against the hypothesis of science.

Again, no it doesn't and never will. Though it's very doubtful that the assumption, "There's a God" will ever prove useful in establishing the cladistic and genetic relationships between the flora and fauna of the living and fossil worlds.

That all you got?

No. Professors don't worship knowledge. They spend their days criticizing each others claims to knowledge. The "profiteers" are the people whose lives have been saved by or bettered by the researches of academic bio-physicists, academic medical researchers and epidemiologists. The profiteers are you who are now enjoying the benefits of quantum field theory as it applies to the engineering of ever tinier computer chips. The profiteers are you who have thrown away your road atlases and navigate by GPS (a device that depends on the General Theory of Relativity for its proper functioning), or who text your friends umpteen times a day, or you who waste your days in front of video games, or you who fly to visit distant friends and family. The profiteers include those of you who simply enjoy peering into the night sky at a universe that's 13.7 billion years old and attempt to relate to the myriad of galaxies whose light has journeyed for eons to reach our eyes at just the moment we look up.

The best argument against the gods is that they're useless. God theory has just never produced any testable consequences which have withstood the scrutiny of observation.
    Actually what I said is that the profiteers are your local colleges worship "so called knowledge", which they do. But maybe a better way to say it is to say that the profiteers at your local colleges worship 'so called intelligence'. Questioning information is not intelligence nor is it knowledge. Nor is the fruit of questioning information. Human intelligence is incapable of 'knowing' anything. What your best intelligence 'knows' today will not be what it 'knows tomorrow'.

"Unless there has been an advancement in technology, sucking a strap-on just isn't the same" -Phobun
    I shit you not! http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=909175&highlight=advancement#post 909175

"I'm from the streets" -hippifried

LOL

You're a faggot! Thanks in advance!- PomonaCA

Questioning information is not intelligence nor is it knowledge.
    Nor is it worship.

What your best intelligence 'knows' today will not be what it 'knows tomorrow'.
    So what didn't you understand in my use of the word "provisional"?

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Nor is it worship.

So what didn't you understand in my use of the word "provisional"?

The knowledge you worship is 'provisional'? Ok, good luck planning a life like that.

"Unless there has been an advancement in technology, sucking a strap-on just isn't the same" -Phobun
    I shit you not! http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=909175&highlight=advancement#post 909175

"I'm from the streets" -hippifried

LOL

You're a faggot! Thanks in advance!- PomonaCA

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by PomonaCA View Post
    The knowledge you worship is 'provisional'? Ok, good luck planning a life like that.
    1) is it really so hard for you to get into your thick skull that people dont worship knowledge (whats that even supposed to mean?)
    2) welcome to the scientific method that served us well for the last 350+ years and helped us get out of the dark ages

Elvis: I was dreamin'. Dreamin' my dick was out and I was checkin' to see if that infected bump on the head of it had filled with pus again. If it had, I was gonna name it after my ex-wife 'cilla and bust it by jackin' off.

No asshole. Try reading for comprehension. You're the only one claiming to be a worshiper.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesHunt View Post
    If we find evidence of life on other planets?

Will they just bend and twist the words, and generally bullshit as they usually do, or will they eventually give in to the truth?
    Seems pretty simple to me. God is defined as creating the universe. So everything that is created or discovered in the future comes from God.