Rookie Poster

Default Democracy test? Fail! Fail! Fail!

From BBC site:

Anti-gay protesters have fought running battles with police in an effort to disrupt a Gay Pride march in Belgrade - the first in the city since 2001.

The office of the ruling Democratic Party was briefly set on fire, and at least one shot was fired.

Calm was eventually restored but more than 100 people, mostly police, were injured, with another 100 arrested.

Sunday's march was the first Gay Pride parade in Serbia since a 2001 event was broken up in violent clashes provoked by far-right extremists.

'Hooligan gangs'
    Before the march, the head of the EU mission in Serbia, Vincent Degert, addressed around 1,000 gay activists and their supporters who gathered at a park in downtown Belgrade surrounded by riot police and armoured vehicles.

"We are here to celebrate the values of tolerance, freedom of expression and assembly," Mr Degert told the crowd.

While the Gay Pride parade was moving though the city, several hundred protesters began chanting at those taking part as they tried to get close to the march.

"The hunt has begun," the AFP news agency reported them as saying. "Death to homosexuals.":

Reports told of gangs of skinheads roaming the streets, throwing petrol bombs and setting off firecrackers as police battled to hold them back.

Thousands of police had sealed off central Belgrade to protect the event.

While the march took place in a heavily-protected area in and around Manjez park, violence flared at several points further afield in central Belgrade.
    The Terazije boulevard was littered with rocks and debris by the time the rioting was quelled. Several cars were overturned and had been set on fire.

Democratic Party spokesperson Jelana Trivan said the violence had nothing to do with moral values.

"These are hooligan gangs which must be punished severely," Ms Trivan said.

The mayor of Belgrade, Dragan Djilas, said the rioters had used Gay Pride as an excuse for a brawl.

"What's going on now has nothing to do with the Pride parade. Unfortunately there are always people who will use every opportunity to destroy their own city. Fortunately no lives were lost - this is the most important thing."

Marchers also bemoaned the continued evidence of agressive homophobia among some sections of Serbian society.

"It is a shame for me to march, to stand for what I am, and to have thousands of cops protect me from hysteric [sic] nationalists," lesbian activist Milena, 36, told Reuters.

A gay pride march planned last year was cancelled amid fears of violence.

On Saturday, several thousand people had protested against the march. Right-wing groups say that homosexuality is contrary to Serbian religious and family values.

The Serbian Orthodox Church condemned the parade on Friday but also warned against violence against participants.

The BBC's Mark Lowen says homosexuality is still largely a taboo in Serbia, a conservative and religious nation.

This year's event was being seen as a test of how far the country has come from the ultra-nationalism and violence of the 1990s and on its path to EU membership.

Silver Poster

Serbia is not just a conservative and religious nation. Itīs a fascist nation.

Rookie Poster

And for not to be misunderstood, smilies are there because i'm sick of those peole that search to
    relativize the gravity of what happened for short sighted political convenience.

Welp, I found my next vacation spot! Thanks for the recommendation Marcellogo!

Hooligan Gangs is that their offical name?

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by marcellogo View Post
    And for not to be misunderstood, smilies are there because i'm sick of those peole that search to
    relativize the gravity of what happened for short sighted political convenience.
    I happened to witness the Bosnian War. Although I was a child and not on the front lines, it was traumatic enough. This is not a reason to condemn the whole nation. The war has been over for 15 years, now, but most Serbs still believe in the nationalist propaganda. Those hooligans have massive support from the church and nationalist politicians, media and "theoreticians". They believe this gay parade is a shame for Belgrade while itīs completely ok to support war criminals like Radovan Karadzic and Ratko Mladic. Weīre not talking about these hooligans at all but about average people being potential butchers because this is what exactly happened in the Yugoslav wars. There have been a couple of marches with thousands of anti-gay "activists" holding their orthodox icons, shouting nationalist, racist and homophobic paroles because itīs "normal" in Serbia.

Rookie Poster

Default Not so simple...

Quote Originally Posted by Coroner View Post
    Serbia is not just a conservative and religious nation. Itīs a fascist nation.
    More than all is a nation of violence running wild and without restraint (also by part of police, ought to say).

See also in Zagreb where i lived, there is a gaypride and an anti gay pride, several years in a row now, but everytime happened in a quite controlled manner: everyone wawe their own flags says their own slogan, also if hateful, people get interwiewed, police do crown control, bye bye, see you again next year just like it would happen in a Us cities.
    The few accidents happened by hands of same disturbed individuals , that were arrested and put on trial, not beaten to death as it is usual east of there.
    And Croatians are as individualvery conservative, nationalist and religious , much more than the average Serbian, only as a society are more tolerant and not anymore (or better, they have never been) in a environment that condone, if not encourage mindless violence and chauvinism.

Rookie Poster

Default Quote!

Quote Originally Posted by Coroner View Post
    I happened to witness the Bosnian War. Although I was a child and not on the front lines, it was traumatic enough. This is not a reason to condemn the whole nation. The war has been over for 15 years, now, but most Serbs still believe in the nationalist propaganda. Those hooligans have massive support from the church and nationalist politicians, media and "theoreticians". They believe this gay parade is a shame for Belgrade while itīs completely ok to support war criminals like Radovan Karadzic and Ratko Mladic. Weīre not talking about these hooligans at all but about average people being potential butchers because this is what exactly happened in the Yugoslav wars. There have been a couple of marches with thousands of anti-gay "activists" holding their orthodox icons, shouting nationalist, racist and homophobic paroles because itīs "normal" in Serbia.
    Great, you have expressed in a wonderful manner what I intended to say about the "milieu" from which these violences are generated and nurtured.
    Worst thing is that this climate, how you say, it is quite omnipervasive, it doesn't come by a group, altought numerous of fanatics, but seems to contaminate the whole society.