Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    There's nothing accurate about the qualitative trends either. There's simply nothing accurate about the graph. Why don't you give us the link to a credible source for the data and let us draw the graph, Mr. Scientist? lol
    Never mind Trish, i have to be honest and tell you that i expected better of you of all people. I've always had a very high opinion of you, you're very sharp, but your mind will function better if you OPEN it occasionally and let it breath.
    At the end i asked "what do you THINK". Apparently you THINK lolling at me and insulting me is an intelligent response. I apologize for soiling your little forum, I won't bother you again.

we're always a step out of time,
    now ain't that a shame

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by tsafficianado View Post
    Never mind Trish, i have to be honest and tell you that i expected better of you of all people. I've always had a very high opinion of you, you're very sharp, but your mind will function better if you OPEN it occasionally and let it breath.
    At the end i asked "what do you THINK". Apparently you THINK lolling at me and insulting me is an intelligent response. I apologize for soiling your little forum, I won't bother you again.
    does trish HAVE TO agree with your opinion?

Smoke organic cigarettes. They're healthier for you.

John Ellis Bush in 2012!

TSafficianado.

Anything that gets banned gets smuggled. Anything! The smugglers don't forego anything else. They just add to their operation. There's a big black market in cigarettes already, & they're legal. Black marketeers just undercut the legit sellers because there's no taxes paid, & they still make a sizable profit. Smuggling across the borders is no big deal. The system & organization is already in place thanks to the perpetual ban on something or other for the last 90 years or so.

Economically , banning tobacco would be counterproductive. Not only would we have to vastly expand the DEA or create a whole new bureaucracy to enforce the ban, but we would also forego all the tax revenue that tobacco products generate at every level, which is considerable. Then there's the industry itself, which is huge. You're talking over $70 billion just in the US market, but I imagine exports are even bigger. You really think you can ban the product here without shutting down domestic production? This is what, a $ trillion industry altogether? A large part of it is agriculture. Shutting it down would be a major blow to several States & the entire Ag industry, along with all of its support industries. Could be a mortal blow to Caterpillar or John Deere.

Oh yeah: Since there's no evidence that banning any substance has ever worked (not ever ever ever...), savings on healthcare would likely be negligible. You say you're an afficianado on numbers too. Add it up. If you really want to do something about the smoking problem, & I agree it's a big problem, then fully cover the help in quitting the habit. Things like the gums, patches, Chantix, & all the counseling or support programs. It'd be a lot more cost effective in the long run without turning the economy on its head. The industry would shift its focus elsewhere through attrition as demand falls. RJR owns Nabisco. Lots of people would like to quit, but this is an extremely tough habit to break. It's not just the nicotine, & it's not about "will power" anymore than anorexia nervosa is an overdeveloped sense of vanity. There's always going to be some smokers, but nobody's going to quit just because somebody orders them to do so. A ban can't work.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~