Page 64 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14545960616263646566676869 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Greatest Quotes of all Time

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Robinson-Jeffers-Quotes-2.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	596968  

"It takes a long time for a man to look like his portrait" - James Whistler. Just thought of it looking at your Aventar.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Old Biddy Silver Poster Gillian's Avatar

Dutch: Who are you and how did you get in here?

(Undercover) Drebben: I'm a locksmith ... and I'm a locksmith

I wouldn't say it's the funniest line of all time, but it's up there ...

Bukowski...

Name:	8591charles-bukowski-posters.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	597397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	545y.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	597398   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9970_513343212057622_2140856022_n.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	597399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-conseil-de-lecture-pour-charles-bukowski-large.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	597400  

“When we're incomplete, we're always searching for somebody to complete us. When, after a few years or a few months of a relationship, we find that we're still unfulfilled, we blame our partners and take up with somebody more promising. This can go on and on--series polygamy--until we admit that while a partner can add sweet dimensions to our lives, we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter.”
    ― Tom Robbins

Your friendly, neighborhood, antichrist. XOXO

Very nice, TheKretch...

Rookie Poster

Pierce Brosnan's character from the movie “A few months ago I had this job in Manila… now normally this would make me happy. I like the hot climate, the guys look like chicks… it’s fucking fantastic.”

For the 4th of July, I will post some quotes from the founding fathers of the USA. These have an important actuality, as you will see. The quotes were gathered by Stephen D. Foster Jr.

“If I could conceive that the general government might ever be so administered as to render the liberty of conscience insecure, I beg you will be persuaded, that no one would be more zealous than myself to establish effectual barriers against the horrors of spiritual tyranny, and every species of religious persecution.”
    ~George Washington, letter to the United Baptist Chamber of Virginia, May 1789

“Of all the animosities which have existed among mankind, those which are caused by a difference of sentiments in religion appear to be the most inveterate and distressing, and ought to be deprecated. I was in hopes that the enlightened and liberal policy, which has marked the present age, would at least have reconciled Christians of every denomination so far that we should never again see the religious disputes carried to such a pitch as to endanger the peace of society.”
    ~George Washington, letter to Edward Newenham, October 20, 1792

“We have abundant reason to rejoice that in this Land the light of truth and reason has triumphed over the power of bigotry and superstition… In this enlightened Age and in this Land of equal liberty it is our boast, that a man’s religious tenets will not forfeit the protection of the Laws, nor deprive him of the right of attaining and holding the highest Offices that are known in the United States.”
    ~George Washington, letter to the members of the New Church in Baltimore, January 27, 1793

“The United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature; and if men are now sufficiently enlightened to disabuse themselves of artifice, imposture, hypocrisy, and superstition, they will consider this event as an era in their history. Although the detail of the formation of the American governments is at present little known or regarded either in Europe or in America, it may hereafter become an object of curiosity. It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven, more than those at work upon ships or houses, or laboring in merchandise or agriculture; it will forever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses.”
    ~John Adams, “A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America” 1787-1788

“I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibit the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson, letter to the Baptists of Danbury, Connecticut, 1802

“In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own. It is error alone that needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to Horatio Spofford, 1814

“Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, then that of blindfolded fear.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

“Strongly guarded as is the separation between Religion and Government in the Constitution of the United States, the danger of encroachment by Ecclesiastical Bodies, may be illustrated by precedents already furnished in their short history.”
    ~James Madison; Monopolies, Perpetuities, Corporations, Ecclesiastical
    Endowments

“Knowledge and liberty are so prevalent in this country, that I do not believe that the United States would ever be disposed to establish one religious sect, and lay all others under legal disabilities. But as we know not what may take place hereafter, and any such test would be exceedingly injurious to the rights of free citizens, I cannot think it altogether superfluous to have added a clause, which secures us from the possibility of such oppression.”
    ~Oliver Wolcott, Connecticut Ratifying Convention, 9 January 1788

Aldous Huxley.

Name:	Fiction.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	655159   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Homemade gods.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	655160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Religion and psych.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	655161