Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Only place ill go in southeast asia is Philippines warm hearted people & beautiful nation

Rookie Poster

some interesting comments here re things to do in my favorite country.

if you're feeling a bit more adventurous, maybe add in a float down the mekong river, or visit the river kwai (yeah, *that* movie). if you're into temples i'd put chiang mai near the top of any list.

but just in case you're considering a visit to the beautiful koh (island) samui -- one of my favorite spots -- you should be aware despite a couple posters' comments, i'd hardly call an hour's flight (or 12 hours on a bus/train/ferry) "close" to bangkok.

if you're looking for 'close' to bangkok, the beach towns of hua hin (relatively mellow and beautiful) and pattaya (wild and crazy) are within a couple hours' drive (no flying required), and just off the coast from pattaya you can daytrip to koh larn (and stare at the windfarm in the middle of the hillside jungle) or an easy over night to ko samet (van and ferry) and eat sitting literally on the sand at any of a dozen restaurants.

and while in bangkok, no doubt you'll visit the week-end market at chatuchak. a must-do.

enjoy.
    and good luck.

Professional Poster

good stuff thaibound

What gave me problems was my wife (gg), when we were taken from BKK to Hua Hin, The courier asked if it was OK to stop at a Roadhouse for the driver to get a big dose of caffeine because he was already at 25hours on the road!

On the other hand we had a gang in LOS for three months, building radar domes, they found many "interesting" locations in remote areas! One was a bar with glass ceilings, girls there were so poor, they could not afford panties. Our guys volunteered to go back free of pay...........

Junior Poster

Natasha, did you go? any updates on your trip to the Land Of Smiles?