Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gjamestgirlfan Professional Poster gjamestgirlfan's Avatar

Default Help needed on getting 1st book published

Hey i just wrote a massively email and then it failed once tried to post it.
    Hey i have a girlfriend who is transgendered and she lives in the good old Usa, she has just written her 1st book, which is now complete and she has had 6 rejections on so far, but as woman who wrote harry potter had rejections for over a year before she got publisher.
    She knows be tough for her, but i thought id try and help her and see if any girls in here maybe written a book and had published she is based in the denver region.
    I was wondering if maybe any area out there that maybe transgendered girls could maybe get extra help with getting published eg a company that helps or supports, or give her book a chance.
    As i know she is also writing out introduction letters about her book and herself and sending out, i know she also has got all books on what needs to be done to get published but nothing like word of mouth.
    As id soo love her to succeed as is a princess, so i thought id take my chance and ask here, doesnt have to be another transgender girl who help me, or even be a company that backs transgender girls like herself.
    But thought another area, that maybe help her, thank you so much for taking the time to read this.
    I know her book is a story and her 2nd book writing now is about life of a transgender girl, but fictional.
    Please feel free to message me or even better if know someone who take a look for her would mean a lot more, i would then be happy to help yourself out if i can at any stage.
    As im very loyal and helpful person to people who help me or others i care for.
    Thanks again.

I guess no one has had any books published or people who have havent read this or dont want to help, as i know finding hard to get her foot in the door, and she sooo deserves success, is a very professional writer but i just think needs to find that Niche, also if transgender backing company willing to give her book a chance would be great for herself.

you can pay any big publisher to handle your book, the difference being, you have no direct deal with the publisher other than to print your book and attach their name to it. At that point you can set up your own distribution through outlets like Amazon.com. After that you can promote it via the internet with blogs and sites like this one. You can also set up your own book tours by contacting some of the smaller radio stations and college radio for on air interviews. Local book stores will let you display your book but you have to do that on a store by store basis. Lots of work.

I think your best bet is to get the book printed, put it on Amazon, and promote it yourself. Then build on that. Good luck

Check your PMs in a sec.

Senior Member Platinum Poster giovanni_hotel's Avatar

Find a literary agent who's repped books with a somewhat alternative subject matter.
    Pitching a lit agent has a much higher success rate for getting your book published than cold soliciting a publishing house.

Go to a bookstore, find all the alt sex books that are vaguely similar, check the foreword at the beginning, and hopefully the author gave a shout out to his/her agent.

Do the detective work and either send them a proposal letter with a copy of your completed, copyrighted(!) manuscript, or better yet, see if you can schedule a visit to their office or sell them on the phone.

Published manuscript = hungry literary agent.

Also, lit agents and book editors tend to prowl local book fairs/conferences, so think about attending one, with your manuscript, and be ready to pitch your book in about five minutes.

fwiw

Thank you so much people who have responded so far, i have sent the information passed onto me to Nards, and she is very appreciative, if anyone else on here can give advice or publishing places be appreciated, thank you as well for person who sent me private message im awaiting a reply off you, Nards is very excited about hearing more about your comments, hope didnt mind me asking for more info, look forward to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by eyes wide shut View Post
    you can pay any big publisher to handle your book, the difference being, you have no direct deal with the publisher other than to print your book and attach their name to it. At that point you can set up your own distribution through outlets like Amazon.com. After that you can promote it via the internet with blogs and sites like this one. You can also set up your own book tours by contacting some of the smaller radio stations and college radio for on air interviews. Local book stores will let you display your book but you have to do that on a store by store basis. Lots of work.

I think your best bet is to get the book printed, put it on Amazon, and promote it yourself. Then build on that. Good luck
    Major publishing houses don't license their names to authors and their books.
    Sorry, but this is utter bullshit.

THE BODY 5 Star Poster SunshyneMonroe's Avatar

put in some lies about her fuckin a movie star?

If I were T, I'd think there would be no better time to get a memoir published about one's life as a transsexual.

Author Jeff Eugenides published a novel in 2002 that won a Pulitzer Prize for a novel called MIDDLESEX, about young hermaphrodite man and the generational odyssey of his immigrant Greek family in America.

I know Nards is now writing a 2nd book and this involves a transexual girl, but i know she doesnt want to be purely writing about herself or always transgendered, but i said to her to not avoid this industry as could also help her as well.
    She would like to say thanks to everyone who has sent advice to me on here, its much appreciated i have passed on all the comments people have made on here.
    Gaz
    ps if people have more eg good publishers names and addresses, or if had book produced yourself id love you to see if maybe could help Nadia out and have a look at her book, she just needs some opportunities that everyone does, she has done whole work on the book and would like someone to look at and maybe love it or give some constructive criticism.