Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by tsbrenda View Post
    you know if some one rats the pirate out ,do they get paid too?
    OMG, you're a fucking rat too? Let the powers that be handle it, rat. No one needs a goon in a Halloween mask narcing them out.

Default Innocent bystander

Ok, in advance im from germany, so my english isnt that good...
    Never planned to write here, just wanted to find some nice pictures for free...
    But somehow I felt forced to say something about this whole copyright issue

1. copyright is not a law of nature. First copyright laws were invented in europe around 1500.

2. Imho this discussion is about the wrong subject. It should be about what you want the internet to be - is it a tool of communication free to everybody or is it another way of commercial distribution of stuff.

As an IT professional I know that you can't have both - either you allow anonymous communication, then you will have ppl who use it to distribute content not in the way it was meant by the producers.
    Or you restrict the communication in such a way that this is not happening - and there are possibilities for that - but then we will life in an Orwell-like time, where everything anybody ever 'says' on the net is trackable.

My conclusion: copyright laws as they are now are too old-fashioned. I'm not saying that ppl should not be payed for the content they produce, but I dont think that the way it is done atm is just not working. Plus: Imho it's hypocrytical from the technical point of view that some ppl want to use the net to transfer the data they want - aka offering content for money - but want to restrict the use for others.

And: by all these prosecutions goin on in the net, and believe me, we have these in germany too, they only get those who are too dump to obscure their origin. If I want to download something illegal, you will never find out where I do this from.

All said above is meant only for private use - or abuse, as some would say.

Last edited by Fred30; 09-08-2010 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trans-Promo View Post
    Why would you have an issue with Widows and the family of an author benefiting from what is rightfully theirs through the death of the IP owner? 70 years after death or 120 if it was work for hire.
    Because I think it is contrary to the original intention of the Constitution. It specifies for limited times to the author of the work. The current law makes a mockery of the term limited. Nothing that goes into copyright today will expire in our lifetime. The original copyright law in the US was for 14 years, with an option to renew for an additional 14. Granted, it could be longer than 28 years and still be limited, but extending it to a term that intentionally exceeds the actual author's life is problematic.

The intent of the clause was to promote creative expression and knowledge, but ensuring that someone's great-grand kids receive royalties is, imo, not what they had in mind. If 70 years after death isn't perpetual, then how about 200, or 500, or 1000? Where do you draw the line?

PS- There is a reason that the law that made it life plus 70 is nick named the "Mickey Mouse Forever Act."

Last edited by NYBURBS; 09-18-2010 at 07:38 AM.

Rookie Poster

what's going to be very interesting to see is ih they are going to only go after current pirates, or past ones as well.

In addition, I'm willing to bet that a large number of the people who are pirating will be underage. I wonder how that will be handled.

Rookie Poster

At the end of the day piracy is always going to be around and threatening people isn't the way also legal wise I don't think in a lot of other countries they have a leg to stand on.

Why not if it's such a big issue just drm all there stuff I know it's annoying and people don't like drm but it does ad security to files or as other have said go around sites and get them to remove the content (wont work for torrents but you can't control everything)

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by morty View Post
    At the end of the day piracy is always going to be around and threatening people isn't the way also legal wise I don't think in a lot of other countries they have a leg to stand on.

Why not if it's such a big issue just drm all there stuff I know it's annoying and people don't like drm but it does ad security to files or as other have said go around sites and get them to remove the content (wont work for torrents but you can't control everything)
    Then obviously we won't be suing in those countries.

DRM is problematic. It's costly and time consuming to add to the videos. Further costs are ensued by the amount of customer service time we'd have to add for people having software/playability issues, this would in turn drive away members, causing lost revenue. The main issue though, is that it still can be hacked (stripped of the DRM) and shown.
    I would however be in favour of this if it was an industry wide initiative. If the adult internet industry as a whole had embraced DRM when it came out, we may be at a different place now and I'd certainly open up to looking at it again.
    Thanks

Yeah, all DRM does is cause an inconvenience for the people who don't pirate. I know in regards to videogames, slapping drm on it has caused piracy to increase greatly, like with Ubisoft and EA's game "Spore"

Those who anger you control you

I Love music, any kind of music ~ The O'Jays

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai View Post
    Then obviously we won't be suing in those countries.

DRM is problematic. It's costly and time consuming to add to the videos. Further costs are ensued by the amount of customer service time we'd have to add for people having software/playability issues, this would in turn drive away members, causing lost revenue. The main issue though, is that it still can be hacked (stripped of the DRM) and shown.
    I would however be in favour of this if it was an industry wide initiative. If the adult internet industry as a whole had embraced DRM when it came out, we may be at a different place now and I'd certainly open up to looking at it again.
    Thanks

Fair points I think a lot of other American studios don't do the drm route because they know like i stated you cant get rid of piracy they accept it but try to reduce it by making sites pull there content if people post it up even hollywood has problems going around suing people it's very hard and expensive process.

It is a tough one

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai View Post
    Thanks
    Even though you know it doesn't work?

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Even though you know it doesn't work?
    If it was industry wide, then more money would be put into it, tweaking it and making sure it did work and then work better. If it was the norm, than the end-user wouldn't have the same complaints about the software than if a couple of companies were doing it, it would be seen as standard.