Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UFC Gym

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Solitary Brother View Post
    I have been into boxing for a while.
    I do go to a PROFESSIONAL gym in the city.
    Im NOT into MMA.
    I am being trained by a trainer that worked with Freddy Roach.

As for throwing blows.....
    Keep your eye on my Youtube channel.

Have a nice Sunday.

Oh...even though I left the UFC gym its NOT a place for posers.
    Are you going to show yourself sparring or in amateur fights on your channel?

Hitting a bag, posting it on youtube and other sites the worst form of posing-trying to make people who don't train and know nothing about the sport think you're the shit.

So lets see some sparring or fight videos.

Default Re: UFC Gym

Quote Originally Posted by phobun View Post
    Poseur alert:

Missa Thunda Handz herself!
    funniest you tube video

Senior Member Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Solitary Brother View Post
    I have been into boxing for a while.
    I do go to a PROFESSIONAL gym in the city.
    Im NOT into MMA.
    I am being trained by a trainer that worked with Freddy Roach.
    Lots of MMA folks look down on boxing, they regard it at stale, and they think its less aplicable in real life, whereas with MMA they can get most serious damadge in real life...

Quote Originally Posted by ossumpeiEIEIO View Post
    Those places are for posers that want to tell everyone that they train MMA, but never actually fight. They wear the shirts and act tough, but never end throwing blows. Its a glorified Golds Gym, poser central.

If you want to learn MMA, then go to a MMA gym. If you want to learn boxing or TMA, Karate, BJJ, etc, then go to a dojo that teaches that stuff and has full contact sparring. Anything else and your just lifting weights and hitting pads, and that's not fighting.

I love it when a poser comes into my MMA school and acts like he's the shit. It is my favorite person to spar with. They can't believe this fat old bastard could move so fast, or just made them look foolish. They rarely last more than a month or two. We all laugh about it.
    I couldn't agree more (no, not that a fat old bastard can move so quickly) but that many MMA guys are really less talented than they think. I've been training in karate (Okinawan and Japanese styles) for over 30 years. Mixed-up Martial Artists are deluded into thinking that they can actually spar someone other than another MMA trained fighter and when they rush my legs for a take down, an elbow to the back of their head (actually I strike the shoulder muscle because I don't have to worry how hard I hit) usually takes the wind out of their sails. MMA tries to be too many things too quickly and does it too badly. Better to pick one style, boxing, karate, BBJ and train the shit out it and if necessary supplement it with another art after about 10-15 years. Old Japanese saying "Chase too many rabbits at one time and all you'll do is go hungry"

Oh, I may be on the side of the angels... but don't think for one second that I am one of them. (Sherlock Holmes)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobzz View Post
    I couldn't agree more (no, not that a fat old bastard can move so quickly) but that many MMA guys are really less talented than they think. I've been training in karate (Okinawan and Japanese styles) for over 30 years. Mixed-up Martial Artists are deluded into thinking that they can actually spar someone other than another MMA trained fighter and when they rush my legs for a take down, an elbow to the back of their head (actually I strike the shoulder muscle because I don't have to worry how hard I hit) usually takes the wind out of their sails. MMA tries to be too many things too quickly and does it too badly. Better to pick one style, boxing, karate, BBJ and train the shit out it and if necessary supplement it with another art after about 10-15 years. Old Japanese saying "Chase too many rabbits at one time and all you'll do is go hungry"
    Go to the wildcard gym and ask to be a sparring partner.

Deal Wit It!

Wildcard is a boxing gym. Setting aside for the moment we're on different coasts, I respect boxers greatly and most boxers aren't MMA types. I wouldn't go to any club or dojo and ask to be a sparring partner. That wasn't my point or the original posters point. Read my post again... "Better to pick one style, boxing, karate, BBJ and train the shit out it and if necessary supplement it with another art after about 10-15 years.." Hey, there're a lot of folks in plenty of styles who think that they're invincible. I know I'm not. It's once you think you're invincible is when you're most definitely not.

Oh, I may be on the side of the angels... but don't think for one second that I am one of them. (Sherlock Holmes)

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Equalizer View Post
    Lots of MMA folks look down on boxing, they regard it at stale, and they think its less aplicable in real life, whereas with MMA they can get most serious damadge in real life...
    Boxing is a sport, not a street fight. I'm sure there are a lot of MMA fighters that would get the shit kicked out of them if they went in the ring with a pro boxer. Granted MMA is probably a better style of fighting if you want to be able to go to a club and kick the shit out of people.

An amature does it till they get it right,
    A professional does it till they can't get it wrong.

Boxing is a sport but most fights break out with-in punching distance and with very little warning. In that scenario would you rather be in a fight with Tyson in his prime or Lesnar in his prime?

Quote Originally Posted by leckery5 View Post
    Boxing is a sport but most fights break out with-in punching distance and with very little warning. In that scenario would you rather be in a fight with Tyson in his prime or Lesnar in his prime?
    Obviouslyneither, but if it had to be one, Lesnar, If a prime Tyson took a shot ant anyone on the street they would be out cold from the first punch that landed, while I wouldn't want to fight Lesnar either obviously.

Fact is punches end fights instantly, try grappling someone to the ground and putting them in some sort of submission and the guys mates will be booting you in the back of the head.

If you can stay on your feet and throw accurate, devestating punches, you have a much better chance imo, and thats more tysons game than lesnar

Last edited by Infern0; 03-05-2011 at 03:34 AM.
    Deal Wit It!

Rookie Poster

I read this thread....I felt embarrassed by all the replys and the wannabe's

so i listend to this instead