Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Derek's better than Babe Ruth

The Babe never had to face a Latino pitcher.... no split fingers, no cutters, no screw balls. In Babe's era it was strictly fastball/ curve. The pitchers were skinny white guys who were part time ball players that worked regular jobs during the off season.

Here's to Derek Jeter breaking Babe Ruth's all time hit record. There's lots more records to come

Junior Poster

You must be a Colin Cowherd fan. He's a moron and a total tool. And no, pitchers threw many other pitches some of which are just called by different names nowadays and some that have been outlawed. Ever heard of a spitball? They also doctored the ball about 100 times more back then than they do now.

Also, there were far fewer teams back then so the talent was much more concentrated back then. Derek Jeter has been and will always be the most overrated Yankee in history.

"If hell freezes over, he'll be skating." - Spaceman Bill Lee on George Steinbrenner.

Junior Poster

And BTW, Ruth won 94 games as a pitcher with 148 complete games and 17 shutouts. I'd like to see your Nancy boy Jeter do that.

"If hell freezes over, he'll be skating." - Spaceman Bill Lee on George Steinbrenner.

Babe Ruth is a legend for the ages and no one will ever dispute that. I'm simply pointing out that the competition in his era was not very good.
    and yes, I heard Cowherd say that too. but sometimes the asshole makes a valid point

Junior Poster

You don't get that you're way off base there. In 1920, there were 8 AL teams. Now there are 14. That means there are 75% more players in the league than there were back then. Those extra players would have been at the AAA or AA level back then. There were also about twice as many levels in the minor leagues back then as there are now. Class B, C & D are all history but you still had to work your way through seven or eight levels before you could even get a cup of coffee in the Majors.

Have you ever heard of the term "dead ball era"? The damned baseball was as soft as a softball is today. Babe Ruth would have hit balls 700 feet with the tightly wound, hard as a brick ball today. That's the trouble with comparing today's players with ones from 100 years ago. Nobody knows the history and how baseball was played back then. Assholes like Cowherd use this to make completely retarded comparisons and the masses eat it up. It boggles my mind that anyone would seriously put Jeter in the same rank as the Babe. If Derek played back then, he'd be a punch and judy hitter and probably wouldn't have lasted more than a couple of years in the Majors because his defense would have sucked compared to the all-glove, no hit SS wonders of that era.

PS. Do you even know what the strike zone was back then? I'd love to see Jeter try to hit a shoulder high fastball consistantly.

Last edited by JoePitt; 08-18-2010 at 06:21 AM.

Most baseball people say that the dead ball era ended in 1919 when a new harder baseball was introduced, resulting in Ruth's 29 homers that season. Within a year the spit ball was outlawed and balls were removed from play as soon as they got dirty, making them much easier to see by the hitters. Babe saw the writing on the wall and switched from being a pitcher to a position player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead-ball_era

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    Most baseball people say that the dead ball era ended in 1919 when a new harder baseball was introduced, resulting in Ruth's 29 homers that season. Within a year the spit ball was outlawed and balls were removed from play as soon as they got dirty, making them much easier to see by the hitters. Babe saw the writing on the wall and switched from being a pitcher to a position player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead-ball_era
    Hmm. There really is no hard date. The harder ball was only one factor. Many ballparks still had incredibly long fences. That clean ball rule didn't take effect until '21. The existing spitball pitchers were grandfathered in. The last one retired in 1934. 1919 was the beginning of the end. Maybe the Babe saw the wall writing, but I've also read that he got bored with pitching and demanded to hit full time. Even back then, chicks dig the long ball. Either story is believable to me.

For me, I always used the Murderer's Row Yankees of 1927 for the end of the Dead Ball Era.

for me, the dead ball era ended when Ray Chapman died in 1920 from being beaned in the head during a September late afternoon game at the Polo Grounds. They said he just didn't see the ball because it had been so scuffed up by the pitcher and it was beginning to get dark.
    Almost immediately afterwards, the league instructed umps to remove baseballs as soon as they became discolored. To save money they started using cheaper made tighter stitched balls

Advantage-hitters (1921)

The Babe never had to face a Latino pitcher.... no split fingers, no cutters, no screw balls. In Babe's era it was strictly fastball/ curve. The pitchers were skinny white guys who were part time ball players that worked regular jobs during the off season.

Here's to Derek Jeter breaking Babe Ruth's all time hit record. There's lots more records to come
    Don't forget that Babe started out as a pitcher not an everyday player. He would have had alot more hits and homers had he played everyday.

for me, the dead ball era ended when Ray Chapman died in 1920 from being beaned in the head during a September late afternoon game at the Polo Grounds. They said he just didn't see the ball because it had been so scuffed up by the pitcher and it was beginning to get dark.
    Almost immediately afterwards, the league instructed umps to remove baseballs as soon as they became discolored. To save money they started using cheaper made tighter stitched balls

Advantage-hitters (1921)
    How does an old man like you remember that far back? I'm amazed you can even use a computer

"Do you remember V. P. Dick Cheney "
    'YES, I DO. I use to call him 'TAINT'.
    "Taint? Why did you call him that?"
    'Because in every picture he was between Bush and Colin'

I'm still pissed Coolidge didn't run for a second term