Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

The Badge (2002)@@AMEPARAM@@http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTkwMzE5OTM4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTc3MDEyMQ@@._ V1._SX99_SY140_.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@BMTkwMzE5OTM4OV5BMl 5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTc3MDEyMQ@@@@AMEPARAM@@SX99@@AMEPAR AM@@SY140

Not too many people in the TS community are familiar with this film, it seems, but I thought it was really good. It's about TS getting murdered in Louisiana, and how a transphobic sheriff, played by Billy Bob Thorton, deals with solving the case. Patricia Arquette plays a stripper in it too. It has a lot to say about the overall apathy surrounding hate crimes against transsexuals; in this case, murder. The TS character doesn't really appear, other than in a few brief flashbacks towards the end. But the story is poignant and the acting is great.

The Badge - Video

Last edited by Nicole Dupre; 08-02-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Dupre View Post
    Not too many people in the TS community are familiar with this film, it seems, but I thought it was really good. It's about TS getting murdered in Louisiana, and how a transphobic sheriff, played by Billy Bob Thorton, deals with solving the case. Patricia Arquette plays a stripper in it too. It has a lot to say about the overall apathy surrounding hate crimes against transsexuals; in this case, murder. The TS character doesn't really appear, other than in a few brief flashbacks towards the end. But the story is poignant and the acting is great.

Yeah, I saw this film a few months ago. Picked up a DVD of it in a bargain basement at a local shop for £2. I expected it to be one of those crappy straight-to-DVD films but was very pleasantly surprised.

Gold Poster

I can list a few more films with positive transgender characters,the king and clown grossed more then 85 million dollars in south korea and one of them main characters is transsexual.

The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros

The King and the Clown

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    I can list a few more films with positive transgender characters,the king and clown grossed more then 85 million dollars in south korea and one of them main characters is transsexual.

The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros
    The King & The Clown is not available in the UK. Shame...

As for The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros: Amazon describes it as "the story of a 12-year-old boy who realises he is gay and falls in love with a local policeman." Yuk - that sounds pedo!

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by traLika View Post
    The King & The Clown is not available in the UK. Shame...

As for The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros: Amazon describes it as "the story of a 12-year-old boy who realises he is gay and falls in love with a local policeman." Yuk - that sounds pedo!
    lol, its not like that at all.The character just has a crush and falls in love with the policeman, the policeman doesn't like him in any kind of way sexually he just feels sorry for maxi because maxi's family is a bunch of con artist and thieves and they use him.It's not pedo at all,its like when you develop a crush/like your school teacher but she doesn't like you back but at the same time she is still nice and still wants to help you.

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    lol, its not like that at all.The character just has a crush and falls in love with the policeman, the policeman doesn't like him in any kind of way sexually he just feels sorry for maxi because maxi's family is a bunch of con artist and thieves and they use him.It's not pedo at all,its like when you develop a crush/like your school teacher but she doesn't like you back but at the same time she is still nice and still wants to help you.

I hear ya. I guessed it might be something like this. I'll put it back on my list of films to check out. Thanks for clarifying!

Junior Poster

Default Movie Queens

The Philadelphia experiment where a sailor travels forward in time and winds up in jail next to a transsexual.

Also, the Last Seduction, a modern film noir with Linda Fiorentino seducing, and using, a rube who had a short marraige to a transsexual. Credit for the TS part went to Serena.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by traLika View Post
    Thanks for clarifying!
    No problem.

I was gonna list "Wild Side" at first but i forgot the name of it but its another postive film where the main character is a transgender woman who travels back home with her two gay male freinds and she takes care of her sick mother.

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

Lot of good, and not so good movies mentioned.

I'm partial to Soldier's Girl, Princessa, Beautiful Boxer. And while I feel that
    Life Is Hot In Cractown was pedestrian, I truly loved the transwoman
    character in it, played by Kerri Washington.

Also check out these sites for more trans-themed movies:

http://theipowa.org/?q=content/movies-video

http://www.superliminal.com/melinda/tgmovies.htm

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Inigo_Montoya View Post
    There are quite a few actually that portray transsexuals in a very realistic light. Maybe not a whole lot pushing the happy go lucky romantic angle, but some try.

20 Centimeters (this one always makes me think of Mariana Cordoba)
    TransAmerica
    My Life in Pink
    Agnes and His Brothers
    Princessa
    All About My Mother
    Soldier's Girl
    Bad Education

....the list goes on. Those are just the few I could think of off the top of my head.
    also check out " Wild Life" and "Beautiful Boxer " which based off a true story of highly skilled Thai-boxer turned transgender.
    Don't forget " The Badge" with Billy Bob Thorton.

wasn't there a famous TG frequenting in ABC's " Dirty Sex, Money and Lies" ?

transgenders in movies have been more displayed as crossdressers and TVs rather than TGs. And even moreso in FOREIGN films rather than the
    U.S. films. i think we are still naive or non-receptive to transgendered related movies.