Page 170 of 182 FirstFirst ... 70120160165166167168169170171172173174175180 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 1813
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Default Re: Climate change could mean the extinction of our species

Yet we can essentially guarantee a significant decline in the future quality of human life should we do nothing about the activities that dump mega-tons of greenhouse gasses into the Earth's atmosphere on an annual basis. Fear has little to do with our overall reaction to this issue; it is rather a matter of reason versus apathy.

4 out of 4 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

World food security increasingly at risk due to 'unprecedented' climate change impact, new UN report warns:

https://news.un.org/en/story/2019/08/1043921

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

How much destruction is needed for us to take climate change seriously?

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ange-seriously

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    How much destruction is needed for us to take climate change seriously?
    When LA and Las Vegas finally run out of water and Broadway is a river? Who knows, your next President may actually care enough to develop practical policies to deal with it before it becomes crisis management

Ps welcome back Ben, what have you been doing in your long, lamented absence?

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Professional Poster rabbitfufu's Avatar

It is up to everybody not just Trump. What have YOU done to save our home. Ate at mc Donald's where the beef comes from what used to be the rainforests, are you a rapier at Starbucks?

Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitfufu View Post
    It is up to everybody not just Trump. What have YOU done to save our home. Ate at mc Donald's where the beef comes from what used to be the rainforests, are you a rapier at Starbucks?
    What are YOU doing then?...

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitfufu View Post
    I eat meat, but probably only two or three times a week, and mostly to accompany my diligent support of wine producers in Burgundy where once I almost got a job in a vineyard (I was three weeks too early and had nowhere to stay so I ended up harvesting plonk in the Midi). I live in a town that has a good re-cycling system and numerous bottle banks and other such re-cycling points. I don't pollute the air with tobacco/vape, I don't pollute it with fumes from vehicles though I have been known to sneeze in winter, mostly into a paper tissue. On my last trip to Paris I went by train (Eurostar) and would consider going to North America by sea if the opportunity arises, but not on one those ghastly floating cities. My conservation plan for Greenland consists in part of a water retention scheme so as not to waste it as the ice cap melts; a socio-economic programme to protect the indigenous inhabitants from marauding Americans in search of rare-earth metals that we don't need (the energy they provide can be created from alternative sources), and think the fact that Scotland is half-empty is one of its enduring attractions.

But, I cannot answer this question -
    are you a rapier at Starbucks? because I don't understand it.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    But, I cannot answer this question -
    are you a rapier at Starbucks? because I don't understand it.
    Pretty sure it's not a thing. I've been told I have a barista like wit but not sure they have rapiers at starbucks.

2 out of 3 members liked this post.

Senior Member Professional Poster rabbitfufu's Avatar

remember your histoty...The Hudson river was severely polluted as well as most of Europe in the industrial age , you don't think that could helped start the ice melting, and don't forget the methane gas given off by cow farts

"The Trump administration is finalizing plans to allow oil and gas drilling in a portion of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge that has been protected for decades.
    The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) will offer leases on essentially the entire 1.6m-acre coastal plain, which includes places where threatened polar bears have dens and porcupine caribou visit for calving. Drilling operations are expected to be problematic for Indigenous populations, many of which rely on subsistence hunting and fishing."
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...l-gas-drilling

This is sad news, as my understanding is that the drilling that did take place in the ANWR in the 1980s did not discover hydrocarbons with the same volume as those in Prudhoe Bay, so I see no need for this. The policy is revenge on Obama -just as he sought to protect the environment, so P45 is determined to mess it up, even destroy it just out of spite because a Black Man entered the White House as President. It is pathetic, childish but to be expected. As for the wildlife and the people who actually there, why doesn't P45 tell it like it is, and tell them to go to hell?
    But 'tis he that is making hell out of America.