Page 167 of 182 FirstFirst ... 67117157162163164165166167168169170171172177 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 1813
    your fantasy Veteran Poster Ts RedVeX's Avatar

Default Re: Climate change could mean the extinction of our species

Hey how are you finding global warming and all? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1519920332590-1193028511.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	767.1 KB 
ID:	1061616
    P.S.
    I think the author of hungangels' CMS would be better off on the dole than in web development. Stavros and the other commies can prolly see to you getting a decent social house and healthcare funded by the hard-working, wherever you are, and you won't have to worry about heating cos of global warming!

1 out of 3 members liked this post.
    Last edited by Ts RedVeX; 03-01-2018 at 06:12 PM.
    REDVEX's KINGDOM

Arrange an appointment via adultwork.com (please call beforehand to see if I am free at the desired time)

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Up to date (Feb 2018 ) UAH satellite data ->
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UAH_LT_1979_thru_February_2018_v6.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	329.6 KB 
ID:	1061775  

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Vox has produced a compelling article based on the report from the Office of Management and Budget that proves that under President Obama, Federal Regulations were economically beneficial to US citizens even with high costs, and that the EPA regulations out-performed other departments. They also argue the hostility by the Republican Party to regulatory frameworks is not based on their efficacy, but hostility to the change in direction that money takes when they are implemented. For example, Regulations do not 'kill jobs' but re-distribute them across the US economy.

Here are some extracts-

OMB gathered data and analysis on “major” federal regulations (those with $100 million or more in economic impact) between 2006 and 2016, a period that includes all of Obama’s administration, stopping just short of Trump’s. The final tally, reported in 2001 dollars:

• Aggregate benefits: $219 to $695 billion
    • Aggregate costs: $59 to $88 billion

By even the most conservative estimate, the benefits of Obama’s regulations wildly outweighed the costs.

EPA rules, OMB writes, “account for over 80 percent of the monetized benefits and over 70 percent of the monetized costs” of federal regulation during this period.

For example, new fuel economy standards for medium- and heavy-duty engines had (in 2001 dollars) between $6.7 billion and $9.7 billion in benefits. But they cost industry $0.8 billion to $1.1 billion.
    The MATS rule, aimed at reducing toxic emissions from power plants, had between $33 billion and $90 billion in benefits (in 2007 dollars, for some reason), but it cost industry $9.6 billion.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envir...ory-agenda-omb

Last edited by sukumvit boy; 03-08-2018 at 03:30 AM.

An accidental discovery on a rubbish dump in Japan has the long term potential to reduce the volume of plastic in our oceans. The discovery of a plastic eating enzyme has led to the creation of a mutant that can't get enough of the stuff -

The international team then tweaked the enzyme to see how it had evolved, but tests showed they had inadvertently made the molecule even better at breaking down the PET (polyethylene terephthalate) plastic used for soft drink bottles. “What actually turned out was we improved the enzyme, which was a bit of a shock,” said Prof John McGeehan, at the University of Portsmouth, UK, who led the research. “It’s great and a real finding.”

Although it will take time for the real impact to take effect, the potential for this reminds us that science doesn't really do despair, that it might take time, but solutions can be found, often by accident. Whether or not there are any whales left by the time this comes to pass we cannot know. A large population of Penguins in Antarctica was only found recently so there is still a vast amount we do not know about the Oceans and its populations.

Full article is here-
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...lastic-bottles

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

I'm just worried that the spread of these bacteria will make my dildos go limp. But thanks for the heads-up. Interesting article.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world. https://newmatilda.com/2018/05/01/ap...eptional-heat/

Anything to say on this, Redvex? Communists in the weather bureau, perhaps?

your fantasy Veteran Poster Ts RedVeX's Avatar

There will be communists there too but Australia is not exactly the indicator of global climate, is it? I am in the UK and I still need to keep my heaters on - in fucking May!

Oh, and a few cents on those enzymes.. If anyone of you has a friend that works in forests, then you might wanna ask them how oftrn do they need to buy new heavy duty shoes. Only it must be not be a commie that sits his lazy ass in the lodge, but one that is out and about. Nature doesn't need aid to eat through most of our inventions...

Last edited by Ts RedVeX; 05-02-2018 at 12:16 PM.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Ts RedVeX View Post
    There will be communists there too but Australia is not exactly the indicator of global climate, is it? I am in the UK and I still need to keep my heaters on - in fucking May!
    That would be why people look at the global average temperature, as shown in Trish's post above. The point is that what is happening in Australia is far more representative of the global climate than what might be happening in the UK right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ts RedVeX View Post
    Don't be so impatient! Temperatures will be in the 20s from Saturday for most of the week.