Page 145 of 182 FirstFirst ... 4595135140141142143144145146147148149150155 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1813
    filghy2 Silver Poster

Default Re: Climate change could mean the extinction of our species

Peace in our time! Now for the Middle East peace settlement, or maybe Korea.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by peejaye View Post
    Funny how it's always outsiders slagging the Russians off?
    Never hear many Russians slagging their own country off? Most of the programmes I've watched show Russians are staunchly proud of their origins. As I befriended one for over seven years & met many others only confirms my thoughts.
    Some cunts been watching the BBC news too often.
    Okay, I'm not going to sit in a circle, hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

Are you and RedVex aware that people like you are not exactly treated well in Russia? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Russia

Yes, Putin has 'made Russia great again', which is why he is probably popular with most Russians. Hitler also made Germany great again in the 1930s, and the average German would have had the same view at the start of WW2. That's if they where Aryan, heterosexual and had no past left-wing associations (the Nazis were very effective in suppressing 'commies'). That did not end well.

That's how it goes with dictatorships. Power corrupts and once they are in power there is no easy way to get them out. As Churchill said, democracy is the worst form of government apart from all the others.

It's unlikely I'm watching too much BBC news as I don't live in the UK.

Senior Member Professional Poster peejaye's Avatar

I was about to say take a good look at this place & the scum running it but if you don't reside here it looses its context?
    I've been to Russia many times & I've had no unpleasant experiences & met many of my ex girlfriends friends too who were very hospitable.
    It's a shame we(I) live in a country promoting so much fake news about Russia, I know Putins' not whiter than white but Russians buy their own homes now & most live in a Westernized society, in the cities.

Take a look at our Leaders before we mock the Russians;
    1. Our Prime Minister is married to a man who advises the rich on how to avoid tax!
    2. Our Head of State as also had income hidden away in offshore accounts to avoid paying taxes, that amounts to the crown robbing the crown!
    3. 25% of our children live below the poverty line!
    4. 16,000 more homeless people on our streets than this time last year!
    5. We have Members of the cabinet jetting off for secret meetings with other foreign Diplomats, who knows WTFk they are up to?

Russia is not a dictatorship, I don't care what the BBC say, I wouldn't believe those cunts if they told me tomorrow was Monday! It doesn't matter where you live but you are probably aware of the "BBC World service"? All I do know is you're probably living in a better place than I am? If this place doesn't get a change to replace this current Establishment very soon & predict some sort of civil war brewing!

Apologies as this thread is about Climate change, let's respect that!

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by peejaye View Post
    I was about to say take a good look at this place & the scum running it but if you don't reside here it looses its context?
    I've been to Russia many times & I've had no unpleasant experiences & met many of my ex girlfriends friends too who were very hospitable.
    It's a shame we(I) live in a country promoting so much fake news about Russia, I know Putins' not whiter than white but Russians buy their own homes now & most live in a Westernized society, in the cities.

Take a look at our Leaders before we mock the Russians;
    1. Our Prime Minister is married to a man who advises the rich on how to avoid tax!
    2. Our Head of State as also had income hidden away in offshore accounts to avoid paying taxes, that amounts to the crown robbing the crown!
    3. 25% of our children live below the poverty line!
    4. 16,000 more homeless people on our streets than this time last year!
    5. We have Members of the cabinet jetting off for secret meetings with other foreign Diplomats, who knows WTFk they are up to?

Russia is not a dictatorship, I don't care what the BBC say, I wouldn't believe those cunts if they told me tomorrow was Monday! It doesn't matter where you live but you are probably aware of the "BBC World service"? All I do know is you're probably living in a better place than I am? If this place doesn't get a change to replace this current Establishment very soon & predict some sort of civil war brewing!
    There are some important differences between the UK and Russia, Peejaye. The absence of political opposition to Putin -how many parties and opposition politicians can you name, compared to the same exercise in Europe and America? Britain has been part of the Gulf Wars and regime change in Libya just as Russia has been deeply involved in Syria, but Russia has also invaded Ukraine and created two phoney statelets compliant to Russian interests in the east of that country, and provided the weaponry that shot down a civilian airliner killing all on board. I don't believe the British have intervened in domestic Russian politics since the days of Sidney Reilly, whereas the Russians are now implicated in the EU Referendum campaign and are delighted with the result, much as they have been directly involved in the US Presidential election of 2016.
    Yes, the money the UK as lost from -legal, mostly- tax avoidance schemes should have been retained for use in the UK, and we may yet hear of new measures to stop this from Philip Hammond's budget speech in ten days time; but spare a thought for the trillions lost to Russia that oligarchs and criminals have sent to the USA via the City of London, where it has been transformed into plush apartments in Manhattan (think Tower Block, think 'Tower Heist') and real estate in Florida.

And don't forget the answer to the question-Who killed Alexander Litvinenko? A nuclear attack on the UK as a result of which we should probably have either gone to war, or broken off diplomatic relations.

As for climate change and the environment, this article from the FT discusses the enduring importance of oil and gas and coal, and the feeble attempts to promote alternative energy, constrained by the impact of sanctions, although Russia has signed the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, indeed with Syria doing so recently only the USA has walked away from it. But I guess for their current President, a majority of one is all you need.

One extract from the interesting article:
    Russia’s tiny use of renewables, at 3.6 per cent of total energy consumption, is a black spot in a global surge in the use of green technology, which accounted for more than 18.3 per cent of the world’s energy supply in 2014, according to the International Energy Agency. Fellow Bric nations China and Brazil boast usage of more than 25 and 45 per cent respectively.
    https://www.ft.com/content/638e1dc6-...c-6d03d067f81f

Senior Member Junior Poster

Saw some intesting stats that helped me better understand the general apathy toward claimant change in the USA.

41% of Americans believe Christ will return to earth by the year 2050!

When that large a percentage of the population believe, even pray, for the “End of Days” in the next 33 years it’s not hard to see why they don’t concern themselves much with the long term affects of anything, let alone climate change!

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aticus100 View Post
    41% of Americans believe Christ will return to earth by the year 2050!
    JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!
    I didn't know so many of us were idiots; according to a PEW research poll conducted in 2010 ( http://www.people-press.org/2010/06/...ise-and-peril/ ). To be fair only 28% believed He would definitely return by 2050. The other 18% thought it was probable. That was seven years ago. Maybe people have since brightened up? Please God please, enlighten the blind, and let science shine in.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    [/URL]
    The Litvinenko business was awful, I agree. The point I was making is the level of corruption at the helm of OUR democracy at the moment!
    Putin's almost untouchable, yes. I don't think anyone else dare stand against him? Back to the this thread though; I think it's commendable that they(Russia) have signed the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, the level of pollution in that place is something else, no surprise considering all the heavy industry they still have! Are we the only country who've decimated most of it?

Senior Member Silver Poster

I would have to go to school for four years to actually get a grip on climate change, so I can't comment on it....It kind of brings up a problem I used to bump into posting on this site: who am I talking to, the dumb people or the smart people?
    Smart people are wasted on me, he he. If Einstein explained everything to me in a dream, that would be a miracle.

World Class Asshole

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by buttslinger View Post
    I would have to go to school for four years to actually get a grip on climate change, so I can't comment on it....It kind of brings up a problem I used to bump into posting on this site: who am I talking to, the dumb people or the smart people?
    That's why we have experts. Most people understand that if they have a serious health problem they should find a good doctor, rather than trying to find the answer on the internet. But on this issue we have some people who think they know more than the climate science experts because of a few things they picked up on the internet.

If people were really smart they would be getting paid to work on these issues rather than debating them here. You probably have as much chance finding wisdom on this forum as you would from a few random people on the street.

1 out of 2 members liked this post.