Page 162 of 182 FirstFirst ... 62112152157158159160161162163164165166167172 ... LastLast
Results 1,611 to 1,620 of 1813
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Default Re: Climate change could mean the extinction of our species

From the article you linked,
    "During the Permian Period, Antarctica was much warmer than it is today. At the time, Antarctica was then still part of Gondwana, the Southern Hemisphere’s supercontinent that incorporated present-day Africa, South America, Arabia, India and Australia."

Antarctica didn't, at that time, occupy the polar region. To be sure it was still south of the 60S parallel and the forest nevertheless had to be hearty to survive. The warming at that location, at that time was clearly due in part to the (re)location of Antarctica; i.e. to continental drift.

Interesting article. So your point is...not all climate events have been due to the greenhouse effect?...we just need to be hearty?...we should just rearrange the continents?...what?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by trish; 01-17-2018 at 01:00 AM.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Addendum: I should have rather said, "...the warmth at that location, at that time..." The later cooling of Antarctica was in part due its movement toward the Southern Polar region.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

What "going green" really means......$$$$$$$$$
    http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/...nused-misused/

1 out of 2 members liked this post.
    "I am, a SIGMA Male...

Quote Originally Posted by MrFanti View Post
    What "going green" really means...
    So the point is anthropogenic climate change is a hoax perpetrated by the LAPD and BMW? By the State of California so they can torment the LAPD with an unwanted fleet of electric cars? Yeah, that explains everything, except the climate data and why the models based atmospheric and oceanographic physics and chemistry are so good at accounting for those observations.

What the article really demonstrates is that expensive, half-assed measures can create more problems than they solve and that corporations will generally take any opportunity to make a profit. This is the exact opposite of what greening really means.

Your gleeful posting of the article demonstrates that deniers still cannot separate science from politics and political ideology. The fact that a corporation made a profit by selling a fleet of cars to a police force that refused to use them can be used to discredit a any number of institutions and ‘philosophies’, but certainly not the science of climate change.

Look. I don’t pretend to know how to solve all the problems that climate change will bring. My interest in this thread is the science of climate change and it’s possible consequences to the biosphere and the possible consequences to our civilization. I’ll let you figure out whether unregulated market forces alone can circumvent the coming disasters or whether it might necessitate some other form of cooperation. I suppose a truly selfish entrepreneur (in the good sense, à la Ayn Rand) can find a way to profit from any situation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0000104_the_virtue_of_selfishness_a_new_concept_of_egoism_mp3_cd_audio_book_360.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	1052775  

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by MrFanti View Post
    What "going green" really means......$$$$$$$$$
    http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/...nused-misused/
    It's good that you've told us you are an independent thinker, otherwise people might get the impression that you are just providing selective pieces of 'evidence' to support a pre-conceived agenda.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    What the article really demonstrates is that expensive, half-assed measures can create more problems than they solve and that corporations will generally take any opportunity to make a profit. This is the exact opposite of what greening really means.
    That's why people who understand economics have always argued for some form of carbon tax or emissions trading scheme, which creates the incentive to reduce emissions but leaves it to the private sector to find the most efficient ways to do so. But people like the Fantisizer won't have a bar of that either, which is why we get a bunch of inefficient bureaucratic measures instead.

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by peejaye View Post
    I don't bother wasting my time like you marking thumbs up or thumbs down as it's totally irrelevant!
    I'm really calm & very happy with Br-exit. That's why I'm not wasting my time arguing with idiots on here who can't accept it!
    You & Stavros deserve each other, you can spend all day holding hands searching the internet for neo-liberal right of centre websites then posting links on here which bolster your beliefs.

Learn not to sterotype people
    Lmao!

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Professional Poster peejaye's Avatar

Oh dear, calm down deary

your fantasy Veteran Poster Ts RedVeX's Avatar

The point is not to leave crude measurements out but to accept that you can predict fuck-all with your couple-of-decades worth of temperature measurements, since you do not even consider anything like Solar flux in your shitty report. (That's the answer to Trish's earlier communist post trying to insinuate I am a hypocrite).

Oh, of course state should not interfere in economy. Not bailing out failing enterprises is exactly that. - Not interfering. I am not sure what your point is... Unless that maybe you are trying to say fascism is good.

2 out of 3 members liked this post.
    Last edited by Ts RedVeX; 01-22-2018 at 07:10 PM.
    REDVEX's KINGDOM

Arrange an appointment via adultwork.com (please call beforehand to see if I am free at the desired time)

Quote Originally Posted by Ts RedVeX View Post
    The point is not to leave crude measurements out but to accept that you can predict fuck-all with your couple-of-decades worth of temperature measurements, since you do not even consider anything like Solar flux in your shitty report. (That's the answer to Trish's earlier communist post trying to insinuate I am a hypocrite)....
    (the boldfacing is mine)
    What do you think the solar constant measures? What have we been discussing for the last several posts? What do kilowatts per square meter measure if not a flux of energy (in this case from the Sun, you know: Sol)?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.