Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Whether you like him or hate him, he's raising the profile of the sport & got us all talking.

nah... I disagree... hes a spectacle yes but not nearly the next coming of Royce!

Chased Thru The Woods... 5 Star Poster bte's Avatar

I don't think you can compare Brock Lesnar to Royce Gracie. Royce Gracie and his family bought BJJ to the US and was a pioneer to the sport of MMA alongside his family. Almost every MMA fighter in some way shape or form is connected to the Gracie clan.

Brock Lesnar on the other hand represents MMA because he is bringing it to the fore front. Don't know if you noticed but on Monday, but almost every show on ESPN was talking about UFC 116. From Sports Center to Pardon the Interruption, they were clamouring about the Lesnar and Carwin fight. Although I believe that ESPN should recognize that MMA is a legitimate sport and have a daily show devoted to it or something like that. They have MMA Live but that comes on once a week if that. I mean ESPN shows darts and poker but no MMA programming.

Blood's thicker like a virgin's pussy on Homecoming.

Agree with you bte.

why so much emphasis on ESPN? Wrestlemainia 24 got HUGE coverage when Floyd money too part with the Big Show... In other words, they cover whats relevant... PPV buys have been steady since before Lesner... fact is, with or with out him this sport has been the #1 growing sport in the US for 3 years straight. Lets see if the next Lesner fight makes ESPN... probably not...

fyi: if I'm not mistaken... Royce started the UFC... I may be wrong, but I dont think so...

It wasn't Royce, but it was his brother Rorion alongside Art Davie who were responsible for early creation of UFC. Royce did compete in UFC 1 though. MMA is the fastest growing sport in the world. I do not think nobody will dispute that.

Since Lesnar is considered the "top heavyweight in the world" (I don't really like that title) then all the attention is placed on him. He is seen by many (non MMA fans) as the face of MMA and thus all the attention is placed upon him. Almost every sports show on Monday on ESPN mentioned something about the Lesnar vs. Carwin fight. They didn't even mention the other fights.

Hopefully in the next few years that sport shows will be talking about MMA the same way they talk about football instead of only talking about it when something big happens.

wishful thinking but I seriously doubt that will ever happen... the sport has to have a much larger draw for that to happen... WWE sells out 25-45k arenas on a weekly basis AND the smoke all prime time ratings and you never hear anything about them UNLESS its mainia time... not a sport maybe, but its about grandeur and attention... MLS barely gets mentioned during a NON-world cup year... this sport is best in the shadows where us faithful can love to love it!!!

WWE used to be big in the ratings, but they haven't really made an impact lately. Their only draw is PPVs. Especially during Wrestlemania, they sell more PPVs than the UFC I think. Also wrestling fans are now becoming MMA fans.

I think as more states legalize and sanction MMA that MMA will finally be recognized as a legitmate sport instead of as "bloodsport." FSSW broadcast MMA at times. They normally broadcast M1 (which is going out of business due to Fedor losing a couple of weeks ago) and K1, but ESPN needs to jump on the bandwagon and know that MMA is fastest growing sport in the world.

MLS is very tricky in America, because probably the majority of Americans do not care about soccer (or football). They think its too long and they just don't understand it. Just last week or maybe it was a couple of weeks ago, I heard on ESPN radio, Colin Cowherd talking about soccer and how he doesn't understand it. I think soccer has a long way to go for Americans to be interested in it. The only way Americans will be interested in it if America wins the World Cup. If America wins, then soccer will be huge, until that time, soccer will only be something that Americas care about during the World Cup. I watched the last World Cup when Italy won, but it was only because I was living there at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by bte View Post
    WWE used to be big in the ratings, but they haven't really made an impact lately. Their only draw is PPVs. Especially during Wrestlemania, they sell more PPVs than the UFC I think. Also wrestling fans are now becoming MMA fans.
    way wrong... RAW is a ratings monster!!! kills anything and everything on Monday night... by a long shot... once a month they put on a PPV which rakes amazing buys for a soap opera... and now that smackdown is leaving USA to a full HD network, they'll have a steady Neilson bump.

lil insider info... Shane McMahon left WWE to work more closely with Strikeforce/UFC/K9/K1/WEC and other mma brands... hmmmmmm, not to mention all the pro-wrestler turned mma fighters with many more to follow!!

my point... its best kept where it is right now... just under the top 4 sports in America!

Quote Originally Posted by diablito View Post
    way wrong... RAW is a ratings monster!!! kills anything and everything on Monday night... by a long shot... once a month they put on a PPV which rakes amazing buys for a soap opera... and now that smackdown is leaving USA to a full HD network, they'll have a steady Neilson bump.

lil insider info... Shane McMahon left WWE to work more closely with Strikeforce/UFC/K9/K1/WEC and other mma brands... hmmmmmm, not to mention all the pro-wrestler turned mma fighters with many more to follow!!

my point... its best kept where it is right now... just under the top 4 sports in America!
    You're right. I looked at the ratings of WWE and you are right. I knew Shane left the WWE and there was talk of him joining the UFC, but I never heard anything else about it. I knew he met with Dana though.

I think MMA has the potential to rise to stardom that boxing did in the 90s. If it does then it will be great for the sport. Also I heard that Batista is going MMA and signed with Strikeforce. Brock wished him good luck, and he said that Batista wouldn't want to fight him.