4 30.77%
  • Lack of education

6 46.15%
  • Violence

3 23.08%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Junior Poster goatman's Avatar

Default Re: Most potent tool of slavery

I think it's important to point out that while all the afore mentioned tools were indeed powerful & potent, none of them alone or in tandem was ultimately successful (as slavery itself was doomed to failure though it took 400 years to kill [overall] in this hemisphere[Western]). Many of these tools were, in fact, double-edged and caused as much harm to the majority/master-class as to the enslaved. The poor white[so called "trash"] was often as uneducated as the slaves themselves & held in a worse system of degradation because of the reliance on forced-labor-for profit in both agriculture & trades. Violence could just as easily be utilized by the oppressed as a weapon( see the numerous revolts in Hait, Jamaica, and the other islands as well as the Gabriel Prosser, Denemark Prossey & Nat Turner rebellions in our own country.) It was often said that no slave owner slept soundly. As to religion, once our people embraced Christianity, we used it as a weapon of resistance against our oppressor; often the story of the Exodus & the loving, emancipating embrace of a Savior in a world beyond the immediate mortal/material plane was used to show the hypocrisy of "masters" willing to defy the rule of "love thy neighbor as thyself" for comfort & profit.Religion became a means to resist. & of course the Church became the bedrock of the Black Community(as would be clearly evident in the post-Emancipation Jim Crow years, the Great Migration North & the Civil Rights Struggle.)

Senior Member Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    The role of religion in the dynamic of slavery is a two edged blade. The Bible was quoted in support of slavery before the American Civil War. But John Brown, H.D. Thoreau and the Abolitionists invoked the principles of religion against the practice.

Drug addiction is a form of slavery. In modern times, hooking an unwilling prostitute and becoming her provider is way (at least according to Hollywood) to keep her under control. Sounds expensive and also harmful to the goods. Abduction to an unfamiliar land may be cheaper. But I don’t think drugs nor abduction is the most potent tool of slavery (though abduction to a strange land certainly proved potent).

Stupid people have been known to own very intelligent slaves. Greek slaves were common among the Roman citizenry and “employed” as teachers, doctors, scribes and readers. So I don't think education or the lack of is the most potent tool.

Violence, I think is the ever present tool of slavery. Working for the benefit of another against one’s will is one that does violence against the slave’s freedom and identity, and it can hardly be enforced without physical violence or a threat thereof.

But I don’t think any of these is the MOST potent tool of slavery. Slavery as any other form of oppression requires that those who enjoy the advantages of the the institution believe that they deserve the services they gain. They and their society generally believe the place of the inferior is in service of the superior. The notion of “superiority” differs from place to place and time to time. In prior centuries American slave owners believed in their own moral and mental superiority. Today slave owners, and sweat shop owners may pretend to a superiority based a libertarian style survival of the meanest. The most potent tool is a true belief in the superiority of the man on top, the belief that they deserve the gains and the man or woman on bottom deserves little or nothing, and finally the belief that slavery (in one form or another) is an economic necessity.
    All slavery was not created equal. Why do you think the idea of "superiority" exists in slaves, in some human beings but not all? That is right, they are uneducated. Education is the only weapon you will ever be able to wield endlessly. Religion, violence, superiority, the lack of identity. These are all results of being uneducated. Look at the American public schools, the hispanic schools get the second hand me downs, the black schools get the third hand me downs. Nobody wants to teach in inner-city schools, the black community is being conditioned to hate education. Why? Education is the only thing that will set all impoverished communities free, yet the impoverished can't help but shame each other for trying to remove themselves from the very situation they all hate.

Senior Member Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by goatman View Post
    I think it's important to point out that while all the afore mentioned tools were indeed powerful & potent, none of them alone or in tandem was ultimately successful (as slavery itself was doomed to failure though it took 400 years to kill [overall] in this hemisphere[Western]). Many of these tools were, in fact, double-edged and caused as much harm to the majority/master-class as to the enslaved. The poor white[so called "trash"] was often as uneducated as the slaves themselves & held in a worse system of degradation because of the reliance on forced-labor-for profit in both agriculture & trades. Violence could just as easily be utilized by the oppressed as a weapon( see the numerous revolts in Hait, Jamaica, and the other islands as well as the Gabriel Prosser, Denemark Prossey & Nat Turner rebellions in our own country.) It was often said that no slave owner slept soundly. As to religion, once our people embraced Christianity, we used it as a weapon of resistance against our oppressor; often the story of the Exodus & the loving, emancipating embrace of a Savior in a world beyond the immediate mortal/material plane was used to show the hypocrisy of "masters" willing to defy the rule of "love thy neighbor as thyself" for comfort & profit.Religion became a means to resist. & of course the Church became the bedrock of the Black Community(as would be clearly evident in the post-Emancipation Jim Crow years, the Great Migration North & the Civil Rights Struggle.)
    News flash pal, you're still a slave. Do you have debt? You're a slave. The #1 debt in the United States now is student loans. You have no idea of what slavery is and what forms it exists in...you will never be free.

Quote Originally Posted by algebra1900 View Post
    All slavery was not created equal. Why do you think the idea of "superiority" exists in slaves, in some human beings but not all? That is right, they are uneducated. Education is the only weapon you will ever be able to wield endlessly. Religion, violence, superiority, the lack of identity. These are all results of being uneducated. Look at the American public schools, the hispanic schools get the second hand me downs, the black schools get the third hand me downs. Nobody wants to teach in inner-city schools, the black community is being conditioned to hate education. Why? Education is the only thing that will set all impoverished communities free, yet the impoverished can't help but shame each other for trying to remove themselves from the very situation they all hate.
    I agree. One issue I see in education, is that it is culturally biased. Youth outside of the dominant culture, often feel disenfranchised. One of the main purposes of education is to bring about critical thinking. Shakespeare's works are, often used for this purpose. I respect him, but I also believe the works and image of Beyonce could be used for critical analysis, as just one example. And it would have the double benefit of teaching youth to look beyond current media images, such as gangster rap. Many studies show that youth trained in music do better at math. Yet schools today are dropping music programs to concentrate on proficiency tests. Rather than broadening approaches to education, it is actually narrowing the focus, compared the education of my youth. This is actually excluding more youth, and returning the US to it's slave roots. It has been claimed more Black males are in jailed, or otherwise involved with the justice than were enslaved in 1850.

This discussion is much need today. Thanks all, for participating.

News flash pal, you're still a slave. Do you have debt? You're a slave. The #1 debt in the United States now is student loans. You have no idea of what slavery is and what forms it exists in...you will never be free.
    Yes the benefits of education to a productive society, have been sublimated to channeling money to the investment class.

Last edited by yodajazz; 01-02-2014 at 04:25 AM.

Senior Member Junior Poster goatman's Avatar

Actually, I'm not...[& I'm not just referring to that business with the 13th & 14th Amendments] I never went in for the whole "student loan" thing in college; I did one year at a private liberal-arts university in Va. on Mom & Dad[the remainder at a State College in Md. out of my own pocket a la working part-time] Haven't owned plastic in years, happily drive a Chevy Impala & follow the sage advice of Tyler Durden: no more "working jobs I hate to buy shit I don't need"[hawked to me incessantly by greedy marketeers like the ones I used to work for]...
    Yeah I spotted the trap long ago...