Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    GOD Emperor of Mankind Platinum Poster LibertyHarkness's Avatar

i still have a couple of my old male watches from when i worked in the city ..

Movado Vizio
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L10469802.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	321943  

Liberty Harkness
    "English Transsexual Model - Entertainer - Photographer "
    Twitter

Official Website

Tumblr
    My Webcam

Rookie Poster

Rado Ceramica (or any ceramic Rado)

I've been wearing this watch every day for about 10 years and it still looks brand new. The face is scrachproof saphire and the body and band is ceramic which is about 99% scratchproof. Digital alarms, timers, dual zone, etc. I shower and swim with it, never a problem. Only down side (not really) is you must take it to a Rado service center to get the battey changed and there are only 2 or 3 in the entire NY/NJ/CT area. Battery lasts 3-4 years.

They start at about $1800, but this watch can take some serious abuse and still look new. Unless you lose it or run it over with your car, you'll probably be buried with it, and it'll still look great (which is probably a lot better than you will)

Name:	rado-ceramica.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	321945  

I'm not much for jewelry and faddy gadgets (I was just today bemoaning the fact that many hotels no longer have pay phones in their lobbies, as I don't have a cell phone) so I haven't worn a watch in ages.

But drancy fess needs appropriate accessories, so I went shopping for a nice old railway watch and found a nice Hampden open-face pocket watch that was offered by a former Hampden employee on eBay.

Similar to the image below (But with a gold finish), it is a true work of art. Manufactured sometime around 1918-20 it has endured many decades of service. The works under the back cover are even more impressive, with finely turned interior plates and engraving from an age when the mechanics and craftsmanship were as much an item of pride as the finished work itself.

It's a delicate watch, and it is not waterproof or shock resistant. It was never intended to be tossed about or drowned. It's still tougher than one might expect. In the few short years that I have owned it I've bounced it on a ballroom floor in Toronto and banged its face against a stanchion ball on a San Francisco cable car and it soldiered on with only minor injuries. According to the license numbers etched in the back cover, it's only been serviced four times in its history. This is the kind of watch that has to go in hospital for a month of adjustments if it gets dropped. I've replaced the crystal twice, due to catastrophic circumstance, but have otherwise had extraordinary luck with it.

A couple of the gurls can attest to this: I love to show off this incredible piece of craftsmanship. I often take the back cover off so that people can see the workmanship that went into these tools of another century. It's fascinating to watch the wheels and gears do their dance. (Edit: I found a pic of a Hampden interior that is very close to my own in SN)

And on a quiet night, the tinny tinktinktink can be heard from across the room and helps me sleep.

Name:	HampdenWatch.gif 
Views:	77 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	321998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HampdenWorks.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	322003  

Last edited by BeardedOne; 06-13-2010 at 11:14 PM.
    "In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell