Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A $50 lesson

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by evilernie View Post
    I think those sentences means the same thing. As with anyone of your ilk, it's your way or no way. I like to call out bigotry when I see it. At least, "fags" have to courage to come out. Sooner than later, the bigots will not be ashamed to admit what they really are.
    Im sorry. Now Im pissed off.

Are you calling me a bigot because I dont believe in the liberal mentality of taking other peoples hard earned money(ie. MY MONEY) that could be better spent on MY FAMILY and giving it to someone else without even asking me?

You do whatever you want with YOUR money. Keep your hands off of mine.

Enjoy what you have today...for we know not what tomorrow holds

Quote Originally Posted by DaveinBoston View Post
    I recently asked my friends' little girl what she wants to be when she grows up. She said she wanted to be President some day. Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her, 'If you were President what would be the first thing you would do? '
    She replied, 'I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people.' Her parents beamed with pride.
    ‘'Wow...what a worthy goal.' I told her, 'But you don't have to wait until you're President to do that. You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and sweep my yard, and I'll pay you $50.
    Then I'll take you over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house.
    She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, ' Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50? '
    I said, 'Welcome to the Republican Party.'
    Her parents still aren't speaking to me.
    haha I enjoyed it

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassCat View Post
    I agree that we are wasting far too much money on "defense" and the wars that could be better spent but I think the majority of government expenditures are on entitlements and social welfare programs.
    The biggest entitlement, around a third of the budget or maybe more, is debt service. Anything that can be called an "emergency" goes off budget & on the credit card. Neither of our current wars of conquest was ever put on budget until last year. We've been in a constant state of heightened readiness, & buildup as a reaction to it, for decades. It's all off budget. If you add up all the hidden costs of dwelling on the war industry, you'll find that it's the single largest part of our debt.

The second biggest portion of our entitlement bill is Social Security & Medicare. But those are self funded. There's lots of talk about how they're going broke, but neither is in the red yet. The biggest fear is retirement of the baby boomers, but that's a temporary problem. The baby boom only lasted 10 years, & the retirements will only put a big burdon on the system for 20 or 30 years tops. As they die off, & we all will, it'll create a windfall because we will have already done things to bolster the system to deal with the boomer problem.

Very little of the budget goes to social welfare programs, unless you want to include Medicare & Social Security or things like unemployment insurance. But that really doesn't work as anything but ad hominem silliness. Most social welfare programs are designed to be temporary, & aren't entitlements. Of course we had the big stimulous, but the spending end of that goes away for the most part next year. Too bad really, because we need to keep up with the infrastructure.

As for the joke: It's just one of those spam emails that get forewarded around by the naive, senile, & internet newbies. If memory serves, my mother sent it to me in 2001 & several times since as if it was brand new. She's 85, so I cut her slack. You whipper-snappers should know better.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by DaveinBoston View Post
    Now Im pissed off.
    Good because that's what I am aiming for.