Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Volcano eruption in Iceland...

Wow!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6a00d8341bf8f353ef0133ecb5f57e970b.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	516.3 KB 
ID:	303462   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6a00d8341bf8f353ef0133ecb5fde8970b.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	303463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6a00d8341bf8f353ef01347fecf6b5970c-800wi.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	214.5 KB 
ID:	303464  

Silver Poster

Most European airports have been closed since thursday. A friend of mine is currently in New York, should´ve returned last friday but the flight was postponed.

Rookie Poster

The same farm as above but without the eruption...

Shecock Wanted

Yes, all the British airports have been closed apart from one or two flights - I think Glasgow airport was opened briefly. There was an item on Sky News with a group of schoolkids who had come back to the UK via Glasgow - from Iceland - where they were studying volcanos!

Veteran Poster

Wonder how long this is going to keep erupting and what the sum total effect it's going to have on worldwide weather patterns, especially Europe. One of the earlier ones from Iceland around the late 1700's killed off a lot of Europeans and livestock from the drifting sulphurous clouds and may have directly influenced the French Revoloution. Protracted long enough to start causing economic effects in Europe, this can be a real game changer with the current economic situation. It can also blow a hole in the current wisdom on climate change globally if enough dust makes into the upper regions of the atmosphere. Change may come in unexpected ways by the forces of nature rather then of men.

Professional Poster

Many Danish airline companies have already started asking the government for financial aid, since they are loosing millions a day when the flights have to stay on ground. But it seems the airports might open up tonight (European time).

So when's somebody gonna print a phonetic pronunciation of the name of this Volcano?

All I ever hear is "the volcano" or "this volcano" or "that volcano" or "the Iclandic volcano"... You'd think by now, somebody in media would have talked to the embassy or the Iceland Chamber of Commerce or something to find out how to say it.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

That big volcanic eruption in Iceland, aside from causing headaches for flyers worldwide, is giving Icelanders some laughs. Turns out that most everyone is mispronouncing the name of the glacier in question, Eyjafjallajokull. We're not even gonna try. [Newser] http://www.newser.com/story/86332/ic...llajokull.html

Last edited by thx1138; 04-19-2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: duh!
    If I got a dime every time I read an ad with purloined photos I could retire right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjS0AbRpAo Andenzi, izimvo zakho ziyaba.

I hope all this ground shaking doesn't awake Bobby Fischer from the dead.

If I got a dime every time I read an ad with purloined photos I could retire right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjS0AbRpAo Andenzi, izimvo zakho ziyaba.