Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Good points, LG. However, while the Des Moines Register article is about a specific case rather than the Day of Rembrance in general, it does mention it:

"Transgender activists in Kansas City said they don't believe Juanda, who appeared to be a happy person, killed herself. Her death will be a focal point of services Sunday during Transgender Day of Remembrance, an event that memorializes transgender people who were killed because of hatred or prejudice."

Which is pretty impressive for a paper from the American heartland. I really expected some mention in the Boston Globe, but they let me down.

Rookie Poster

I am a coward. And I have no intention of putting my real name on any written communique such as what I am about to recommend. But for those in this forum who do not fear community backlash, here is what you can do...

Write letters. Yes it sounds weak. But, if you write letters to all of the national papers and in each letter to the editor, include the story of a person from the remembrance list who was killed simply for being different from some else's perception of normal. Remind the editor that each of us, in some way, is diferent from what someone perceives as normal. Then do this again. And again. And if you do this, everyday starting from Nov 1, all the way to Nov 20, hopefully your letters will find enough of an ear that at least one would be published. But since it's too late for this year, maybe a few letters covering some of the activities would prepare them for the onslaught of letters next year.

The only way something like this would be publicized is if "normal" people knew there were enough people, or at least some people in their community gave a damn. And to do that, someone must let them know.

But as stated ealier. I am a coward. And I will not be doing this.

Ava what? Why yes, I do have a car.

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

Just bumping this thread as a reminder.

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.