Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum Poster

Default "Toward The End Of A Nearly Century-Long Struggle"

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama has hailed Senate passage of an historic health care bill, saying the government is now "finally poised to deliver on the promise" of overhauling a troubled system.

Speaking not long after the Senate passed the $871 billion bill by a 60-39 vote, Obama welcomed the vote as bringing America "toward the end of a nearly century-long struggle." He said presidents since Theodore Roosevelt in 1912 have been trying unsuccessfully to overhaul medical care.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_402881.html

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Veteran Poster

About time!

Onwards and upwards...

Junior Poster

It will seal the fate for many of these Dems come 2010.

The majority of Americans do NOT want this travesty and will vote accordingly.

Hell, portions of this so-called bill aren't even Constitutional.

Junior Poster

Funny how he said presidents have been trying to over haul the health care system while the only thing President Obama has done is just give speeches on the subject while the Congress have made a bill that gives perks to Dems who held out. President Obama have failed those who wanted health care by just giving up on the subject and letting Congress who never get anything right deal with the subject.

I don't think I've had enough to drink for this conversation.

Just because I'm telling you this story doesn't mean that I'm alive at the end of it.

Junior Poster

Yeah it's funny how Obama has managed to piss off both sides. Lefty progressives are pissed because Obama caved in on the public option and all conservatives and moderates are pissed off period.

And then there are those who are pissed at the way Pelosi and Reid went about getting the votes with payoffs, bribes, and closed door meetings. So much for Obama's "transparent government" - just a big lie. At least it's likely that the asshole Reid will likely lose reelection.

So, all this hoopla and they didn't even get what they wanted. This will galvanize the opposition.

Platinum Poster

No undermining this achievement
    Eugene Robinson
    Washington Post

When all is said and done – and, yes, there is a bit more saying and doing to endure, which means anything can happen – the health care reform legislation that President Barack Obama now seems likely to sign into law, while an unlovely mess, will be remembered as a landmark accomplishment.The bill making its way through the Senate by the slimmest of margins is imperfect, to say the least. But before listing its many flaws, let's consider the measure's one great virtue:

For the first time, we will enshrine the principle that all Americans deserve access to medical care regardless of their ability to pay. No longer will it be the policy and practice of our nation to ration health according to wealth.

When you blow away all the smoke, that's what this fight is about.

The Senate bill lacks a public health insurance option, the House bill is burdened by gratuitous abortion restrictions and the final product of a House-Senate conference will probably have both those failings. But once the idea of universal health care is signed into law, it will be all but impossible to erase. Over time, that idea will be made into reality.

The loose ends are so many and varied, in fact, that it will probably be necessary to revisit the health care issue sooner rather than later. Even if it takes years to get it right, eventually is better than never. History suggests that major new social initiatives have to be perfected over time – and that basic entitlements, once established, are rarely taken away.

Progressives who argue for killing the Senate bill and starting over should explain their position to the 30 million Americans without health insurance who would be covered under this insufficiently progressive legislation. They should recall that when Obama and the Democratic leadership in Congress began this crusade, public opinion was solidly in favor of reform.

With polls now showing widespread wariness, with Republicans having confused and frightened many voters who already have adequate health insurance, why would anyone think that beginning from scratch is likely to produce a more progressive result?

Is it ridiculous that the Senate bill essentially bribes Sen. Ben Nelson with special Medicaid reimbursements for Nebraska alone? Yes. Is it galling that the public option and the idea of a Medicare buy-in fell victim to Sen. Joe Lieberman's whims? Supremely so. But our eyes should be kept on the prize.

The bill has been described as a gift to the health insurance companies since it provides them with 30 million new customers and no competition from a public plan. I don't believe it's a coincidence that the stock prices of health insurers are soaring. But I also don't believe the main point of this exercise was to stick it to the insurance companies, however satisfying that might be.

While the reform package nearing completion bends the curve of rising health care costs, more bending is going to be needed. Ultimately, we're going to have to take a more fundamental look at how the health industry is structured.

So this isn't the end of a process that leads to a rational, sustainable, more efficient health care system. It's the beginning. But when a reform bill passes, as now seems likely, Obama and congressional leaders will have achieved a goal that progressives have sought for decades. They will have established that quality health care should be for all, not just for those who can afford it.

We have a system now in which Americans go bankrupt trying to pay doctors and hospitals to keep them alive. When you have the opportunity to change this, you take it – even if it means winning ugly.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Let's see..
    *Millions of uninsured young healthy Americans will be required to purchase health insurance

*There will be no government option to compete with the for- profit private carriers

*Insurance companies cannot deny a policy for pre-existing conditions but are essentially free to charge whatever premium they feel appropriate depending on the disease

*Older customers will pay 3 times the premiums younger workers will pay

*There is no expansion of Medicare for citizens under 65 who have lost their group coverage because of lay offs and have exhausted their COBRA

quite a victory for the insurance companies. It's something a CIGNA exec would have written

Junior Poster

yeah so why are so many Dems so ecstatic? Is it just because so many got bribe money?

i really was hoping that the far left would force them to include a public option.

that way the whole thing would have went down in flames.

New York is doomed....Schumer and Gillibrand are useless , self-serving garbage.