Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Professional Poster

Default Buy Nissan @ your own risk!

The Nissan Altima, admittedly a nice looking car, is a piece of crap. I have a friend with a 2004 2.5 and it won't pass state inspection and the engine is about to blow. The car was manufactured with a defective catalytic converter that comes apart and gets sucked into the engine and causes engine damage. Nissan knew this yet still produce this lemon for at least 5 years. The part has just recently been changed. Apparently it only affects the 2.5, but considering the total "fuck you" attitude Nissan shows on this matter, I personally wouldn't buy shit from them.
    If you own an Altima 2.5 and it's using alot if oil and water, you should prolly sell it while you can. Just a friendly psa!

"I don't see it that way. I see it as a complete and total betrayal of my testicles!"

Professional Poster tommymageeshemales2's Avatar

Noted, do not buy shit from Nissan. Only buy Toyota or Mitsubishi manufactured faeces.

Professional Poster

Everybody makes shit from time to time, but to continue to sell a piece if shit for 5 yrs with the same major defect is just fucked up. Then they make YOU pay to prove you have the damage only to say "yeah, we're not gonna do anything about that". Assholes. But they'll get theres. Wait and see.

"I don't see it that way. I see it as a complete and total betrayal of my testicles!"

Professional Poster tommymageeshemales2's Avatar

Too right. And you feed it to them too. With a greasy spoon.

Junior Poster

While I agree with not buying Nissan, I think you have your facts wrong. I used to be a Nissan/Infiniti grease monkey, and their product is overrated, but not at all substandard.
    And while catalytic converters do sometimes go bad, it is impossible for parts to 'get sucked into the engine'. The converter is part of the exhaust system, well past whatever is happening in the engine, and it does not recirculate. So any mechanic who claims that pieces from it are harming the engine are either lying or incompetent.
    Now, having said that, a clogged/defective converter can cause the engine to run poorly, due to inefficiency and poor flow, which can trigger several fault codes and a noticeable loss in performance.
    Hope this helps some...it's just frustrating to see people suffer from bad information, and head off in a wrong direction

Je suis Scottish Santa

5 Star Poster

Excelente thread, an alert, here, Nissan has a factory and produces four different types of vehicles:

- frontier.
    - livina
    - livina x-gear
    - gran livina

and i'll search about the problems you told, happens here.

Last edited by praetor; 02-02-2011 at 01:10 PM.

5 Star Poster

Last edited by praetor; 02-02-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by StaggerLee
    While I agree with not buying Nissan, I think you have your facts wrong. I used to be a Nissan/Infiniti grease monkey, and their product is overrated, but not at all substandard.
    And while catalytic converters do sometimes go bad, it is impossible for parts to 'get sucked into the engine'. The converter is part of the exhaust system, well past whatever is happening in the engine, and it does not recirculate. So any mechanic who claims that pieces from it are harming the engine are either lying or incompetent.
    Now, having said that, a clogged/defective converter can cause the engine to run poorly, due to inefficiency and poor flow, which can trigger several fault codes and a noticeable loss in performance.
    Hope this helps some...it's just frustrating to see people suffer from bad information, and head off in a wrong direction
    With all due respect Mr Grease Monkey, my facts are not wrong. I know where a cat-con is and what it does. It made little sense to me to, but a little research will show this to be true. I've even read somewhere how particles get sucked in the exhaust, but since I'm on my iPhone finding that on the web would be a bitch. It's irrelevant anyway. The fact is that the cat (technically it's the pre-cat) is a piece of shit and it is causing engine damage. Go to Nissan and talk to someone above grease monkey level and they will tell you so!
    The first code my friend got was for ox sensor. When I removed the sensor it was sheared off. I took it to O'reiilly and the guy looked at it and said "You've got engine damage. Your catalytic converter is coming apart, that's what ruined this sensor. I know. I used to work at Nissan"
    Then the car started coding for the cat, which is a dealer item only, but until recently, even if you replaced it you were gonna get the same defective pos because the assholes never changed the part.
    I'm just trying to help other people so if youre not gonna be helpful please stfu, because YOUR ignorance is not helpful. Go buy one and see what happens!

Junior Poster

Yeah, Nissan is not as good as it used to be ever since they moved some of their factories to America. Some of its models are actually manufactured in the states (Altima is assembled in Tennessee) so knowing all our pathetic labor unions you can expect poor quality. All the Altimas and Maximas you see today are basically American pos's under a Japanese badge.

However Nissan still has a few top buys like the 350z / 370z and all Infiniti line ups, which are all manufactured and assembled straight from Japan, robots and all, and as seen from their superb reviews you can expect quality and reliability.

My friends 95 300zx is probably one of the most reliable and awesome cars in the world and the tt engine is still running strong without so much as a hitch.

Professional Poster

As I would've theorized, the problem stems from the fact that the 2.5 powerplant has a small valve overlap, so the exhaust valves are still open briefly during the intake stroke... That's how an exhaust can suck (literally)! And that's prolly why the 6 banger doesn't have this problem.
    I thought I wanted a Z or the Infiniti equivalent, but this kinda turned me off. If you think about it, you don't see alotta older Nissans!