Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Junior Poster

bogus "sport"

Quote Originally Posted by vman2375
    bogus "sport"
    the only thing bogus is your comment.......

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Caff_Racer
    I have yet to grasp the entertainment value of watching two individuals punching each other in the head. And why do people pay good money to watch it? They can see the same pathetic spectacle for free on Friday and Saturday nights when chavs take swings at each other outside pubs and in nightclub carparks.
    Go to a boxing, kickboxing gym. Go to a brazilian jiu jitsu, or judo class.

You got a bad taste from all tha wannabes that wear tap out shirts, that lift alot of weights, but cant run for shit, who acts all macho in clubs and bars because they watch UFC.

None of us are like that, trust me. Most people who train in martial arts are very humble.

Once you train you would be able to see what is skilled in a ring or cage fight. My point is that you would be able to understand it and enjoy it.

Junior Poster

I think UFC is a bad promotion of the sport of mixed martial arts. MMA

JINNOGO: I have no intention of "training" as you put it: I'm almost 40! It would be the best way of croaking from a heart attack! Plus the fact that my body has taken enough battering from almost 19 years of motorcycling (and I'm not referring to poncing around on "Hardley Ablesons") and that I have no desire to be punched in the head by some wannabe Mike Tyson...

Fork 'andles

Junior Poster

Sorry, but mixed martial arts is SO GAY! Once they take it to the ground, they look like they are fucking each other. Even the language of the announcers is TOTALLY GAY! It's hilarious, like "He's mounted him!!!"

I remember reading a Salon or Slate article about the sport trying to say that it wasn't as brutal as it looked and even they said that the ground game looks like two men having sex.

Also while it has some entertainment value, I just can't get over the sloppiness of the standup game. Compared to boxing, they just look so sloppy and slow. I realize this has something to do with defending against the takedown while striking, but dag, it's certainly nothing like the "sweet science" of boxing. Even the kicking game looks lame compared to kick boxing and other Asian martial arts.

I always wonder if Bruce Lee were alive and in his prime would he be able to kick all these guys' asses simply on the strike game?

Quote Originally Posted by JINNOGO
    Quote Originally Posted by Caff_Racer
    I have yet to grasp the entertainment value of watching two individuals punching each other in the head. And why do people pay good money to watch it? They can see the same pathetic spectacle for free on Friday and Saturday nights when chavs take swings at each other outside pubs and in nightclub carparks.
    Go to a boxing, kickboxing gym. Go to a brazilian jiu jitsu, or judo class.

You got a bad taste from all tha wannabes that wear tap out shirts, that lift alot of weights, but cant run for shit, who acts all macho in clubs and bars because they watch UFC.

None of us are like that, trust me. Most people who train in martial arts are very humble.

Once you train you would be able to see what is skilled in a ring or cage fight. My point is that you would be able to understand it and enjoy it.
    you are right on this..and it takes a lot of work to be skilled....

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by EdelweissFan
    Sorry, but mixed martial arts is SO GAY! Once they take it to the ground, they look like they are fucking each other. Even the language of the announcers is TOTALLY GAY! It's hilarious, like "He's mounted him!!!"

I remember reading a Salon or Slate article about the sport trying to say that it wasn't as brutal as it looked and even they said that the ground game looks like two men having sex.

Also while it has some entertainment value, I just can't get over the sloppiness of the standup game. Compared to boxing, they just look so sloppy and slow. I realize this has something to do with defending against the takedown while striking, but dag, it's certainly nothing like the "sweet science" of boxing. Even the kicking game looks lame compared to kick boxing and other Asian martial arts.

I always wonder if Bruce Lee were alive and in his prime would he be able to kick all these guys' asses simply on the strike game?
    No the sloppy stand up if from ground fighters trying to stand up.
    There are K1 kickboxing fighters fighting in MMA, so it depends on the fighter who you are watching.

People who comment on ground fighting looking gay just dont understand whats going on. For example you see two guy rolling around on the ground, but I see over a 2 dozen close calls of finish moves.

Like are not 90 percent of fights go to the ground. If you dont like the ground part, then you just dont like fighting.

Bruce Lee is more mythologic then legend, due to all of the exploitation from hollywood. Sad but true

People who say grappling is gay have issues with there own sexuality, let a Jiu Jitsu or Judo guy get you on the ground and you will find out how gay it is when you are taking you last breath..

Quote Originally Posted by JINNOGO
    Bruce Lee is more mythologic then legend, due to all of the exploitation from hollywood. Sad but true
    You need to go back and re-learn MMA...Bruce Lee and his Jeet Kun Do is the father of MMA...

And yes in the same weight class,in a standup match he would clean house