Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Default Why Did Vampires Have To Become So Lame???

WHEN VAMPIRES WERE EVIL

MODERN DAY LIMP WRISTED VAMPIRES

Silver Poster

"Interview with the Vampire" is not an appropriate example. It´s a good novel adaptation and not about "bad" or "evil". Stuff like Blade, Van Helsing or underworld sucks ass.

Default Re: Why Did Vampires Have To Become So Lame???

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet
    WHEN VAMPIRES WERE EVIL

MODERN DAY LIMP WRISTED VAMPIRES

At least somebody fucking gets it.

Vampires do not sparkle. Vampire movies aren't supposed to have prepubescent girls as their target audience. Characters from vampire movies aren't supposed to be sold as dolls for girls to play with.

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

It's just a different way of telling the same story, really... or, in Twilight's case, a slightly different story. I wouldn't say they've become lame, they've just adapted to today's societal norms, tendencies and fears... which aren't at all the same as they were when the vampires of yesterday were being written. Take a look at the "reboot" movies... the Batman flicks, Star Trek, Superman Returns... all of them are essentially telling the same stories as the films before them did, just in a different way. The same idea applies here. Just because YOU see them as lame doesn't mean everyone else should have to.

Inventor of the Zapata Tube.

Veteran Poster

Yes, I'm glad somebody said it. I'm sick of vampires, and werewolves as sympathetic figures. They are supposed to scare the shit out of you and be fuckin' bad ass! Robert Pattison probably farts glitter.

Every moment of one's existence one is growing into more or retreating into less.—Norman Mailer

5 Star Poster

brian lumley writes a good vampire novel

live with honour

Quote Originally Posted by BrassVillanueva
    It's just a different way of telling the same story, really... or, in Twilight's case, a slightly different story.
    Slightly? What's your definition of extremely?

Just because twilight has characters that are supposed to be vampires doesn't mean it's the same (or, "slightly different") story as the classics in that genre.

they've just adapted to today's societal norms, tendencies and fears...
    Interesting proposition. So the reason why twilight's dramatis personae is an effeminate early pubescent boy who sparkles when exposed to sunlight is because, in our society, ...that would be frightening?

Or is it that the frightening part of twilight is the fact that it's so successful? I could get on board with that.

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

Quote Originally Posted by BrassVillanueva
    It's just a different way of telling the same story, really... or, in Twilight's case, a slightly different story. I wouldn't say they've become lame, they've just adapted to today's societal norms, tendencies and fears... which aren't at all the same as they were when the vampires of yesterday were being written. Take a look at the "reboot" movies... the Batman flicks, Star Trek, Superman Returns... all of them are essentially telling the same stories as the films before them did, just in a different way. The same idea applies here. Just because YOU see them as lame doesn't mean everyone else should have to.
    Old vampire movies were supposed to make you scream in terror. Modern ones make little girls scream because they're in love with the vampire. I remember having my dad tell me how scared people were in the theater when they saw Bela Lugosi. I also heard stories about people getting freaked out by Christopher Lee in Horror Of Dracula. Both Nosferatu movies are still creepy even to this day.

I'd worry more about today's vampires teaching my son how to apply eye liner that influencing him go to the dark side.

Veteran Poster

The really bad news is that the Twilight movies are a tool to try and propogate abstinance. Think about that. In a word, LAME!

Every moment of one's existence one is growing into more or retreating into less.—Norman Mailer

Quote Originally Posted by raybbaby
    Yes, I'm glad somebody said it. I'm sick of vampires, and werewolves as sympathetic figures. They are supposed to scare the shit out of you and be fuckin' bad ass! Robert Pattison probably farts glitter.
    As far as Werewolves, Lon Chaney Jr and Oliver Reed were somewhat sympathetic but also badass. Paul Naschy followed the Universal Horror formula too.