Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junior Poster

Default Boss at work hates me wtf

I work as a cook in a restaurant and we got a new manager recently. Typical ruthless egotistical businessman. Bleh, I don't care but lately he has been blaming me for everything. Even stuff the servers did, even orders taking a long time on a station I have nothing to do with! Now I heard he wants me off the line and working prep the next time I'm in.

Now I'm going to school for a different career but I take my job very seriously and up until now I also had a lot of fun at work. I get along with everyone, I even got the highest mark on the employee review thing. I have no idea why this guy is always on my ass but it's really starting to get to me. The weird part is, he never talks to me at all. He just yells at other people for letting me screw things up. I started freaking out, sometimes during a rush. I'll throw things or go to the back and yell/swear a lot. I think it's my pent up anger.

It's a tricky situation and I don't really know what to do. I want to know why he's like this. A coworker said he's probably a racist or really loves to scapegoat. I can't confront him or even ignore him since he's my boss. Fuck, I used to be a happy guy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	calvin_hobbes_nature1_587.jpg 
Views:	808 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	282398  

This nothing new. For whatever reason, you've been singled out by this guy. You should realize, if he's not an owner, he's just another swinging cock like you. In fact, managing a restaurant is even lower on the totem pole than cook. Consider the hours this asshole is putting in and then consider what you make. Like most people, you probably feel you deserve a higher rate and most likely, because you do. Now consider how much your boss makes. He's not cool for a reason. It's a shitty business and I'm speaking from experience. I know that's not quite satisfying consolation but at least you can know, this dick is just as vulnerable as you. However, he may be badmouthing you to his immediate superiors so prepare. Either look for another job or seek solidarity among your co-workers. You may want to remind them what a drag it would be to have to work with someone who will need to learn the menu ect. Most important for now is stay cool. There's no reason you should be throwing shit and if I can deduce anything from your post is that you're smart enough and savvy enough to know better. Why not come to work ready to turn it out? Focus and kick some ass. Dickhead won't have anything to say if you make sure he has nothing to beef about.
    Hang in there.

"That's what i thought you said."

Junior Poster

if you're just a line cook then everyone he complains to should know it's not your fault when other stations fuck up. If you never talk to the guy that's probably the reason it's just easier to hate and blame the guy you don't know or talk to for problems.

Best thing you can do is just try and talk to him regularly so he realizes you are a person and not a scapegoat for the kitchen.

Junior Poster

Remember the phrase "I was looking for a job when I got this one".

Suffer in silence, look for something better in the mean time.
    Come in on your last day, Make yourself a Kings feast, then walk up to the Boss and give him the "I dont have time for this Mickey Mouse bullshit" and wave goodbye!

This sounds a lot like my current situation. We had a management shift about a year and a half ago and in the last eight months or so I seem to have become the lightning rod for the new boss' frustrations in how the overall machine is running (Or not). I'm not the only one that's noticed it, either. A couple of supervisors and several employees have expressed curiosity as to why I suddenly became the favorite whipping boy when things start to fall apart.

I actually like the guy and have gotten on well with him most of the time, especially in past times when we worked in different offices. Yet in recent months he seems to have determined that I'm enemy #1 in the office (Though there are several clear cases of deeper, more malicious intent on the part of other workers he deals with).

One suggestion was that I'm the only one that doesn't bite back when he snaps at me. Two other guys that I work with have been in closed-door meetings with him where they essentially told him to go fuck himself. I'm more diplomatic than that and operate on the belief that the less I stir the shit, the sweeter smelling the jobsite will be. Granted, I'll still be knee deep in shit, I just won't smell it.

There's also the supposition that he thinks I'm a threat to his position in some way. It's recognized that I am as sharp or sharper than most of the management that I've encountered and, on more than one occasion, have been seriously considered for a promotion to the corner office (Which is a trick in the offices for which I was being considered as most were lucky if they had an attached rest room). What they historically fail to understand is the fact that, while I don't mind the work or the responsibility, I have little desire to be someone's boss and put up with the thankless hours of a management position (As mentioned above).

My situation is tight in that I am anxious to break free of it but am chained to it by union protections and generous health and retirement benefits. I don't have the luxury of being able to resign to get more stuff as I did in a previous position wherein I flat out walked out of the office four times in four years, only to be lured back with pay raises, vacation benefits, a shiny new Cadillac, etc. The key to those generous handouts being one, basic understanding:

No one is indispensable so you need to make yourself crucial, so that any day you take off becomes one of chaos in the operation.

Either the guy tunes into your role in the operation and adjusts a bit (In my case, I was about to transfer out of the office when they pulled a new position out of their ass in order to keep me in-house) or suffers the consequences when you walk out the door and no one can find or do anything because "X" always did that/knew that.

It's hard work (But usually works well for you, making the job easier) and there's nothing quite so soothing as the words from fellow employees when you walk in the door and they swoon "Thank gawd you're back! Uh...How was your vacation?".

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Junior Poster

speedstick wrote:
    I'm actually a transguy (ftm) but I'm nowhere near as in touch with my sexuality as buck angel. That guy will do anything, fuck anyone. I sometimes wonder if m being trans... ...
    I think this may be why. Just a guess. He might know and have a problem with you for that reason. I don't , just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Norma
    speedstick wrote:
    I'm actually a transguy (ftm) but I'm nowhere near as in touch with my sexuality as buck angel. That guy will do anything, fuck anyone. I sometimes wonder if m being trans... ...
    I think this may be why. Just a guess. He might know and have a problem with you for that reason. I don't , just so you know.
    OK, I missed that part, but if he does his job it's still not right for the boss to target him.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Junior Poster

It took 6 jobs (by age eighteen) for me to realise all managers are like this- jumped up little hitlers- and that i'd never amount to anything working for someone else. My last job was pretty much the worst. I was putting out some paint onto the shopfloor when the shelves on the adjacent row collapsed spilling paint. I got labelled 'disaster man' by the manager for this (it became his pet name for me), even though it was obvious I wasn't responsible for it. After this every single thing I did was criticised- I mean to a stupidly accurate degree. He even started claiming I'd done things I hadn't, such as smashing lights in the warehouse, ignoring instructions given by him and theft. Needless to say I walked. That Christmas I got myself a stall at the local market selling paintings, I made £2,600 profit in 9 days! I haven't worked for anyone else since.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedOne
    Quote Originally Posted by Norma
    speedstick wrote:
    OK, I missed that part, but if he does his job it's still not right for the boss to target him.
    Ihad thought about this. I'm pretty sure he doesn't know about it cos I don't tell anyone. If he did then he'd have had to look up my social security or something. That would explain why he's not talking to me. I am pretty worried because there's actually no one higher than him, he's the top dog at my store- unless you count head office. The funny part is, before he started hating me he gave me a raise (which I have yet to see)!

"Disaster man" , lol that is the worst. Don't understand why managers are like that when it's so counterproductive. I think I'd better start planning my exit at this point.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by cadcad
    if you're just a line cook then everyone he complains to should know it's not your fault when other stations fuck up. If you never talk to the guy that's probably the reason it's just easier to hate and blame the guy you don't know or talk to for problems.

Best thing you can do is just try and talk to him regularly so he realizes you are a person and not a scapegoat for the kitchen.
    Yeah my coworkers know it wasn't my fault. Most places I've worked at, however, just blame everyone for any particular fuckup because it's easier. I haven't thought that talking to him will do any good but actually maybe I'd better.