Default Husband killed Pa. gun advocate

Husband killed Pa. gun advocate during video chat
    By MARK SCOLFORO, Associated Press Writer Mark Scolforo, Associated Press Writer
    41 mins ago

LEBANON, Pa. – A soccer mom who was thrust into the national gun-rights debate after taking a loaded pistol to youth sports events was killed by her husband in a shooting witnessed online by her video chat partner, authorities said Friday.

Scott Hain used his own gun to fire several shots into his 30-year-old wife, Meleanie, while her video chat was active and perhaps as she washed dishes in their kitchen, police said. Scott Hain, 33, later killed himself in an upstairs bedroom.

Meleanie Hain's loaded pistol — with a bullet ready in the chamber — was in a backpack hanging from the front door.

The couple's three young children were home just before the murder-suicide, but authorities stopped short of saying they were home at the time. The online friend heard a shot and screams and turned to see Scott Hain firing, they said.

He "observed Scott Hain standing over where Meleanie was and discharging a handgun several times," Lebanon Police Chief Daniel Wright said at a news conference. The man, who was described as a friend of both Scott and Meleanie Hain, called 911.

"He kept open his Web cam episode; however, he heard nothing or saw nothing after that," Wright said. The chat was apparently not recorded.

Meleanie Hain became a voice of the gun-rights movement last year when she fought for the right to carry a holstered pistol at her young daughter's soccer games. Other parents complained, prompting a sheriff to revoke her concealed-weapons permit, a decision a judge later overturned.

"I'm just a soccer mom who has always openly carried (a firearm), and I've never had a problem before," Hain said last fall. "I don't understand why this is happening to me."

The Hains later sued the sheriff who had revoked her gun permit. The $1 million suit, which claims they suffered emotional distress and lost customers for her home baby-sitting service, remains pending against Lebanon County Sheriff Michael DeLeo.

Scott Hain, a parole officer, owned the 9 mm handgun used to kill his wife. He then killed himself with a shotgun, authorities said after Friday's autopsies. Police found several handguns, a shotgun, two rifles and several hundred rounds of ammunition in their Lebanon home, as well as six spent shell casings in the kitchen.

Friends and neighbors told police the couple had been having marital problems, but police knew of no immediate cause of the violence. Scott Hain was living at the family home at the time, Wright said.

Their three children are ages 2, 6 and 10.

Neighbor Aileen Fortna has said the children told another neighbor that "daddy shot mommy."

The judge who restored Meleanie Hain's concealed-weapon permit last year questioned her judgment and said she had "scared the devil" out of other parents at the soccer field.

"Oops!"

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedOne
    "Oops!"
    Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction too.

From "The Sayings of Lazarus Long":

Stupidity cannot be cured by education, legislation, or money.
    Stupidity is not a sin, because the victim cannot help being stupid.
    Stupidity is, however, the universal capital crime.
    Sentence is carried out automatically, & without pity.

Robert Heinlein

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Junior Poster

Default Re: Husband killed Pa. gun advocate

Quote Originally Posted by yodajazz
    Husband killed Pa. gun advocate during video chat
    By MARK SCOLFORO, Associated Press Writer Mark Scolforo, Associated Press Writer
    41 mins ago

LEBANON, Pa. – A soccer mom who was thrust into the national gun-rights debate after taking a loaded pistol to youth sports events was killed by her husband in a shooting witnessed online by her video chat partner, authorities said Friday.

Scott Hain used his own gun to fire several shots into his 30-year-old wife, Meleanie, while her video chat was active and perhaps as she washed dishes in their kitchen, police said. Scott Hain, 33, later killed himself in an upstairs bedroom.

Meleanie Hain's loaded pistol — with a bullet ready in the chamber — was in a backpack hanging from the front door.

The couple's three young children were home just before the murder-suicide, but authorities stopped short of saying they were home at the time. The online friend heard a shot and screams and turned to see Scott Hain firing, they said.

He "observed Scott Hain standing over where Meleanie was and discharging a handgun several times," Lebanon Police Chief Daniel Wright said at a news conference. The man, who was described as a friend of both Scott and Meleanie Hain, called 911.

"He kept open his Web cam episode; however, he heard nothing or saw nothing after that," Wright said. The chat was apparently not recorded.

Meleanie Hain became a voice of the gun-rights movement last year when she fought for the right to carry a holstered pistol at her young daughter's soccer games. Other parents complained, prompting a sheriff to revoke her concealed-weapons permit, a decision a judge later overturned.

"I'm just a soccer mom who has always openly carried (a firearm), and I've never had a problem before," Hain said last fall. "I don't understand why this is happening to me."

The Hains later sued the sheriff who had revoked her gun permit. The $1 million suit, which claims they suffered emotional distress and lost customers for her home baby-sitting service, remains pending against Lebanon County Sheriff Michael DeLeo.

Scott Hain, a parole officer, owned the 9 mm handgun used to kill his wife. He then killed himself with a shotgun, authorities said after Friday's autopsies. Police found several handguns, a shotgun, two rifles and several hundred rounds of ammunition in their Lebanon home, as well as six spent shell casings in the kitchen.

Friends and neighbors told police the couple had been having marital problems, but police knew of no immediate cause of the violence. Scott Hain was living at the family home at the time, Wright said.

Their three children are ages 2, 6 and 10.

Neighbor Aileen Fortna has said the children told another neighbor that "daddy shot mommy."

The judge who restored Meleanie Hain's concealed-weapon permit last year questioned her judgment and said she had "scared the devil" out of other parents at the soccer field.

Happiness is a warm gun - bang, bang, shoot, shoot!

Deaths attributed to HUMAN KILLERS who are using a gun is insignificant to the number of deaths attributed to HUMAN KILLERS who are using a car, who are using junk food, who are using tobacco, etc...

Of course the deaths attributed to HUMAN KILLERS who are using liberalism make all the others look like pikers. 50 million abortions in America.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Nice Christian response. And here I thought Christ taught that no life was insignificant. I can't wait til they complete that new conservative expurgated version of the Bible, you know, the one where they take out all the teachings that have a liberal leaning. I wonder, are you contributing to that q1a2z3?

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish
    Nice Christian response. And here I thought Christ taught that no life was insignificant. I can't wait til they complete that new conservative expurgated version of the Bible, you know, the one where they take out all the teachings that have a liberal leaning. I wonder, are you contributing to that q1a2z3?

Being a Christian does not mean being a doormat. My comment was in anticipation of those who would blame guns. The Bible is very conservative just the way it is.

Americans have the right to keep and bare arms. This sets us apart from the lackeys in Europe and elsewhere who get their rights from their tyrannical governments. The gun sales in America are threw the roof!

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Turn the other cheek.
    Love thy enemy.
    Happiness is a warm gun.

Yeah, I guess they all say about the same thing.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish
    Turn the other cheek.
    Love thy enemy.
    Happiness is a warm gun.

Yeah, I guess they all say about the same thing.
    Turn the other cheek to show your attacker you are stronger than they are.

Love your enemy, but don't let them make you a slave - are you listening obama?

Happiness is a warm gun. Chance favors a prepared mind. It also makes politicians think a long time about raising taxes.

It squawks the rote.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Quote Originally Posted by q1a2z3
    Happiness is a warm gun. Chance favors a prepared mind. It also makes politicians think a long time about raising taxes.
    "Prepared mind". To me the story of the original is really about that. She was carrying a gun around to places like high school games for protection. Just maybe her mind should have been somewhere else. Just maybe protection could have come from having good relationships with others. They will look out for you, for example. I bet that more people are killed by loved ones with guns in their home, than intruders killed by people protecting thier homes. Guns make it easy. But it's not really about guns, but a mindset on what is real danger in our lives.