Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Silver Poster

1. It's not up to Americans who should get the Nobel peace prize, so you guys can keep yakking. It doesn't make a lot of difference. In fact, it's not up to anyone else except these crazy Norwegians.
    2. How would you know how foreigners feel about Americans before and after Bush? Maybe it's a sigh of consensus relief that it's not another GOP that got the office.
    3. Personal tangible achievements. Perhaps we can't see it now. Do you guys realize what usually precipitates war, it's poverty. Maybe they think that Obama "single-handedly" brought us back from the brink of global catastrophe. Think back on how you felt a year ago.

In conclusion, perhaps we are just not seeing what they saw.

Junior Poster

I can't believe they didn't give it to Hugo Chavez

Junior Poster

I like Obama and I'm generally aligned with him politically, but I agree he didn't do enough to deserve a Nobel Peace Prize. On the other hand, I haven't been too impressed with the history of the Peace Prize, and it seems to be frequently controversial and politically divisive, and I'm not sure we can ascribe much meaning to it. The Nobel committee should stick to physics, chemistry, medicine, economics and the like.

Junior Poster

You tellin' me he needs to do *more?*

C'mon!

Quote Originally Posted by transmaven

You tellin' me he needs to do *more?*

C'mon!
    Well, considering that the cop was the one shown here helping Gates on the steps as they walked over to go drink with the President, I'd say the two were already in peace with each other. Relatively speaking anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cop_gates_416.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	276049  

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

Junior Poster

He just wont the heisman today!!! hip hip hoooray

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet
    First off, congratulations to President Barack Obama. This award doesn't so much elevate Obama but devalues the award even more now making it the level of an MTV Video Award. Maybe Kanye will interject himself somehow next year.
    Hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by SarahG
    He was nominated two weeks into his presidency.

TWO FUCKING WEEKS.

Give him a chance to do something first, damnit.
    Yeah but people like the promise of what the package represents. So if he is skinny, charismatic and attractive it must mean he's serious about not liking the bomb. Also, undoubtedly, some want to honor the first black president.

I think the Nobel Committee's criteria are a bit nuts but they must go something like this...

"DARKER-HUED PRESIDENTIAL BEAUTIES ALTHOUGH LIGHTER HUES NOT EXCLUDED."

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Rogers
    Quote Originally Posted by timxxx
    For what ?
    A few things another Nobel Prize Winner once said:

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe."

"Nine tenths of education is encouragement."
    Really... so you think I could encourage someone to become the next Einstein?

I bet that person that said "To accomplish...."... actually accomplished something before he got the award... not before. The world is full of dreamers. Do they all deserve the Nobel Prize?

Awards are given for accomplishments.... not promise to accomplish something

Enjoy what you have today...for we know not what tomorrow holds

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belial
    Yasir Arafat got the peace prize in 1994. That shows you how credible, distinguished, and relevant, this booby prize is.
    This is only half true. Arafat shared the 94 prize with Yitzhak Rabin and Shimon Peres. It was for their "efforts" to create peace in the Middle East and also to provide them with a modicum of leverage toward furthering their efforts. The three were in fact to some extent somewhat successful, as I'm sure you'll remember that they were probably never closer to signing an accord, then they were in the mid nineties. The peace prize almost always awarded in the hope of engendering the progress of peace. Sometimes it works. Often it doesn't.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.