Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Maybe Fisher can turn around the Owls

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...eams/page/RICE

Junior Poster

WOW. If the Titans were stupid enough to fire Fisher, there will be about two dozen teams who'll gladly hire him. Over the past 10 years, he's taken teams to the playoffs 6 times. Only 2 teams have been there more (Indy & Philly).

God damn, he's only 6 games removed from a 13 win season and you guys think "the game has past him by"? Vince Young sucks and would be the worst QB in the league not named Jamarcus. He's got 11 more INTs than passing TDs in his career and 25 fumbles in only 29 starts. There's a reason why Fisher was forced to switch to Collins. He's barely average but compared to Young, he's an All-Pro.

Thats exactly the problem with the NFL
    Burnt out coaches getting endless chances to continually fail.
    How many more chances will Norv get?

There are so many young, innovative head coaches on the college level. It's pathetic to see the old boys club mentality among NFL team owners

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody
    Thats exactly the problem with the NFL
    Burnt out coaches getting endless chances to continually fail.
    How many more chances will Norv get?

There are so many young, innovative head coaches on the college level. It's pathetic to see the old boys club mentality among NFL team owners
    Are you saying that Fisher is one of the burnouts? He has made the playoffs the last 2 years and all of a sudden he's done? All because of a bad 6 game stretch?

Were you one of the guys calling for Bill Cowher's head in 2003 when the Steelers went 6-10? He followed that up with a 15-1 season and a Super Bowl win after the 2005 season. I remember vividly the cries of the dumbasses looking to fire him that year. They were saying much the same things too. "The game has passed him by" , "He's only good enough to get to the playoffs" , "He's a burnout" , etc, etc, etc.

EVERYBODY has bad years. It's such a short season and many games come down to a play or two and random bad luck plays a huge factor. BTW, I agree with both Turners being garbage. Norv is a good offensive coordinator but completely useless as a head coach. I've hated his brother Ron since the Bears lost the Super Bowl. But that's a subject for another time.

For me, it's way, way, way, way too early to tell if Fisher has truly "lost it". Plus I think the sustained excellence his teams have shown over the last 15 years give him at least ONE season of slack. It's that knee-jerk, gut reaction (over-reaction) that gets teams (and countries) in trouble. Football is a cyclical game. Nobody has a winning record every year. Nobody makes the playoffs every year. Short term thinking like wanting to fire a coach after 6 games is the micromanagement at its worst. I would LOVE to have Fisher coaching the Bears.

Finally, just look at the killer schedule they've had to play so far. Indy (6-0), NE (5-2), Pitt (5-2), Hou (4-3), NYJ (4-3) & Jax (3-3). No losing teams and 4 fricking road games and you know how hard it is to win on the road in the NFL, right? They don't get to play any cupcakes until week 14 too. Well, the Niners might be coming back to earth but they could be turning it around. Miami is 2-4 but is playing better than their record indicates. They could very well end up with only 2 or 3 wins this year and it wouldn't change my opinion one iota.

PS. Don't underestimate how bad the Titans miss Haynesworth. That was a huge loss and someone that can't be easily replaced.