Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Is feminism genetic racism

The Big Lebowski is About (Metaphorical) Castration

...According to Rob Ager's film analysis, this Coen Brothers caper about White Russians and bowling also dabbles heavily in "the decline of the masculine male" ... or, you know, "castration." Say, remember the giant scissors in the Dude's trippy dream?

That's such a recurrent image because all the male characters in this movie have been castrated, in a way. Walter (John Goodman), for example, despite his zeal for firearms and militarism, is still a servant to an ex-wife who has clearly moved on from their failed marriage all the way to Honolulu. Not only is Walter wholeheartedly dedicated to this pathetic role, but any evidence of the contrary -- i.e., his Catholicism -- terrifies him.

That's why he treats his ex's dog better than anyone treats Donny.
    The "Big" Lebowski, meanwhile, who clearly likes to present himself as the most powerful man in the movie, is literally powerless from the waist down. He's married to a trophy wife he can't control, is living off an allowance provided by his daughter Maude, and even his prior wife appears to have been the true wealth and power behind the Lebowski fortune. In the original screenplay, his last words after Walter drops him on the floor are "You bullies! You and these women! You won't leave a man his fucking balls!"

Another deleted line had him complimenting Walter's surprisingly shapely legs.
    The rest of the men in the film helplessly squabble among themselves, trying to outdo each other's masculinity by urinating on each other's property, brandishing swords and pistols ... or literally threatening each other with castration. Meanwhile, others are so weak that they can prey only on the young and the helpless...

In contrast, the women in this film are so powerful that they control the entire story. Bunny's "kidnapping" sets motion to the entire plot, and Maude is the one who helps the Dude solve it. Whether they like it or not. In short, the women in The Big Lebowski are veritable goddesses ...

http://www.cracked.com/article_20497...#ixzz2XFczIRE6

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Good post on the Big Lebowski, Derek. I must admit the movie bored me a little and I didn't take the time to try to understand it. That's very interresting. And there's definitely a social trend there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulka_bewitched_me View Post
    Dan, I scold you not because I'm American but because I'm Canadian. I too believe in equality but IMHO I believe some of our maculinity has been taken away and we've been feminized. I've lost count on how many ads I've seen where the ads portray the male in the ad as a complete idiot (while the woman is portrayed as coming to the rescue or showing up the male). I'm sick of those ads. Here's the problem as I see it with a lot of todays women. It's not about equal partnership anymore. Women use sex or their "pussy" to control or even dominate a relationship.
    Yes, it's true, Sulka, you told me once that you were Canadian and I forgot. I apologize!
    Indeed, publicity in Canada, and in my point of view, especially in Quebec, has become completely crazy about this: total reversal of form, and definitely what they would call "positive discrimination" against men, who are always portrayed as stupid or inept. But women live like men, now, and have the same social rights. It was necessary to get there, and it's a good thing, not a bad one. You have to make your own choices in your personal life, and try to find someone who fills your expectations. There's still complementary relationships out there between men and women. But indeed today, we make the rules between us, we negotiate it, in a way, instead of conforming to old, paralyzing models.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

I have seen The Big Lebowski twice, and the only scene I can remember if when the 'Dude' gets thrown out of a taxi because he doesn't like The Eagles. There is a cynicism in the Coen Brothers films that I cannot always connect to, it is the factor that ruins A Serious Man, while a pervading sense of the ridicule of Scandinavian heritage Dakotans in Fargo falls flat. The only film I can watch more than once is Burn After Reading but that only comes in at 60%.

I don't understand the title of this thread or what its purpose is. There was a book published recently on the End of Men, but I don't think it attracted serious attention.
    The End of Men: And the Rise of Women: Amazon.co.uk: Hanna Rosin: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EM2faOuHL.@@AMEPARAM@@51EM2faOuHL

Meanwhile, the majority of women who are murdered are killed by someone they know, that is chilling enough for me; vide the Homicide Index:
    Female victims were more likely than male victims to have been acquainted with the principal suspect (78% and 57% respectively). Female victims were more likely than male victims to be killed by a partner or ex-partner (47% and 5% respectively) but less likely to be killed by a stranger (12 % compared with 27%)...
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...3/hosb0212.pdf

Senior Member 5 Star Poster Jamie French's Avatar

That people think gender is a team they play for is ridiculous enough not to engage with complainers on either side of the hetero normative man/women divide. True meaningful power is in the hands of the individual. If you feel your being slighted as a man, women or any variance of the two, do whatever it takes to fix your specific situation and stop worrying about your perceived tribe. There is no us and them there is only all of us.

2 out of 3 members liked this post.
    26 lifetime passes left to my site for my face surgery. Help out, gimme your email & I'll make it worth your while. https://life.indiegogo.com/fundraise...-surgery-funds

My @clips4sale store... updated every day for the next year and a half, starting... NOW. http://clips4sale.com/20182

http://deadgirlproductions.com/
    http://www.tsjamiefrench.com
    http://www.twitter.com/Jamie_French

Junior Poster Sulka_bewitched_me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie French View Post
    That people think gender is a team they play for is ridiculous enough not to engage with complainers on either side of the hetero normative man/women divide. True meaningful power is in the hands of the individual. If you feel your being slighted as a man, women or any variance of the two, do whatever it takes to fix your specific situation and stop worrying about your perceived tribe. There is no us and them there is only all of us.
    And now.........back to reality

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie French View Post
    Jamie I like you so much more after reading this post. You got a good head on your shoulders.

I loved The Big Lebowski. I think I've rewatched it too many times to count. It's really quotable.
    But I'm weird like that. I really liked Dumb and Dumber and Super Troopers as well.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

I watched The Big Lebowski innumerable times and absolutely loved it. Now I know why? Thanks for the enlightening post Derrick.

As to the question, "Is feminism genetic racism?" the answer is clearly "No". Every race has both males and females and everything in between. I assume the OP really wants to ask, "Is feminism sexism?" The answer is again clearly, No, though the question itself suggests a hint of sexism and a whimpering note 'reverse sexism'."

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Junior Poster

Yeah of course feminism is racism. Duh. They're so intertwined.

Lightbulb Re: Is feminism genetic racism

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    I watched The Big Lebowski innumerable times and absolutely loved it. Now I know why? Thanks for the enlightening post Derrick.
    As to the question, "Is feminism genetic racism?" the answer is clearly "No". Every race has both males and females and everything in between. I assume the OP really wants to ask, "Is feminism sexism?" The answer is again clearly, No, though the question itself suggests a hint of sexism and a whimpering note 'reverse sexism'."
    Yes, the question is formulated absurdly -surrealistic construction Breton would love. Of course, you're right, Trish; in fact it almost goes without saying, imo. But I think it would be much more interresting if it was revolving around the type of feminism...