Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
    Professional Poster

Default Greatest Takeover/Hijack of a song

Yes, I know some do not like a music topic on this type of forum. But there are some knowledgeable and passionate music lovers that are members, and I really respect their opinion, so I wish to discuss the following and hope I wont disappoint too many. Don't worry; my next topic will be about sex.

Last night I listened to Aretha Franklin's version of Respect. The song was written and originally recorded by Otis Redding. It was sung from a male's opinion of respect, had no bridge part, and Otis sang it like he, and men in general, are owed respect.

Miss Aretha’s version flipped the script, placed respect as a demand from and for women, adding a sexy and powerful bridge featuring her sister Carolyn. Musically, the musicians kept reinforcing this theme of woman’s empowerment with powerful accompaniments.

Otis, while recoding a live version of Respect, also noted the difference, saying Aretha just “took over his song".

Has there ever been a better takeover of a song recorded previously by another artist, or is my hypothesis is generally accepted?

Please post your opinions.

Veteran Poster

"I Love Rock and Roll", by Joan Jet, is only thought of as a Joan Jet song. I think it was originally done by the arrows. But Joan owns that now. "Do you wanna touch" is another one, originally done by Gary Glitter. Joan just owns it. "Hurt" originally done by NIN, becomes a different animal entirely when Johnny Cash got ahold of it. The "weight" Cash's voice give to it makes it nearly unrecognizable. The first time I heard it, I knew I recognized the lyrics immediately, but it took me a while to figure out where I'd heard it before. And there was a time when I listened to quite a bit of NIN. (we'll just call it a phase). That's definitely a take-over.

Every moment of one's existence one is growing into more or retreating into less.—Norman Mailer

hmm..good thread.

I like the Guns 'n' Roses version of "Knockin on Heaven's Door" better than the original recorded by Bob Dylan.

...but it's not really a hijack (complete takeover)..so I'll have to think on that some more.

Got one : "Breadfan" recorded by Metallica. It was originally performed by a band called Budgie....but it's basically Metallica's song now.

Veteran Poster

I like music threads so keep them coming, buckjohnson. One can only discuss cocks and 'gayness' so many times without it becoming redundant.

Some picks off the top of my head...

Hendrix's 'All Along the Watchtower'. I seem to enjoy Dylan's songs more. when they're sung by somebody else. (Aside from that awful Guns N' Roses cover of 'Knocking on Heaven's Door'. Sorry Fred)

'Heartbreak Hotel' as done by John Cale.

Type O' Negative's version of 'Summer Breeze'.

Siouxsie and the Banshees doing 'Helter Skelter'.

mmmmm beefy Platinum Poster rockabilly's Avatar

Love Hurts - Kim Deal and Robert Pollard
    I actualy prefer this version over the original by Nazareth.
    Kim Deals vocals are beautiful on the song and it just has a different feel to it. It's on the "Love and a .45" soundtrack ... good movie too btw.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Veteran Poster

I'm no fan of Oasis and I like Ryan Adams even less but Adams does a bang up job with Wonderwall.

I also think any song Nina Simone covered, she made her own.

Joe Strummers cover of Bob Marley's reddmption song is good , i love both versions.

Blue Monday is the first one to come to mind.

Seems people only ever know the Orgy version, or maybe I just think that because most people my age were being convinced when the original version by New Order was popular.

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

Convinced or Conceived? I can convince you of your conception but i can't conceive that you would need convincing.