Veteran Poster

Default Police make arrest in death of Houston trans woman

A man accused of injecting liquid silicone into the chest and buttocks of at least one transgendered woman was arrested Aug. 8 and charged with aggravated assault and serious bodily injury in her death.

Guadalupe Camarena, 32, is not a medical professional and convinced Delfino Gonzales, 22, that the silicone injections would replicate breasts and widen her hips without the time and expense of encased breast implants or other medically accepted procedures, according to the Houston Police Department.

“The practice of injecting silicone into transgender individuals is not new,” John Cannon, a police spokesperson, said in a statement. “Many individuals have been injected and are unaware of the dangers associated with the injections.”

After Gonzales was injected in April, the silicone traveled to the heart and lungs, blocking organ function and causing acute respiratory distress syndrome, according to the Harris County Medical Examiner’s office.

Gonzales died May 7 at Memorial Hermann Hospital Southwest.

Gonzales allegedly paid Camarena a “nominal” fee for the procedure.

Police said that a second Houston victim, San Chiem, 35, died July 22 at Spring Branch Medical Center, probably as a result of injections given by Camarena, but he was not charged with that death at press time.

Authorities are investigating whether Chiem was injected by someone else in San Antonio two days before she died.

Houston police are asking for help in the investigations.

“Those individuals who have received [silicone] injections from the suspect or anyone else are asked to contact the HPD Major Offenders Division,” Cannon said.

The Houston cases come on the heels of a transgendered woman receiving a five-year prison sentence in the “pumping party” death of a Miami woman. Donnie “Viva” Hendrix, 34, was convicted July 30 of practicing medicine without a license after helping perform silicone injections around the country.

Hendrix’s accomplice, Mark Hawkins, was convicted of third-degree murder in the case and faces 15 years in prison at sentencing later this year.

Vanessa Edwards Foster, the Houston-based chair of the National Transgender Advocacy Coalition, agreed with police that injecting silicone is dangerous but well known among male-to-female transgendered people.

“The first time I heard about it was about 15 years ago in South America, then it hit the United States about 1994 or 1995,” Foster said. “I know one person who had it done four or five years ago and hasn’t seen complications yet, but that in no way implies that the long-term risks aren’t there.”

Foster and NTAC warn against receiving silicone injections people other than licensed medical professionals, she said.

“I would strongly discourage anyone who is considering such a procedure from seeking out this kind of treatment,” Foster said. “The long-term effects are unknown, and obviously some people are dying.”

But the risks of injecting silicone may pale in comparison to the risks that some transgendered people face on a daily basis, Foster said.

“Often these people are sex workers or female impersonators who make a living with their bodies,” she said. “They have almost no income or other resources to make changes by legitimate medical means. It boils down to economy.

“It’s hard to convince these individuals that [silicone injection] is more risky than the daily risks they take on the streets in the way they make a living,” she added. “Without options, they take these steps.”

That some are willing to take medical risks may be indicative of greater societal problems, Foster said.

“There needs to be more outreach to these individuals about long-term risk,” she said. “But in the current political climate, they are ostracized from care and education as well as legitimate ways to make a living.

“Until employers and the rest of society step up to the plate to offer a better way to make a living, many people are forced to make decisions like this,” she said.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

These days it seems like so many people just pick up needles and start pumping "silicone" or whatever else into anyone. Just because they are doing it doesn't mean they know what they are doing. I really do not understand how so many girls will go to anyone, just because they say "oh i pump silicone". It is so unfortunate that these quacks get clients.
    I know several horror stories and it has always led back to the same people. I also know many,many success stories.

And to correct one of the quotes mentioned in the article. Silicone injections did not become popular in the 1990's for transsexuals in the US. TG women have used silicone for body modification since the 50's but it really became popular in the 70's. Furthemore, the Japanese started using silcione to inject genetic females breasts in the 50's, with very bad results.

In several countries it is is legal for doctors to perform silicone injections.
    Every medical procedure has risks- INCLUDING INFECTION AND DEATH . I have a body full of silicone, I educated my self and researched as much as I could on the matter. Getting silicone pumped is very uncomfortable and it takes YEARS to get the shape right. You must take care of it and work out to help with your circulation. I don't think the FDA will legalize silicone injections any time soon. Until then, girls will be forced to continue do have it done illegally in search of a feminine shape.

Rookie Poster

Default silicon injections

If you scroll down a little, you will find I posted a warning, though not in as great detail about the silicon injections in use in Houston.

Still Here 5 Star Poster

Allanah you are so correct. The quacks might not know what they are doing, but if they do one girls body well, they'll gain about 15 customers. And truth be told, some of the quacks are pretty good (resultswise).
    One "doctor" that a lot of girls go to. her apartment/office looks really professional. with doctors equipment and everything. Only problem is she's not really a doctor. Some girls know this and still go, even travelling long distances to see her. I guess if you in a situation where your body is your main meal ticket,the short term gains far outweight long term problems.