Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Junior Poster

Default What is intelligence?

I am sure there are more than a few people on here that have various University degrees and maybe the odd doctorate out there but does that define intelligence? Most would say no, it only shows that they are knowledgeable in one (or a few) particular fields.

Intelligence can be defined as a property of the mind that encompasses many related abilities, such as the capacities to reason, to plan, to solve problems, to think abstractly, to comprehend ideas, to use language, and to learn. There are several ways to define intelligence. In some cases, intelligence may include traits such as creativity, personality, character, knowledge, or wisdom.

I worked with a guy recently...a very smart individual on paper and very well read, but i asked him to stack something up for me- he did as he was told but stacked it all uneven and I said to him 'why didnt you stack it, so the boxes were sitting on their widest point rather than their narrow side'? He replied he didnt think of that and...moments later they collapsed.

Common sense is an important component of intelligence i believe. Now common sense is a funny one, when i was growing up i thought I lacked some of this thing called common sense, I would often do stupid things the wrong way because i didnt stop and think. After I left university and was working an internship in Civil Engineering I was asked to do a year on the ground working in construction- I thought great, i will do it. In construction and been one of the only guys without a criminal record (we were doing asphalt) I was on the barrow all do lugging asphalt and if I did a mistake or didnt think about what i was doing I would get yelled at and spittal would often land in my face, some of these guys would get very aggressive at minor things. So eventually i stopped i would think about everything i was doing, i would slow down and take everything in around me and eventually i stopped making mistakes. Sometimes though common sense isnt common- if you have no familiarity how is it common to you?

What are your definitions of intelligence? There are alot of people on here that write with eloquence and seem intelligent, (whereas I just free-type and dont check my grammar or spelling) so what are your thoughts?

Good question, citing example. I know a lot of stoopid people with diplomas on their walls. A doctorate doesn't necessarily mean you're intelligent, just smart. My cat is smart, but she can't do basic math and therefore comes up a bit shy on the intelligence scale (Though I have reason to believe that she'd score higher than I would).

I'm interested in seeing some of the replies here. Perhaps some explanation as to how a friend of mine can analyze military and political history in finite terms yet he can't balance a checkbook to save his life. Or lawyers and judges with exemplary careers that have trouble spelling 'tort' and pen entire briefs sans paragraphs, punctuation, and capitalization. Or MacGiver-like mechanics and engineers who electrocute themselves by changing a lightbulb.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

If we take intelligence to be the acquisition and application of knowledge- then that doesn't stipulate the knowledge be diverse.

So someone can be unbelievably intelligent (that is, knowing alot and knowing how to use that knowledge) in one area, while having virtually no such knowledge in other areas.

Think about all the geniuses in history like say, Tesla who were undeniably intelligent, but not exactly intelligent when dealing with say- social knowledge. I.e. you're "eccentric inventor"

Hughes is another example that comes to mind like that. Brilliant guy.... not so much when it comes to dealing with people.

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

First of all i want to tell that my english is not very good but i will try to do my best. I translated all your posts and here is some ideas :

The intelligence does not depend on genetics, because we use an average of only 10% of our brain capacity. What counts is our ability to fully utilize the possibilities of our mind.
    The important thing is how we process and organize information, which we interpret our experiences, and more broadly, how we represent reality.

Do not make his decision based on that of others, and do not take for granted what is said or suggested by the media, advertising, politicians. Make use of your free will and your discernment. Always ask yourself the question what YOU think, depending on your vision and what you really feel. While simultaneously being open and tolerant towards other views or perceptions.

He whose mind does not produce any independent thinking and does nothing other than what is discharged is virtually "no value". Functionally, it is a "container".

Many people think in black and white, ie on a binary: good or bad, true or false, 1 or 0. The consequences of thinking are binary dualism, the lack of nuance, intolerance, and ultimately violence and wars.
    But the ideal is to achieve reality show IN COLOR.

To mark their league, men like to talk cars or other technology and thus avoid the intimate subjects. Proud of their knowledge, they rarely boast of being zero in math. For many women, it is rather a luxury to have never understood the abstract theories or be overtaken by technology! In contrast, women are moving easily on discussions of a psychological nature: they excel, and manage to assert itself in this area considered frivolous by the men, who often wait for word that leads to action!

"Men have a better sense of direction than women"! You've probably already heard that statement! And you say it is anything (if you're a woman) or conversely that it is true (if you're a man). Science has also raised the question ... And it seems the thesis of a better sense of orientation in humans. This would in effect a better perception of 3D and would thus be better able to move. This is linked to an action of male hormones in brain development, which would promote the development of the right hemisphere. But this part of the brain is particularly responsible for spatial orientation

Junior Poster

In contrast, women are moving easily on discussions of a psychological nature: they excel, and manage to assert itself in this area considered frivolous by the men, who often wait for word that leads to action!
    Where do transsexuals fit into these things..like for example a woman by nature is better at dealing with conflicts and evaluating a situation, they say most of these traits are genetic.

Does it mean that once again you have best of both worlds, they can evaluate situations etc like a man would and like a woman would? I guess it is variable.

In general I find discussions like this one to be coming from those lacking in formal education as an excuse as why intelligence can't be measured by University Degrees, SAT scores, etc.

Just because you don't know about it, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist: http://www.hungangels.com/board/view...=asc&start=158

Junior Poster

I have to disagree with some people on this subject. I do think intelligence is inherited (genetics). Also intelligence and knowledge are two separate things. Intelligence you are born with, knowledge is acquired. It is also true that people who are really knowledgeable about a certain subject or field are sometimes lacking in common sense. It's like they are almost programmed to excel in their field. Some people are born with an inept ability to learn things, i.e. mechanics, science. Some breeds of dogs are bred to have certain traits, like retrieving or herding. It's amazing what they pick up in such a short time. Now is that intelligence, well kind of. It was inherited, and they excel on a certain subject. The knowledge is acquired easily. I think that is the way it is for humans as well. Overall, I think intelligence is your ability to easily acquire knowledge.

live and let live.

Quote Originally Posted by fordly66
    I have to disagree with some people on this subject. I do think intelligence is inherited (genetics). Also intelligence and knowledge are two separate things. Intelligence you are born with, knowledge is acquired. It is also true that people who are really knowledgeable about a certain subject or field are sometimes lacking in common sense. It's like they are almost programmed to excel in their field. Some people are born with an inept ability to learn things, i.e. mechanics, science. Some breeds of dogs are bred to have certain traits, like retrieving or herding. It's amazing what they pick up in such a short time. Now is that intelligence, well kind of. It was inherited, and they excel on a certain subject. The knowledge is acquired easily. I think that is the way it is for humans as well. Overall, I think intelligence is your ability to easily acquire knowledge.
    Genetics can play a role, but then again so can the environment (think the effects of lead poisoning).

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

mmmmm beefy Platinum Poster rockabilly's Avatar

I'm smart enough to know that i don't know everything.

Professional Poster tommymageeshemales2's Avatar

"...knowledge is knowing tomatoes are fruit. wisdom is knowing not to put them in a fruit salad..."

yeah, yeah, yeah, intelligence is knowing not to start a thread like this because in the next couple of hours it will be hijacked by morons who write eloquently, or more to the point, write a lot and are almost certainly not Degree holders.

For what it's worth I concur with fordly66's comments.

But the Duke brothers of Trading Places ( ) have touched upon this nature vs nurture debate before. And of the two, I have to say I agree more with Randy than "heyyyy Mortay".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randolph_duke__billy_ray__mortimer_duke_559.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	270234