Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Professional Poster

"On a personal note; long ago as a freshman I had a roommate; a Jewish kid who was a composition major in the Conservatory. He not was into jazz, but one time I was playing the Kind of Blue album, and he had a break through hearing the music. He credits it with changing his muscial life"

Likewise, Coltranee "The Love Supreme" has had the effect on many cats. Ask any black man in his fifties and they will cosign.

Also I have given cats David Sanborn's "The Dream" and it has had the same life changing effect.

Kenny Burrell's "Soul Lament" from his Midnight Blue album is one of the most moving pieces of music I've ever heard.

Rookie Poster

Default Miles and Kind of Blue

No question, it is the Best, try and see the movie about "Kind of Blue", frigging awesome. It reigns to this day as the genre's greatest hit and the most coherent album ever made.

Why does Kind of Blue posses such a mystique? Perhaps because this music never flaunts its genius... It's the pinnacle of modal jazz — tonality and solos build from the overall key, not chord changes, giving the music a subtly shifting quality.

Read Ashley Kahn's book about it, also a masterpiece. Long-time fans, who know the music and the myths inside out, will marvel anew at the dedication Miles showed not only to his music, but in what can only be called his sentimentality in working with the other artists on the dates. His relationship with pianist Bill Evans is especially poignant.

Professional Poster

jimme747

ashley kahn's book about Kind of Blue was great your description of it, as well as Miles dedication to the music and the set date...is right on

Rookie Poster

Thanks, don't get me wrong there is other great stuff, but Blue is, I would almost say "the Jazz Bible" . Over the years I listened to many different artist playing it. "Ivory and steel" , Kevin Eubanks and Michel Petrucciani to name a few. Enjoy, I promise you it's gonna cost you sleep.

Rookie Poster

Abbey Lincoln featuring Stan Getz!!!

Junior Poster

yep.. You all may have a favorite jazz album and it may waver from day to day.. but in an unpartisan analysis.. its without a doubt.. KIND OF BLUE>>
    crunch the numbers yo

Professional Poster

anyone who can hollar Abby Lincoln.. Much respect.

Miles Davis .......... Bitches Brew............ fantastic.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bitches_brew_801.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	270657  

t-girls are gonna take over the world!

Professional Poster

Bitches Brew... listen with a fat joint