Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ANY NERDS ON HERE GOOD WITH PHOTOSHOP??

I need some help. I made a flyer for my next party n saved it as a tiff so the print version will come out clear and fine when its printed... but I also saved a copy for the web. But when I saved it for the web I saved it as a GIF instead of Jpeg. Now it's slightly rough n jagged. Is it possible to convert a gif back to a jpeg and still have the high quality i had before i messed up n saved it as a gif or do I have to redesign it all over again? shit shit shit!!

any help would be appreciated cuz that flyer took 3 hours n i dont feel like doing it again. thank god i aint mess the print one up.

Rookie Poster

Default photoshop

I have photoshop and can do almost anything with it. If you can send me the .tiff file and I can make you a clear .jpg version for the web.

What about some banners, i am sure you could do some banner swaps. i could do those too if you want.

send me a PM and let me know.

No, saving one format as another will not improve the quality of the original, though (as you found out), saving it as another format can indeed reduce the quality of the saved image compared to the original. But if you still have the tiff file, simply it as a jpeg and forget about the gif.

I've been using Photoshop since 1993, ., so if you want to send me the tiff, I'll gladly resave it as a jpeg for you, optimizing the quality as much as possible. OK, here's some technobabble for you to clarify:

tiff is a lossless format (can be saved any number of times without any loss of data or quality) in millions of colors. gif is a lossless format limited to 256 colors (thus, ideal for computer graphics but lousy for photographs). jpeg is a lossy format (some data/image quality is lost with every save) but supports millions of colors (thus ideal for photos--but mostly for smaller sizes and not to be resaved).

Also, when you save as a jpeg you should try for a balance between image size and quality: in Photoshop Save for Web, you get a range from 0 - 100; at 100 it's almost 100% of the original quality--and the same size. At say 50% or 40% it's much smaller in filesize (better for the web), but you may lose too much image quality. A balance point is usually found somewhere between 60% and 75% depending on how small you want the file to be and how little loss of quality is acceptable (I usually target 70% as a rule of thumb, but it depends).

Most likely, when you saved the tiff as a gif, you also reduced the filesize. If the image had indexed colors (which is the case for gifs--they only support up to 256 colors) and you resized it without going back to RGB color (which is millions of colors), then you'll get the jaggies you're talking about.

Problem with jpeg is the fonts could lose some clarity compared to the gif (unless saved at a relatively high setting, maybe 80%), but the image itself will look much better. PM me if you'd like me to convert the tiff for you. But if all you have is the gif, resaving as a jpeg won't gain you anything because you're limited to the source file.

BTW, for print you should target 133 lpi (lines per inch), which is 300 dpi; for the web, 72 dpi.

ok send me your email address please... 1@ViciousVixenINC.com

but wait problem though.... the tiff version is saved in CMYK color format not RGB color format. Can u make it go back to RGB?? Keepin mind the image has been flattened.... THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!!!

No problem; I sent you my email and will be happy to resave for you. No problem going between CMYK and RGB: the color space is different (CYMK
    is four color process for print--Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black), while RGB is screen
    color (Red Green Blue), but all you see on the screen even if working in CMYK is RGB.

Quote Originally Posted by aTsLiKeN0oThEr

but wait problem though.... the tiff version is saved in CMYK color format not RGB color format. Can u make it go back to RGB?? Keepin mind the image has been flattened.... THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!!!
    Wow look at . she's all about that PhotoShop thingee. Baby I think you is the PhotoShop Nerd with your CMYK > RGB Flattened Layers. Hey I went to the Photo Expo in NYC today and the biggest crowd was for Apple Apature which they claim will blow away PS.....

I just recently got the new imac. it's hot, HD flat widescreen and the best part? The computer itself, speakers and everything r built into the monitor n the whole system needs only 1 plug. My best friend said it looks like its from the movie I-Robot when he saw it. It's very sleek n sex however apple or mac's online tend to have alot of problems so i doubt i'll be using it tho.

p.s.- yea i'm a nerd, but sometimes i take off my glasses n let my hair down.

I think you'll be ok now.

Junior Poster

I havent read the whole post but I am decent with photoshop and indesign and I can make it prepress.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Foto
    Quote Originally Posted by aTsLiKeN0oThEr

Wow look at . she's all about that PhotoShop thingee. Baby I think you is the PhotoShop Nerd with your CMYK > RGB Flattened Layers. Hey I went to the Photo Expo in NYC today and the biggest crowd was for Apple Apature which they claim will blow away PS.....
    Ive seen it there 2 days ago, they had a very big thing there. Did you see the Canon booth? It was crowded with people and they were pushing 5D real hard.