Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by alpha2117
    It should be noted that both Sony and Microsoft sell those consoles at a loss already. It's hard to be to critical of them.
    Actually before the new "slim" version even came out I read that Sony recently started to make around $70 each console sold.

I have a really hard time believing they were losing money on each console soon after launch. Yes. If you or me were to buy those components and add up the cost it would cost more than what they were selling the system for. But Sony doesn't pay that same amount. They buy in bulk. A hard drive that costs you or me $100 costs them $45. Why? Because they buy 100,000 at a time. Same for the other components. Them claiming they were losing money is total BS. Maybe for the first couple months but after that no.

I have the personality and people skills of a retarded home-schooled kid.

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly
    Going through Prototype now. And Point Lookout dlc for Fallout 3. How bout you Ryz whats spinning in your consoe? My point is what games are ONLY for PS3 ... it's a small list.
    Ugh, I hated Prototype. Right now I just got DLC for Wipeout and Burnout so I'm playing those right now and I just bought Fat Princess

I use to be a Goon. Now I'm a Pretty Bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGeech
    It should be noted that both Sony and Microsoft sell those consoles at a loss already. It's hard to be to critical of them.
    Actually before the new "slim" version even came out I read that Sony recently started to make around $70 each console sold.

I have a really hard time believing they were losing money on each console soon after launch. Yes. If you or me were to buy those components and add up the cost it would cost more than what they were selling the system for. But Sony doesn't pay that same amount. They buy in bulk. A hard drive that costs you or me $100 costs them $45. Why? Because they buy 100,000 at a time. Same for the other components. Them claiming they were losing money is total BS. Maybe for the first couple months but after that no.
    on point-bulk=cheaper But to be honest Sony is taking a major hit on this so called price drop
    Reviewers first quoted a PS3 to be priced for 800-now down to 300...sales arent as high as they used to be...Economic downfall!

Living your dream! Just call me your superhero! JIX
    1/3 of the Legendary Trifecta called O ED & the Jizzzyyy...
    PeekyMcWatchmeFUCK!
    OEJTM-#DEGENERATES
    HBSF-FETC

mmmmm beefy Platinum Poster rockabilly's Avatar

Yeah Prototype did not live up to the hype. Batman - Arkham Asylum is next for me.

But in all honesty i still play Bioshock everyday , and play KOTOR some weekends. A good game is good no matter how old it is. And Bioshock is still an amazing experience.

You also have to take in part R&D, marketing, shipping and etc. I've read up on these things and the only company that has never sold a console at a loss in Nintendo. It sometimes can take years for these parts to drop in prices. And remember alot of these components aren't off the shelf parts either.

Quote Originally Posted by tjinla2001
    I haven't just let a single prostitute cum in my mouth. Hundreds- more likely thousands of transvesites have shot their loads in my mouth. God bless america
    I AM A GUY NOT A TRANSSEXUAL!

Veteran Poster

I hate timeouts

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Silcc69

You also have to take in part R&D, marketing, shipping and etc. I've read up on these things and the only company that has never sold a console at a loss in Nintendo. It sometimes can take years for these parts to drop in prices. And remember alot of these components aren't off the shelf parts either.
    True. I did forget about some of those other factors. But they are making it sound much worse than it really is.

$600 was too much for the 3DO
    $600 was too much for the Atari Jaguar
    $600 was too much for the Neo Geo
    $600 was too much for the PS3
    Sony is lucky they didn't die immediately.

Sony really disappointed me this time. The PS2 is one of my favorite consoles of all time. But they really screwed the pooch on this generation. First it was the insane price. Then no real exclusives. Then motion control instead of dualshock because they didn't want to pay licensing fees. And so on and so on...

True. I did forget about some of those other factors. But they are making it sound much worse than it really is.

Sony really disappointed me this time. The PS2 is one of my favorite consoles of all time. But they really screwed the pooch on this generation. First it was the insane price. Then no real exclusives. Then motion control instead of dualshock because they didn't want to pay licensing fees. And so on and so on...
    The 3DO hardware was leaps and bounds better than what was in the 16-Bit machines plus it uses a double speed CD-ROM drive

The Jaguar was never 600 dollars it was always 249.99

The Neo-Geo was basically an arcade unit

The PS3 when it first came out was like the cheapest and best BR player out there back in 06.

I haven't just let a single prostitute cum in my mouth. Hundreds- more likely thousands of transvesites have shot their loads in my mouth. God bless america

Veteran Poster

The 3DO hardware was leaps and bounds better than what was in the 16-Bit machines plus it uses a double speed CD-ROM drive

The Jaguar was never 600 dollars it was always 249.99

The Neo-Geo was basically an arcade unit

The PS3 when it first came out was like the cheapest and best BR player out there back in 06.
    True. I guess what I was trying to show with those examples was that there seems to be a limit to what mainstream gamers are willing to pay. Sometimes those systems are cutting edge. Sometimes they are way ahead of there time. But ultimately fail because of that high price. Are you sure about the Jaguar? I could have sworn that it was at least $399 for awhile. And I thought it was even more when it first launched.

Jag was major cheap. Most of those other system they probably didn't want to sell them at a loss. And the NG was so popular in the arcade parlors that they could get away with it as a niche system and even being so damn high it is the second longest living console outside of the 2600. As for the PS3 Sony had a massive fanbase that they thought would follow them in droves for the PS3. Hey we charged 299.99 for both the PSX and PS2 let's go for 599 and 499 for the PS3 and boy were they in for a ride awakening.