Veteran Poster

Default Do you think Congress deserves a pay raise?

Senator Urges Lawmakers to Reject Raises

WASHINGTON - Senators should do their part in reducing federal spending by turning down a pay raise, Sen. Jon Kyl (news, bio, voting record) said Monday.

Under Kyl's amendment to a spending bill covering federal workers, senators would forgo the estimated 1.9 percent cost-of-living increase that will automatically go into effect unless the Senate votes to reject it.

The pay increase, also applicable to House members, would boost the salary for rank-and-file lawmakers by $3,100 to $165,200.

The $2 million in savings would take care of about three minutes of the year's deficit.

The House earlier approved a similar spending bill with only one lawmaker speaking out against the pay increase, but House conservatives have recently revived the issue in a package of proposals to cut federal spending in light of the mounting costs of rebuilding after hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

"One way that we might encourage others to come forth with potential savings is to demonstrate that we ourselves are willing to forgo this COLA," said Kyl, R-Ariz. "It's a gesture that members of the Senate ought to make."

Republicans froze salaries for several years after gaining the majority in 1995, but in seven of the past eight years lawmakers have accepted cost-of-living increases, usually with little or no debate.

A vote on Kyl's amendment is scheduled for Tuesday. Sen. Russ Feingold (news, bio, voting record), D-Wis., who for years has tried without success to freeze lawmaker pay, is co-sponsoring the amendment.

5 Star Poster

Do I think they deserve a pay rise?

No, I think most of them deserve to be dragged by their hair to a lonely spot, asskicked, stripped naked to their skimpies and left there in the cold. But that's just me and I don't like politicians.

Seriously they get 160 grand a year and they want more? Fuck their COLA I say! Let them have Sprite!

Obviously I know that a COLA is a Cost Of Living Allowance. Then again a SPRITE is a Special Package Requiring Immediate Termination of Expenses.

Anyway, apparently the senators have done the right thing if the reports in today's papers are anything to go by:

Senators turn down their own pay raises

ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Senators yesterday agreed to give up their annual pay raise, saying they must do their part to save the government money in light of the huge expenses from Hurricane Katrina and the growing budget deficit.
    Congress is looking for ways to rein in spending, said Sen. Jon Kyl, Arizona Republican, who sponsored the pay-freeze proposal. "It's hard to argue that this process shouldn't include our own salaries." The measure passed 92-6.

Posted on Wed, Oct. 19, 2005
    Apparently the damages caused by Katrina might lead to spendings of up to $50 billion. Giving up the raises saved $2 million. Now if only they could be forced to accept a massive reduction in pay, the US might save up to a billion...I say drag them by their hair, kick their ass and make them sign at gunpoint. But like I said, that's just my opinion.

Navin R. Johnson: You mean I'm going to stay this color??
    Mother: I'd love you if you were the color of a baboon's ass.

Professional Poster

FUCK NO!

These guys are like the only ppl who seem to get pay raises, us regular peon don't get big pay raises.

Plus why do we gotta pay more tax money for a bunch of already over-paid, pencil pushing fat asses who can't agree on ANYTHING, apart from, " Let's all go on vacation, and raises our salaries!".

I think it's about time congress gets a pay CUT for a change.

Con is the opposite of pro, so Congress is the opposite of Progress. The word Bureaucrat outta be spelled B U R R O, as they act. :P

Burninating the country side, burninating the peasants. Burninating all the people in their thatched roof cottages....THATCHED ROOF COTTAGES!!!!!

Veteran Poster

Their pay is nothing compared to their benefits. We still pay good salaries to former Congress members and ex-presidents. I remember when Dan Rostenkowski pleaded guilty to mail fraud, but since he resigned taxpayers paid his salary still.

Platinum Poster

exactly...and let's not forget, that after they are fired/retired/convicted, etc....

a great many take jobs with the same corrupt lobbyists that paid for their junkets, hookers, etc., while in office...and their new jobs pay WAY more...Thomas Jefferson et al are rolling in their graves...

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe