Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
    Bella Doll Platinum Poster BellaBellucci's Avatar

Default Star Trek Into Darkness

OK, I'm done staying quiet about this (it's been an entire 24 hours ): Star Trek Into Darkness has wonderful characters. The way they play off each other is typically excellent Abrams/Orci/Kurtzman fare. One of my favorite things about Trek has always been the extent to which the bridge crews are always close like family. In fact, that's why I watch Trek movies when I'm alone over the holidays. So, on that level this was a terrific movie.

The sets and effects were great. The 3D was terrific. And you gotta love Benedict Cumberbatch as you-know-who. In my opinion, a movie of this nature is most successful when you can actually relate to the antagonist somehow.

BUT THAT SCRIPT! UGH! It's a miserable combination of Space Seed, Trek II, and Trek 6 with far too much disruption simply for the sake of reminding the audience that this is a new universe. Guess what, JJ: we get it. And the remake of a classic scene (with a twist that JJ no doubt convinced himself was witty) that really had no business being conceived, let alone shot, was just too much to bear. And yes, they include the classic line, but it's not what you think. It's far, far, FAR worse. Oh, and don't get me started on the unnecessary shoehorning of one particular Vulcan who shall go unnamed, but whose identity should be pretty obvious to everyone. Shatner must be ripping his hair out.

Being lenient because I'm a Trekkie and this movie is openly marketed as a summer popcorn movie, not to mention the pure adrenaline rush I derived from it, I give it 8/10 overall (as have most of the critics for mostly the same reasons ), but I will warn you... the final sequence will have you screaming, 'Jaaaaaaaaaaaaay Jaaaaaaaaaaaay!'

~BB~

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Silver Poster

Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

it's by jj abrams. it can't be good.

i really doubt the validity of anyone that says they're a star trek fan and enjoys these "new" films. abrams himself said they aren't made for star trek fans.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBellucci View Post
    Shatner must be ripping his hair out.

Too late.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

The franchise really should have stopped after the original few series were done I think.

OK, I'm done staying quiet about this (it's been an entire 24 hours ): Star Trek Into Darkness has wonderful characters. The way they play off each other is typically excellent Abrams/Orci/Kurtzman fare. One of my favorite things about Trek has always been the extent to which the bridge crews are always close like family. In fact, that's why I watch Trek movies when I'm alone over the holidays. So, on that level this was a terrific movie.

The sets and effects were great. The 3D was terrific. And you gotta love Benedict Cumberbatch as you-know-who. In my opinion, a movie of this nature is most successful when you can actually relate to the antagonist somehow.

BUT THAT SCRIPT! UGH! It's a miserable combination of Space Seed, Trek II, and Trek 6 with far too much disruption simply for the sake of reminding the audience that this is a new universe. Guess what, JJ: we get it. And the remake of a classic scene (with a twist that JJ no doubt convinced himself was witty) that really had no business being conceived, let alone shot, was just too much to bear. And yes, they include the classic line, but it's not what you think. It's far, far, FAR worse. Oh, and don't get me started on the unnecessary shoehorning of one particular Vulcan who shall go unnamed, but whose identity should be pretty obvious to everyone. Shatner must be ripping his hair out.

Being lenient because I'm a Trekkie and this movie is openly marketed as a summer popcorn movie, not to mention the pure adrenaline rush I derived from it, I give it 8/10 overall (as have most of the critics for mostly the same reasons ), but I will warn you... the final sequence will have you screaming, 'Jaaaaaaaaaaaaay Jaaaaaaaaaaaay!'

~BB~
    Totally agree. Just saw it tonight. I wouldn't say that I'm disappointed -- though just a little -- but I really did not like the liberal use of lines and sub-plots lifted from so many other Star Trek episodes / movies. It got to the point that I felt Abrams was making fun of us devoted lifelong fans. I was ready for an awesome movie and would gladly have settled for very good. As it stands the movie was just OK. Also, while the villain had many great villainous traits he still could not touch the character and actor on which it is originally based. And while I thought it was interesting in the first re-boot I'm really not feeling the emotional Spock and his relationship with Uhura. Despite the huge budget and top notch effects I feel like the special effects from Sci-Fi Channel's Battlestar Galactica were more convincing. And what's with the bromance? Kirk rolling his eyes at Spock because he won't reciprocate his declaration that he will miss him.

Last edited by Chuck; 05-17-2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: missed a word

Senior Member Professional Poster

OMG am I the person that knew the villain is Kh........ nevermind . I told a girl in a red trek dress who it was and whom Alice Eve's character was . She didn't believe me . When he told Kirk who he really was the whole theater was in shock or amazement . I looked behind me at the red dress girl and her group to see her reaction . She gave me that astonished OMG you were right look .

The big thing I noticed about the movie was the Foley ( sound effects ) . They sounded a lot like the ones used in the Star Wars films .

Zoe needs to go back to Berlitz to brush up on her Kling ( Klingon Language ) .

Lastly, Trekkie is a Derogatory Term . Trekker is the proper Term

Sammi Valentine's Personal Fat Bastard & Self Appointed Teddy Bear Of Tatiana Summer & Evon Rose's Date To The 4th Annual Tranny Awards .... I Hope .

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    I felt Abrams was making fun of us devoted lifelong fans.
    I went with my roommate and she said the exact same thing. It really kinda felt like that, didn't it? I mean, I like JJ, but I'm starting to get the idea that he has little respect for us.

~BB~

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Rhodes View Post
    OMG am I the person that knew the villain is Kh........ nevermind . I told a girl in a red trek dress who it was and whom Alice Eve's character was . She didn't believe me . When he told Kirk who he really was the whole theater was in shock or amazement . I looked behind me at the red dress girl and her group to see her reaction . She gave me that astonished OMG you were right look .
    Those are JJ's Trek fans. Nevermind them. They've only seen the last movie before this one because it was 'kinda like Star Wars.'

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Rhodes View Post
    Lastly, Trekkie is a Derogatory Term . Trekker is the proper Term
    Says who? I never liked the word 'Trekker.' That sounds like we personally explore strange new worlds, seek out...

~BB~

The record setting weekend is june 14/16 when Man Of Steel is released .

Sammi Valentine's Personal Fat Bastard & Self Appointed Teddy Bear Of Tatiana Summer & Evon Rose's Date To The 4th Annual Tranny Awards .... I Hope .

Those are JJ's Trek fans. Nevermind them. They've only seen the last movie before this one because it was 'kinda like Star Wars.'

Says who? I never liked the word 'Trekker.' That sounds like we personally explore strange new worlds, seek out...

~BB~
    Trekkies say it .