View Poll Results: Why is it tanking?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • His numbers don't add up on Health care

1 4.55%
  • He failed to stimulate the economy after spending nearly a trillion tax dollars

6 27.27%
  • Unemployment is greater now than before the stimulus

3 13.64%
  • He acts like a petulant child when he doesn't get his way

3 13.64%
  • Republicans are racists who hate black people

9 40.91%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    5 Star Poster

I said it's jobs. To know about the healtcare debate you would have to watch the news regularly. Whereas if you (or your friend/relative) don't have a job you know it.

I don't think that nearly as many people in the bulk of the country want single payer as some here believe. In states like Illinois through medicaid, and most counties hospitals and clinics we have a government option. People wait long periods of time. It's simple X doctors and Y patients if X<<Y then there will be a long wait list. Here's hoping you have enough time when you are put on that list.

I don't think most people care about the ideology. They want something done. The whole system is broken, & there's been a bunch of do-nothing for a long time. They want it fixed. It's going to take time. I don't believe the majority of people are as naive as they're portrayed.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaQG
    I don't think that nearly as many people in the bulk of the country want single payer as some here believe. In states like Illinois through medicaid, and most counties hospitals and clinics we have a government option. People wait long periods of time. It's simple X doctors and Y patients if X<<Y then there will be a long wait list. Here's hoping you have enough time when you are put on that list.
    Canada has been doing quite well with single payer healthcare. I've got 30 relatives living in Canada, they don't have problems getting healthcare. The rationing scare that's hyped by some media outlets is vastly overstated.

Canada funds it's single payer system via a VAT, I don't see why we couldn't do the same.

And I do think there is strong support for single payer on the left... Obama's base.

Junior Poster

You should have put a choice in there that says: "Americans are a bunch of insipid, ingorant, impatient, instant-gratification-based twats," because that's why his popularity is tanking. Sure, he made promises, what politician doesn't, but he also said, in EVERY MAJOR SPEECH THAT HE GAVE ABOUT THE ECONOMY, that things WERE GOING TO GET WORSE BEFORE THEY GET BETTER. But no American wants to hear that. We're impatient. If we don't get a quick fix, then obviously that sumbitch is lying and suddenly everyone else is validated.

As for the stimulus package, they have NOT spent all of the money because BOTH parties believe that it needs to be spent in an intelligent manner and not just dumped right back into the economy. I'd love to see the numbers, but it has been said numerous times that not all of the trillion was spent and is being held in a kind of ready reserve.

Everyone who thinks that you can revive a tanked economy in a matter of a few months is off of their fucking rocker. You can't fix a decade of damage in a half-dozen months... it just doesn't work that way, but people are upset, because that's what they WANT to happen but are either too stupid, too blind or both to see it, even though people SAID THAT IT WOULD HAPPEN.

Obama's popularity and approval rating is dying because we, as Americans, can't accept that there is no quick solution and we're like petulant little children who are now sulking.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit... what a ride!"
    -Anon-

Platinum Poster

Great post!!

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Chased Thru The Woods... 5 Star Poster bte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nooksack
    You should have put a choice in there that says: "Americans are a bunch of insipid, ingorant, impatient, instant-gratification-based twats," because that's why his popularity is tanking. Sure, he made promises, what politician doesn't, but he also said, in EVERY MAJOR SPEECH THAT HE GAVE ABOUT THE ECONOMY, that things WERE GOING TO GET WORSE BEFORE THEY GET BETTER. But no American wants to hear that. We're impatient. If we don't get a quick fix, then obviously that sumbitch is lying and suddenly everyone else is validated.

As for the stimulus package, they have NOT spent all of the money because BOTH parties believe that it needs to be spent in an intelligent manner and not just dumped right back into the economy. I'd love to see the numbers, but it has been said numerous times that not all of the trillion was spent and is being held in a kind of ready reserve.

Everyone who thinks that you can revive a tanked economy in a matter of a few months is off of their fucking rocker. You can't fix a decade of damage in a half-dozen months... it just doesn't work that way, but people are upset, because that's what they WANT to happen but are either too stupod, too blind or both to see it, even though people SAID THAT IT WOULD HAPPEN.

Obama's popularity and approval rating is dying because we, as Americans, can't accept that there is no quick solution and we're like petulant little children who are now sulking.
    +2

Blood's thicker like a virgin's pussy on Homecoming.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Nooksack

Everyone who thinks that you can revive a tanked economy in a matter of a few months is off of their fucking rocker. You can't fix a decade of damage in a half-dozen months... it just doesn't work that way, but people are upset, because that's what they WANT to happen but are either too stupid, too blind or both to see it, even though people SAID THAT IT WOULD HAPPEN.

Sure, people get impatient when they are out of work for a couple years and are on ther verge of losing thier homes. What a bunch of twats! right?

Of course our problems are not going to be fixed overnight, it may take a decade. But what people need to see right now is progress. By and large that has not yet happened. We haven't held Cheney accountable for his actions, we haven't held the bankers accountable for thier actions, we haven't reformed the banking system and we have not yet stopped the job losses and home forclosures.... The list is long and it's going to take a lot more than 6 months to fix it all. But right now we need progess, Obama has to make significant progress soon on at least one of the major issues at hand.

Also, Obama is not being well served by his economic advisor Larry Summers. Obama would do well to give Summers the boot and hire a capable progressive economist such as James Galbraith to replace him.

Junior Poster

Wow, imagine someone taking what I said personally. Thank you! Even before Americans got nailed by this economic downturn THAT WE CREATED because people CHOSE NOT TO LIVE WITHIN THEIR MEANS, we Americans were impatient, greedy, self-absorbed pricks with "gotta have it NOW" mentality. Anyone who denies that is seriously delusional. For you to take my statement and simply slap it to a specific demographic within the American populace is almost insulting, because it refers to the Americans who AREN'T unemployed or on the verge of losing their homes as well.

You know what really hurts more Americans than the fact that they are unemployed? The fact that they have too much pride. The jobs that are available are beneath them, so they worry about taking handouts or living off of welfare. What ever happened to saving for a rainy day? Oh, that's right... they trusted the banks whose economic gurus thought that it would be good to extend every Tom, Dick and Larry a credit limit that was way above their heads. Those same banks that inflated the market and gave people loans and mortgages that they had no business trying to afford. Once again, people chose not to live within their means and now they are paying the price for their lack of knowledge on proper finance.

I don't disagree that Obama could do with a better economic advisor. I don't disagree that there are plenty of things that need to be fixed at home. I don't disagree that withdrawing from Iraq is not only a good deal, but a money-saver (should the politicians allow it to be). I DO disagree that all of this is Obama's fault. Yeah, people need to be held accountable., but that's ALL people, not just the people in charge. The people who follow are just as guilty as the people who led.

This isn't an attack at you. It's just the truth. Americans caused a problem and now they look to the same Big Brother that they don't want screwing with their lives, to come in and fix their shit. Well it's not going to happen that way and until everyone accepts some level of responsibility, nothing will ever get fixed. Once this crisis ends, if the same opportunities are out there, greedy people will cause it to happen again and it's unfortunate, but true.

You're very right that the list is long, so where should we start? What is realistically feasible? What is Cheney being held accountable for? Does Bush need to be? What about Hennessey or Mankiw or Lazear? What constituted being held accountable? Is that really gonna fix anything or are we just making ourselves feel better because we have another scapegoat or fifty?

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit... what a ride!"
    -Anon-

Even before Americans got nailed by this economic downturn THAT WE CREATED because people CHOSE NOT TO LIVE WITHIN THEIR MEANS, we Americans were impatient, greedy, self-absorbed pricks with "gotta have it NOW" mentality.
    Well, ya gotta get it while you can if you want it. Then hope you can keep it.

People live within their means, by & large. The probloem here is that the means changed. Consumers didn't bring this on. Consumers are over 70% of the total economy. Well, that's the official line anyway. Personally, I can't see a single thing anywhere that isn't ultimately paid for by consumers. When you take away the means for consumption, everything falls apart. This can't be fixed at the top alone. That's been the biggest flaw in all the schemes & scams. When all the money's sitting at the top, everything stagnates. Money needs to be in the hands of people who spend it. It needs to be pried from the hands of the hoarders.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Quote Originally Posted by hippifried
    Even before Americans got nailed by this economic downturn THAT WE CREATED because people CHOSE NOT TO LIVE WITHIN THEIR MEANS, we Americans were impatient, greedy, self-absorbed pricks with "gotta have it NOW" mentality.
    Well, ya gotta get it while you can if you want it. Then hope you can keep it.

People live within their means, by & large. The probloem here is that the means changed. Consumers didn't bring this on. Consumers are over 70% of the total economy. Well, that's the official line anyway. Personally, I can't see a single thing anywhere that isn't ultimately paid for by consumers. When you take away the means for consumption, everything falls apart. This can't be fixed at the top alone. That's been the biggest flaw in all the schemes & scams. When all the money's sitting at the top, everything stagnates. Money needs to be in the hands of people who spend it. It needs to be pried from the hands of the hoarders.
    I agree with this basic sentiment. That is for to long the false philosphy circulated that money in the hands of the rich was more productive than money in the hands of the poor. Or that programing which helps poorer people is a waste of money. But the reality is that investing in lower income people puts money in circulation at the community level and that still circulates upward as they buy goods and services.

I also have a theory that money flowing into fees has served to keep people in economic slavery, where as if their money went to actual goods their goods, would create value, which in turn would increase the value in circulation. An example is that people's money is going to the banks in fees, where the person could be purchasing consumer goods or increasing their net worth. Less people beilng able to buy goods equal less jobs, and so on.