Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    5 Star Poster

Default Favourite British Synth pop band

was listening to my local radio station, and they were having a feature on 80's synth pop. They voted Depeche Mode as the most influential. But I caught this tune by OMD whicj I think is pretty cool, kind of reminds me of George Orwells 1984

mmmmm beefy Platinum Poster rockabilly's Avatar

Depeche Mode was very influential , and there sound got darker the deeper Dave Gahans addictions did. I like OMD and Eurythmics , and alot of 80s music.

Junior Poster

Since were going with synth, I'll go with OMD too.
    But East Side story by Squeeze has 8 or 9 songs that or very well written.

Veteran Poster

Hmm, there was quite a few. Many were pretty decent but only had a "one hit wonder" type career. case in point, Soft Cell. Tainted Love is one of the coolest things you'll ever hear. They were a decent band that put out a couple cool records, but never replicated that tunes success. Tons of people have sampled it or tried to rework it, and they all fall short of the magic in that original version.

Every moment of one's existence one is growing into more or retreating into less.—Norman Mailer

Veteran Poster

Another nod to Soft Cell. I also enjoyed Fad Gadget who were a little more weirder than some of the others.

Rookie Poster

New Order were probably the most influential electro band along with Kraftwerk. Depeche Mode were just a pop band that for some reason were taken far more seriously outside the UK.
    Just like Coldplay(Puke)

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Brian Eno influenced them all, so why bother voting? lol

"Baby's on FIRE!"

Anyway, Gary Numan was more influential than D Mode. D Mode are ok and all, but they were one of many, and not really pioneers of anything imo.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Dupre

"Baby's on FIRE!"

Anyway, Gary Numan was more influential than D Mode. D Mode are ok and all, but they were one of many, and not really pioneers of anything imo.
    Eno is fantastic. His first four solo albums are classics. I even dig his ambient stuff.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Dirky
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Dupre

"Baby's on FIRE!"

Eno is fantastic. His first four solo albums are classics. I even dig his ambient stuff.
    Me too. I actually think the Ambient albums are more durable.