Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
    Quote Originally Posted by deee757
    his stock just went up

he can now (if he chooses) leave Harvard and go to another University and probably have a best seller book on the NY Times list in the coming months if he so chooses.........

up until now no one really knew who he was
    Nobody knew who Henry Louis Gates Jr was before now? are u serious?

Gates has been the recipient of nearly 50 honorary degrees and numerous academic and social action awards. He was named a MacArthur Fellow in 1981 and was listed in Time among its “25 Most Influential Americans” in 1997. On October 23, 2006, Gates was appointed the Alphonse Fletcher Jr. University Professor at Harvard University. In January 2008, he co-founded The Root, a website dedicated to African-American perspectives published by The Washington Post Company. Gates currently chairs the Fletcher Foundation, and is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations. He is on the boards of many notable institutions including the New York Public Library, Jazz at Lincoln Center, the Aspen Institute, the Brookings Institution, the Studio Museum of Harlem, the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, HEAF (the Harlem Educational Activities Fund), and the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences, located in Stanford, California.[2]

In 2002 the National Endowment for the Humanities selected Gates for the Jefferson Lecture, the U.S. federal government's highest honor for achievement in the humanities.[9] Gates' lecture was entitled "Mister Jefferson and the Trials of Phillis Wheatley"[10] and was the basis for his book The Trials of Phillis Wheatley.[11]

In 2006, Gates was inducted into the Sons of the American Revolution after he traced his lineage back to John Redman, a Free Negro who fought in the Revolutionary War.[12]

The popular Harvard-area burger restaurant, Mr. Bartley's Burger Cottage, sells a Professor Skip Gates burger topped with pineapple and teriyaki sauce.

All this and a man cant tell the police everything is ok, and they just leave?
    Deee, no disrespect but if you walked into any barbershop or stripclub or hair salon in the hood prior to his arrest the odds of anyone knowing who you were talking about had you said his name would have been rare if at all acknowledged.............cmon now.
    Not true, I dont know who has conversations in strip clubs, but in hair salons and barbershops gates and his work (along with Cornel West) are constant subjects. Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Black Man and The African American Century: How Black Americans Have Shaped Our Century Are some recent books discussed the last time I was in a barber shop. Not to mention any hip hop purest knows that he spoke on behalf of Two Live Crew's Luke Skywalker in his freedom of speech victory. Test your theroy and go into a black barbershop and see how many people are up on gates. Ask about cornell west too, he was not recently in the news.

No, nope, never, maybe

Silver Poster

Educated bruhs are definitely up on both Gates and West. And the Barbershop is one of the last bastions of intellectual conversation.

I've neverdone good things
    I've never done bad things
    I've never done anything out of the blue

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

Quote Originally Posted by ed_jaxon
    Educated bruhs are definitely up on both Gates and West. And the Barbershop is one of the last bastions of intellectual conversation.
    As well as tthe educated Sistahs.

You'd be surpised at the variety and depth pf the conversations that
    we will have while undergoing our many hours of beautification.

Also, it is no secret the amount of racial profiling that happens on Harvard
    Yard or at some of the other so-called ivy leauge schools in Boston.

Perhaps those of the caucasian persuasion believe that lady justuce is
    color-blind, but we people of color, are painfully aware she is not.

Silver Poster

No doubt Peggy.

The beauty shop and barber shop both are places where things kind of equal out.

Everyone needs to get their hair done, both rich and poor. Also, by sitting in a confined space for hours on end it is natural to have wide ranging conversations.

I've neverdone good things
    I've never done bad things
    I've never done anything out of the blue

Copy of the arrest report, here: http://bit.ly/oe9VA

Gates story: http://www.theroot.com/views/lawyers...louis-gates-jr

Bruh should've checked himself. Don't care how emo you get, cops have guns and have been taught to control situations. Gates losing control and calling the cop a "racist" ratcheted up the emotions of the situation. All Gates had to do was explain himself and let the officer make sure nothing was amiss.

Imagine your career going down the tubes as a black guy called you a racist for no apparent reason and you could see the conundrum the officer faced (he was responding to a call of a man breaking into a house). The cop allowed them both to save face by leaving, but Gates wouldn't let it go.

The cop had little choice but to arrest him, as needless as it was.

The charges will be dropped, but Harvard should reprimand him for being a total d-bag.

Veteran Poster

I'm scared of white cops.

Junior Poster

i'm scared of black professors...

Nothing to see here folks.

Quote Originally Posted by tubgirl
    i'm scared of black professors...
    im scared of your avatar;

Living your dream! Just call me your superhero! JIX
    1/3 of the Legendary Trifecta called O ED & the Jizzzyyy...
    PeekyMcWatchmeFUCK!
    OEJTM-#DEGENERATES
    HBSF-FETC

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by deee757
    his stock just went up

he can now (if he chooses) leave Harvard and go to another University and probably have a best seller book on the NY Times list in the coming months if he so chooses.........

up until now no one really knew who he was
    Nobody knew who Henry Louis Gates Jr was before now? are u serious?...

All this and a man cant tell the police everything is ok, and they just leave?
    Deee, no disrespect but if you walked into any barbershop or stripclub or hair salon in the hood prior to his arrest the odds of anyone knowing who you were talking about had you said his name would have been rare if at all acknowledged.............cmon now.
    Ah, so your comment about angling for moving from Harvard to another University was in reference to hood-based/stripclub-directed institutions of higher learning. That makes more sense.

Reading comprehension is an under-rated skill.

Too bad.

"That's what i thought you said."