125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Elvis Presley

69 55.20%
  • Michael Jackson

56 44.80%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Elvis vs Jacko

Junior Poster

I say Elvis, but it's all really subjective anyway.

I did find it interesting that some called Elvis out on alledgedly being a racist...but no one called out Jackson on his alledged sexual abuse of children.

I don't really think either accusation has anything to do with being a great entertainer, but...it was interesting to see that alledgedly being a racist was a worse accusation...on this board anyway.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by hippifried
    It's not about record sales. It's about quality of entertainment (subjective at best), showmanship, & innovation.

For pure showmanship, I've never seen anyone top James Brown. How come he never comes up in these conversations?
    Agree with you there! Pretty fuckin' sad, as he blew both Elvis and Jacko away!

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBellucci
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009AD
    Quote Originally Posted by dbev
    Before Elvis there was nothing.
    John Lennon
    So Elvis invented rock music?
    Nope. He ripped it off from black culture.

~BB~
    I don't know about rippin' off culture? But he (Elvis) did ripoff Black music and dance. Same later with Led Zeppelin and Eric Clapton.
    Granted, they had talent, but give credit where credit is do!!!
    And John Wayne was a Nazi!

There was no ripoff. It's called influence. Rock 'n Roll is rhythmic blues for the most part, but it takes influence from all over. So does the blues really. It's just folk music. The genre of folk music is nearly indistinguishable between white & black. Listen to Robert Johnson or Nathan Beauregard, & tell me how that's a whole lot different from the Irish country folk music from Appalachia. Add the Afro-Latin rhythms to the various blues & country stuff, mix in classic symphonic keyings, show tunes, & jazz improvisation, & voila: Rock 'n Roll!

Music is eclectic by its very nature, & creates its own culture.

Toot, whistle, plunk, & boom!

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Junior Poster

Again music is not a sport.Who was/is the best quarterback in the pros?Joe Montana,Brent Favre,Johnny Unitas,Warren Moon,Peyton,Eli,or Archie?
    Again NO ONE has accurate record/CD sales figures since the Chinese have added CD and DVD copying to their conquests.
    Here are a few things to consider:
    Michael Jackson's metamorphis from child star to superstar (producer Quincy Jones).Elvis Presley original attempt at success in Nashville?Zero (go home kid).Enter Sun Records producer Sam Phillips=superstar.The Beatles audition at Decca records?Decca's chief A &R guy tells their manager "Mr Epstein,you really should stick to your families furniture business.Groups with guitars are on the way out"(1962).Beatles meet producer George Martin,and they are on their way.
    Some of the most talented people you and I do not know are session musicians,who give the bite to the artists songs.
    I can remember here in Nashville when Sheryl Crow was signing her CD's in front of Tootsies Orchid Lounge(maximum attendence 70).
    I can remember talking to Kenny Chesney when he worked at EL Chico's restaurant.
    I am a bit to young to remember when Jimi Hendrix was fired while backing Little Richard at the Embers club in Nashville for being too 'flamboyant" and taking away from Little Richards act(1967 I would have been nine).
    My point is that any aspiring musicians,dancer,actor,actresses,or artists out there=get the right producer,manager,talent agent to help you move forward and forget one or two no's from the "experts".Hasta La Proxima gente.

Vasto Lorde Gold Poster Quiet Reflections's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Johnson
    I say Elvis, but it's all really subjective anyway.

I did find it interesting that some called Elvis out on alledgedly being a racist...but no one called out Jackson on his alledged sexual abuse of children.

I don't really think either accusation has anything to do with being a great entertainer, but...it was interesting to see that alledgedly being a racist was a worse accusation...on this board anyway.
    you must not be paying attention. there were about 3 threads where people were teeing of on mike about being a child molester
    http://www.hungangels.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=46521
    http://www.hungangels.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=46571
    http://www.hungangels.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=46507
    Don't act New. Around here we are equal opportunity haters

Senior Member Platinum Poster giovanni_hotel's Avatar

ELvis was no racist; in that there is no shred of historical or anecdotal evidence that he believed Black people were inferior to White people based on the color of their skin.

The problem a lot of Black people can't help having with Mr. Presley is that he was annointed the King of Rock and Roll by performing Black music to white kids in the late 1950s and 60s.

Many Black artists from that period didn't have the opportunities to perform their own music to large white audiences, while Elvis and his producers were able to re-package that Black 'juke-house' blues/country sound into an acceptable White All American sex symbol and make millions.

Remember, when Elvis first started out, he caught hell for being too Black in his style and presentation.

When Elvis was in HS, in Memphis, most of his free time was spent socializing with Black performers and musicians.

Sure, he later developed his own style, but to call the man the King of Rock and Roll when he was merely performing music originated and innovated by others is a travesty.

But to call him a racist, from everything I've seen and read of him, is flawed.

He surrounded himself with Black folks, and was very Black friendy in his private and professional life.

How many 'racists' record songs like "In The Ghetto"?

The Black gospel group, the Sweet Inspirations, were Elvis's backup singers in the 1970s.

There is understandable resentment towards Elvis by many Black people, but I wouldn't go so far as to call him racist.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Bella Doll Platinum Poster BellaBellucci's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by giovanni_hotel
    ELvis was no racist; in that there is no shred of historical or anecdotal evidence that he believed Black people were inferior to White people based on the color of their skin.

The problem a lot of Black people can't help having with Mr. Presley is that he was annointed the King of Rock and Roll by performing Black music to white kids in the late 1950s and 60s.

Many Black artists from that period didn't have the opportunities to perform their own music to large white audiences, while Elvis and his producers were able to re-package that Black 'juke-house' blues/country sound into an acceptable White All American sex symbol and make millions.

Remember, when Elvis first started out, he caught hell for being too Black in his style and presentation.

When Elvis was in HS, in Memphis, most of his free time was spent socializing with Black performers and musicians.

Sure, he later developed his own style, but to call the man the King of Rock and Roll when he was merely performing music originated and innovated by others is a travesty.

But to call him a racist, from everything I've seen and read of him, is flawed.

He surrounded himself with Black folks, and was very Black friendy in his private and professional life.

How many 'racists' record songs like "In The Ghetto"?

The Black gospel group, the Sweet Inspirations, were Elvis's backup singers in the 1970s.

There is understandable resentment towards Elvis by many Black people, but I wouldn't go so far as to call him racist.
    Totally agreed!

~BB~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bella_4_172.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	250092  

I have to say MJ. I'm a little biased though because I was born the same year Elvis died, which means I grew up in the MJ era. All I can remember seeing was MJ blowing it up from here to Hong Kong. I know Elvis was very big, but it just seemed that MJ's global popularity is unmatched.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Junior Poster

Default Re: Elvis vs Jacko

Quote Originally Posted by JamesHunt
    who was the best?

Even though Elvis ended up a 42 yo overweight burger guzzling druggie, I still think he blows whacko Jacko off the planet. What say you lot???
    Elvis didn't end up a 42 yo overweight burger guzzling druggie. He ended up a 42 yo overweight peanut butter, bacon, and banana sandwich guzzling druggie.