Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Junior Poster

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

That site is missing the last three crashes, but it has some good stats on in and you people should look at that. The three most recent are on the home page, however.

I jump out of planes for a living and I have never had an incident. I am also in the process of getting my pilot's license and never had an incident there. The vast majority of pilots never have any kind of catastrophic incident and the reason that airliners get so much press is because there is usually a sudden potential loss of life involved in every major incident. It just so happens that the Air France aircraft was likely suddenly stressed by an upheaval of unplanned for turbulence which literally broke the plane's back. NO aircraft that size would have likely survived that bar some military aircraft.

You are all delusional if you think that a couple of incidents are the start of a trend. Give me a decade worth of evidence and I might start believing you then. Qantas hasn't had a fatal incident in 58 years (the majority of the 9 they did have a result of WWII more than anything else) and they fly both Boeing and Airbus, so cut the crap and do some fucking research.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit... what a ride!"
    -Anon-

Quote Originally Posted by Caff_Racer
    The problem with Airbus is that it's French.
    those damned pacifist >_< no wonder they havent fixed it....

Living your dream! Just call me your superhero! JIX
    1/3 of the Legendary Trifecta called O ED & the Jizzzyyy...
    PeekyMcWatchmeFUCK!
    OEJTM-#DEGENERATES
    HBSF-FETC

I love Jesus too, he's hung. I can't wait for him to get off work at the U-hall place. His nuts always smell like shit after a hard labor day, and his cheesie uncut dick is yummie

Quote Originally Posted by jcinva
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009AD
    ps: HA is not the place to look for love, I'm sure you know that, just wanted to remind you.
    WHAT?! You mean you're all just wasting my time?!!

mmmmm beefy Platinum Poster rockabilly's Avatar

Your avatar is making me have impure thoughts Danielle ... Thank you ...again.

Quote Originally Posted by loren
    I'm not too big on the idea of flying anyway. If you're in a car crash, you'll usually survive. You may have to be cut out of your car, but you'll usually survive. Whereas most (nearly all) plane crashes are fatal.
    This is simply not true, I work in the airline industry , and statistically flying is still the safest mode of transport. Where it is true that a crash on for example water, drastically lowers the survival rate (Hudson accident was 70% luck), research shows that after the 1st impact most of the people are still alive in the aircraf. Most burn to death or die of smoke inhalation in the panic that that insues, others forget how to open their seatbelts cause of shock (since these differ from the ones in their cars e.g.). When you fly , pay attention to the safety demo (video) of the flight attendants, and check/count where the nearest exits are. These simple actions can give you the precious seconds , you will need to survive a crash...

"POOR IS THE TGIRL WHOSE PLEASURES DEPENDS ON THE PERMISSION OF ANOTHER"

Thanks for being a voice of reason Gillian. For those of you afraid to fly consider this, in 2008 37,313 people died in motor vehicle crashes in the U.S. alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilian
    Quote Originally Posted by loren
    I'm not too big on the idea of flying anyway. If you're in a car crash, you'll usually survive. You may have to be cut out of your car, but you'll usually survive. Whereas most (nearly all) plane crashes are fatal.
    This is simply not true, I work in the airline industry , and statistically flying is still the safest mode of transport. Where it is true that a crash on for example water, drastically lowers the survival rate (Hudson accident was 70% luck), research shows that after the 1st impact most of the people are still alive in the aircraf. Most burn to death or die of smoke inhalation in the panic that that insues, others forget how to open their seatbelts cause of shock (since these differ from the ones in their cars e.g.). When you fly , pay attention to the safety demo (video) of the flight attendants, and check/count where the nearest exits are. These simple actions can give you the precious seconds , you will need to survive a crash...

Quote Originally Posted by suckseed
    you guys would drool over Klinger as long as he was in a dress.

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Gilian
    research shows that after the 1st impact most of the people are still alive in the aircraft.
    I have to disagree with that. Most people in air crashes, as in high speed car crashes are killed instantly due to massive deceleration, the brain whacks the skull, and organs like the heart are paralyzed by the impact with the rib cage. If you do manage to survive it and not get burnt to death... (you wont know about it as you're probably unconscious), you'll probably end up like this guy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8090685.stm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.consultwebs.com/legal_glo..._glossary.html

Acceleration: The sudden movement of the brain inside the skull during an impact which causes the tearing of neurons and connections deep inside the brain.

Acceleration/Deceleration: A closed head injury often sustained in car accidents, where the brain smashes forwards and then backwards, rebounding against the walls of the skull, causing damage to both the frontal lobes and the back of the brain.

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by tao1kiku
    "this fly-by-wire shite, where the pilot doesn't have direct control over the ailerons, rudder etc"

Just about all military jets and even helicopters are fly by wire. And considering they have ppl shooting at them and doing high G manouvers, they have an outstanding safety record.

AN aircraft like an mechanical vehicle is as safe as the person controlling it and how well it is maintained.

If we pulled forms of transporation from service simply becuase of crashes, there would be no auto industry.

Try looking up those stats - how many ppl are killed on the roads each year? And you're saying airplanes are not safe?
    I'm only repeating what an airline pilot told me. Maybe he was talking shite, I'm no expert on the matter.

Professional Poster

Wow. What a bunch of crap!
    First off , planes have been fly by wire since forever, but they're backed up by mechanical systems--- they have to be!
    Second, more people have been in more than one car crash than people in more than one plane crash... don't be stupid! Statistics can be used to support ANYTHING! You can say air travel is safer because only x amount of people die in plane crashes, but that stat is useless unless you factor in the number of man-hours people spend in a car and a plane. Just about everyone who flies also will be in a car that day. Same cannot be said about drivers being on a plane.
    Third, most crashes are not attributable to the manufacturer, but to pilot or carrier error. If you check airline records, you'd be amazed how many times maintenance procedures and directives are not followed, or how many times a carrier does a major alteration and doesn't redo weight and balance calcs or some serious shit like that. When the manufacturer says "you need to fix this", you really should fix it!!!

"I don't see it that way. I see it as a complete and total betrayal of my testicles!"

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Caff_Racer
    The problem with Airbus is that it's French.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscart.../kscn1221l.jpg

Thank Christ there are no french cars running on our highways.

You are cordially invited to toss my salad